Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

2011 Epic Comp 29er

My LBS has one in my size and offered it for a smoking deal. We put it on their scale and totally stock, including the test-ride pedals and reflectors, it was 28.1 pounds. Kinda portly; I wish they had a model in between it and the Carbon Comp, just can't swing $4K +. Anyway, I was wondering what you wise folks thought about the stock components and maybe dropping a pound or so without compromising durability (I weigh about 210 lbs) and spending loads of cash. I realize the wheelset would probably be the most effective place to start, but let's say I had around $500 to spend without messing with the wheels. Where would you begin if you wanted to shave a few grams (already have Shimano XT pedals that I love, so that's out)?

mtbr member
    What size is it? Very curious, as I am 99% sure I am getting the same bike and haven't found weight info. Mine would be an XL.

I agree, as far as the price gap stepping up to the Carbon Comp, and not really getting any component upgrades. I too would spend a few hundred to lighten up a comp. Coming off a 2006 Stumpy FSR, XL that I got down to 27.9 pounds. Not bad for that kind of bike. Hate to go heavier on a new bike.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oops, it was a large.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I can't find much on things like the seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebars, crankset, bottom bracket, etc. Another shop weighed a large Giant Anthem X 29er for me and it came in at 26.1. Specialized might lose some sales to Giant by not having something in between the Comp and Carbon Comp. I'm still torn between the two bikes, but the Giant seems to have a few negatives to me: low bottom bracket, steep seat tube - resulting in tighter cockpit in a large, inferior suspension design (IMO), no rear-end thru axle, etc. Still I'm gonna give it a test ride. I've ridden a friend's 2011 Epic Comp in a large and know it rides awesome, but like I said, just a little too portly stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ya i test rode that bike and instead bought the SJ FSR 29 elite - with pedals its about 31pounds! But this bike has some nice upgrades like the adjustable seat post

1 - weight is over rated
    2 - at 31 pounds this thing still climbs great
    3 - i think people fudge their true bike weights or dont weigh with everything on the bike ready to ride

29ers are a little heavier - i would not worry about it

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime
    ya i test rode that bike and instead bought the SJ FSR 29 elite - with pedals its about 31pounds! But this bike has some nice upgrades like the adjustable seat post

1 - weight is over rated
    2 - at 31 pounds this thing still climbs great
    3 - i think people fudge their true bike weights or dont weigh with everything on the bike ready to ride

29ers are a little heavier - i would not worry about it
    I dig what you're saying and agree. If I needed more suspension I'd not worry too much if my ride was over 30lbs. But around here most trails are seem built for a 4-inch travel 29er like the Epic. Also, my current old-beater 26er is 27.5 lbs. And I want to go lighter but still reap the benefits of the 29er platform.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Absolutley change out the wheelset!!!

1) Nothing else you can do is capable of reducing the more weight in one shot than a lighter wheelset.

2) And...since a lighter weight wheelset means less rotational weight for you to push, that upgrade would also be recognized more while you are riding than any other upgrade would be.

The components on that bike are fine, nothing wrong with them.

Upgrade the wheelset!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone know the weight of the spendy Carbon Comp version?
    I love the idea of the "brain", I just wish the Epic's were a bit more affordable... and/or lighter.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    The wheelset on that bike weighs 2198 grams w/skewers. You can do a heck of a lot better than that. A wheelset in the 1700-1800 gram range would save you around one pound!

I'm seeing wheelsets in that weight range on eBay for about $500 bucks.
    Last edited by Hawg; 01-30-2011 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My Carbon Comp will be at the shop tomorrow. I'll weigh it then.

But I definitely agree about shaving weight off the wheelset, except I thought I had heard the wheelset weight was 1900g, maybe that was without the skewers?

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix
    Anyone know the weight of the spendy Carbon Comp version?
    I love the idea of the "brain", I just wish the Epic's were a bit more affordable... and/or lighter.
    The brain part of the shock adds a noticable amount of weight. I was surprized at the weight of my M5 epic 26er weight when I weighed it. It was almost 1/2 pound heavier than my M4 SJ frame!!!

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any recommendations for wheelset with hubs that work with the front and rear quick release and thru axle? Seems like a lot of folks dig the stan's offerings. A buddy has some Crossmaxes on his Tallboy that he swears by.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    You can't go wrong with Stan's, Mavic or DT Swiss. I saw some nice wheelsets on eBay under "29er" in the mountain wheelsets section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    You can't go wrong with Stan's, Mavic or DT Swiss. I saw some nice wheelsets on eBay under "29er" in the mountain wheelsets section.
    pmed you

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm just sad that when I decide to switch to another wheelset I'll be running a QR fork and will lose the stiffness that the OS28 is supposed to have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So buy that bike, and beg and/or beat the dealer over the head to include a killer deal on a set of the new carbon Roval wheels. With retail at $1,500, you MAY save nearly 2 pounds for $1,000 if you play the deal right.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    +1 on the Rovals. I had my first ride on them this weekend. Light and really laterally stiff. My Comp Carbon XL weighed 25.6 straight from the shop w/o pedals and with Rovals. Bike is a rocket ship.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    for comparison, I just built a 2011 Epic 29er aluminum frame out of my own parts selection. It came out to 25.1 lbs.

Frame: Large Epic Frame 29er (alloy)
    Fork: Reba XX, 100mm taperered
    Wheels: Notubes 29" Crest w/ American Classic hubs and revolution spokes (1450g's)
    Tires: Maxxis Aspen 2.1 (F), Geax Saguro 2.0 (R)
    Bars: Truvativ Noir Team carbon 31.8
    Stem: Bontrager Race X Lite
    Saddle: Prologo Nago Ti
    Crank: Truvativ Noir 44/32/22
    F Der: X7 direct mount
    R Der: XO 9spd, med. cage
    Cassette: XTR 11/32
    Chain: XTR

That was as light as my wallet and durability factor was willing to go. Obviously thats a far cry from the stock build, but thats where I ended up. I could have gone with the Notubes Race 29 wheelset, but opted for the Crest hoop (100g's difference).

You asked about wheels, Id take a hard look at the ZTR Arch prebuilt wheels- theyre under $500 and are excellent wheels. 918xc.com has them instock.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Can the Rovals handle a fat eff like me (210lbs.)? What about the DT Swiss X420SL wheels from the Expert model. My dealer might be able to hook me up with a deal on those and I won't lose the OS28 quick release feature (assuming the Rovals can't handle my weight well).

mtbr member
    I just bought my Comp 29 and upgraded a few things (ergon grips, brain cartridge in the reba, XT pedals and an easton handlebar) which most likely added weight to the bike. I`m in the same boat as you, looking for a wheelset that won't break the bank. At 210lbs myself, I`m going to definitely stay away from the Carbon Rovals....Just because I would be paranoid everytime I went for a ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    Can the Rovals handle a fat eff like me (210lbs.)? What about the DT Swiss X420SL wheels from the Expert model. My dealer might be able to hook me up with a deal on those and I won't lose the OS28 quick release feature (assuming the Rovals can't handle my weight well).
    Time will tell. I'm 6'4" and 223lbs. I had a set of Alu Rovals on my 10 Epic Comp 29er and felt flex. Also broke rear spokes twice. The carbon Rovals feel much stiffer. Spec rep said they could be respoked with standard DT Swiss straight pull spokes if needed. Figure I can go to a Competition or even a Champion set of spokes in the rear if needed. Still came out way cheaper than ENVE. Unbelievable acceleration and much faster line changes. I thought the handling was a tad slow on my 10 epic but I now know it was the gyroscopic effect of the wheels. Had to lighten my touch this weekend! The whole bike feels like one connected unit when railing corners. Love it! Also, Spec rep said weight difference between Carbon Comp and Alu Comp was 3/4lb. I'm also loving the 2x10. Doing everything I did in the middle ring before in the big ring. Shifting up front is very quick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My Medium Carbon Comp 29er weighed 26.5 lbs on the scales with tubes and the stock resin pedals. Wheels are the first that have to go if you have money for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What other options are out there for upgrading the wheel set, rims or hubs, consider the 142/setup and the os28?

I'm very new to this, looking at an Epic Comp or Anthem x2 and a wheel upgrade for this spring, and it seems like the optiions are much harder to come by for the epic. But that may just be my perception?

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by seewhatididther
    What other options are out there for upgrading the wheel set, rims or hubs, consider the 142/setup and the os28?

I'm very new to this, looking at an Epic Comp or Anthem x2 and a wheel upgrade for this spring, and it seems like the optiions are much harder to come by for the epic. But that may just be my perception?
    I don't know, hopefully somebody does. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you can swing it, get the Rovals. I just got mine and they are amazing. 28mm wide, 1450g, stiff and cheaper than any other major manufacturer carbon option out there. DT Swiss rear also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can a 210 lb. guy really notice a significant difference by making his bike 2 lbs. lighter?

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    Can a 210 lb. guy really notice a significant difference by making his bike 2 lbs. lighter?
    If the majority of the weight loss is in the wheelset, then ABSOLUTELY! Just be aware of lighter wheelsets. Make sure they can handle your weight.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Probably depends on how you define significant. When I got my full suspension I added about 3 pounds over my hardtail, I could really feel the weight. The comfort and downhill prowess was so much better I got used to it. Whenever I go back to the hardtail I'm a little weirded out by it's lightness at first but I totally dig what you're saying. I'm just not sure I'll ever be much lighter than 200 lbs., maybe 195 if I really starve and lose muscle mass. That said, I'd really like to weigh about 195 but the wife has threatened to leave me if I get skinnier than that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If the majority of the weight loss is in the wheelset, then ABSOLUTELY! Just be aware of lighter wheelsets. Make sure they can handle your weight.
    ++1

Mtc
    mtbr member

Don't know of any other OS28 hubs, kind of feel like its the Spec band aid for their flexy wheels.
    At any rate We're building Hope pro2/supercomp/crests for a 125lbs customer. I'll post up some weight comparisons on wheels tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Industry 9 offers a 12x142 rear axle conversion kit that allows their wheels to fit the Syntace X-12 System. Their 29er wheelsets use the Stans Rims and are in the 1600 to 1850 grams range.

The I9 Enduros on my 2011 Epic 29er are not the lightest wheels at 1840 grams, but they are bullet proof. I am an average rider at 175lbs and the thoughts of chipping carbon away from my rims in a rock garden makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. My carbon cranks see enough abuse

http://www.industrynine.net/

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall in NC
    Industry 9 offers a 12x142 rear axle conversion kit that allows their wheels to fit the Syntace X-12 System. Their 29er wheelsets use the Stans Rims and are in the 1600 to 1850 grams range.

The I9 Enduros on my 2011 Epic 29er are not the lightest wheels at 1840 grams, but they are bullet proof. I am an average rider at 175lbs and the thoughts of chipping carbon away from my rims in a rock garden makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. My carbon cranks see enough abuse

http://www.industrynine.net/

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

+1 on the Industry Nine wheels! I just built up my Epic Expert Evo R 29er yesterday with the I9 XC 29 wheels (gold spokes and hubs). They look incredible not to mention really stiff and quick with the 3 degree engagement. Other places to save weight are cassette, saddle, post, bars and stem. I dropped 3 lbs off the weight of the stock bike!

J.
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    So far I love my epic carbon comp! Still deciding on rims, either ZTR Hubs laced with Arch's or DT Swiss 240's laced with Arch's for me.

The only upgrades so far is a Thomson Setback seatpost, Gobi XM saddle and XT pedals (27.30lbs) not bad!!!

Getting ready for my first 6hr solo Saturday on her, I cant wait!!!

just ride

your weight would be fine on the Roval EL 29er wheel set, most specialized wheelsets are rated for 250lb rider including gear, I spent all last year on control SL that weighed 1300grams without problems (I weigh about 195). My hardtail 29er has the EL29's and I love them. The EL29 set is built with Supercomp spokes and a solid rim, the rear axel can be swapped to the 142+ system with a DT Swiss conversion kit. If you can get a set I believe it would be well worth your money.

With the warrenty you can t beat them. My only suggestion if you order them is have your dealer order a few extra spokes for the front and rear from specialized, they are a long straight pull spokes that many shops do not carry, nor are they readily avalible from the spoke suppliers.
    just ride... who cares how big your wheels are

mtbr member
    I thought I would list my build (see below). I wanted something that would allow me to do to 12 hour rides on terrain ranging from fire roads to technical rocky descents. I am riding a heavier wheelset (1850 grams) and a 185MM rotor up front, but I feel that I need the extra robustness on the descents.

I expected this build to weigh about a pound less than what it does. I could shop around for lighter tires, but the Captains work well for me on the various terrain I ride. Suggestions?

Pic taken before some upgrades

2011 Specialized Epic Medium Frameset (alloy)

Fork: FOX F29 RC, 100mm taperered
    Wheels: Industry Nine Euduro 29ers (Notubes 29" Flow rims/Industry Nine hubs & spokes)
    Tires: Non S-Works Specialized Captain Controls 2.0 (I keep cutting the side walls on the S-Works Tires)
    Brakes: Custom Avid Elixir CR SL, hydraulic disc (185MM/160MM Rotors)
    Stem: Thomson X4, 100MM
    Saddle: Specialized Hendge (Expert TI Phenom on order)
    F Der: SLX direct mount
    Cassette: SRAM 990 11/34
    Chain: KMC Hollow pin, X9SL
    Shifters: SRAM X9 9 Speed
    Pedals: Shimano M520

Total weight = 27lbs 14oz (27lbs without pedals)
    Last edited by Randall in NC; 02-14-2011 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22
    So far I love my epic carbon comp! Still deciding on rims, either ZTR Hubs laced with Arch's or DT Swiss 240's laced with Arch's for me.

The only upgrades so far is a Thomson Setback seatpost, Gobi XM saddle and XT pedals (27.30lbs) not bad!!!

Getting ready for my first 6hr solo Saturday on her, I cant wait!!!

Good Luck in your Race!

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall in NC
    I thought I would list my build (see below). I wanted something that would allow me to do to 12 hour rides on terrain ranging from fire roads to technical rocky descents. I am riding a heavier wheelset (1850 grams) and a 185MM rotor up front, but I feel that I need the extra robustness on the descents.

I expected this build to weigh about a pound less than what it does. I could shop around for lighter tires, but the Captains work well for me on the various terrain I ride. Suggestions?

2011 Specialized Epic Medium Frameset (alloy)

Fork: FOX F29 RC, 100mm taperered
    Wheels: Industry Nine Euduro 29ers (Notubes 29" Flow rims/Industry Nine hubs & spokes)
    Tires: Non S-Works Specialized Captain Controls 2.0 (I keep cutting the side walls on the S-Works Tires)
    Brakes: Custom Avid Elixir CR SL, hydraulic disc (185MM/160MM Rotors)
    Stem: Thomson X4, 100MM
    Saddle: Specialized Hendge (Expert TI Phenom on order)
    F Der: SLX direct mount
    Cassette: SRAM 990 11/34
    Chain: KMC Hollow pin
    Pedals: Shimano M520

Total weight = 27lbs 14oz (27lbs without pedals)
    Suggestions for shaving weight w/o compromising safety??
    Sure:

Pedals: If you like Shimano: XTR Race; If you don't mind some float, 2ti Eggbeaters
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Chain: KMC SL9X or SL10X
    Cassette: Shimano XTR 970 11-34
    Front Der: Shimano XTR 970 Type-E w/o bracket (for Direct Mount)
    Grips: ESI foam (incredible!)

What type of shifters?

mtbr member
    Suggestions for shaving weight w/o compromising safety??
    Sure:

Pedals: If you like Shimano: XTR Race; If you don't mind some float, 2ti Eggbeaters
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
    Chain: KMC SL9X or SL10X
    Cassette: Shimano XTR 970 11-34
    Front Der: Shimano XTR 970 Type-E w/o bracket (for Direct Mount)
    Grips: ESI foam (incredible!)

What type of shifters?
    So at a glance, that would be about 300 grams of weight loss for $600? Maybe I should buy that S-Works Epic after all

Any tire suggestions?

I am using SRAM X-9 shifters, btw

Thanks

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just bought a 2011 epic comp 29er. I was curious what settings most of you guys run the brain at for general xc/trail riding? I'm looking for good small, medium bump compliance with just a little damping to hold for when I stand to climb. I weigh about 180-185 with gear. I know this is really a ride and see how it feels type of adjustment but I was just curious since I just got the bike. Thanks!

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Not familiar with the fork but with the rear shock brain, start at 4 clicks out from full. You'll probably be happy somewhere between 4 to 6 clicks back from full.

just ride

big guys need sweet bike parts to!
    just ride... who cares how big your wheels are

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not familiar with the fork but with the rear shock brain, start at 4 clicks out from full. You'll probably be happy somewhere between 4 to 6 clicks back from full.
    Start 4 clicks out from full firm or full open?

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 24hrsordie
    big guys need sweet bike parts to!
    I wonder, does a 160-ish lbs. rider notice a big difference dropping about 1.5 lbs. from their bike? I figure dropping a couple pounds for me is nearly 1% overall, so I wonder if the same percentage off for a lighter rider feels about the same? Maybe a 1% difference either way isn't really noticeable. Jabrabu, any thoughts?

Gor'n Ridin'!
    I wonder, does a 160-ish lbs. rider notice a big difference dropping about 1.5 lbs. from their bike? I figure dropping a couple pounds for me is nearly 1% overall, so I wonder if the same percentage off for a lighter rider feels about the same? Maybe a 1% difference either way isn't really noticeable. Jabrabu, any thoughts?
    If the weight is removed from the wheels mostly, then yes, ABSOLUTELY!!!! Rotational weight is the most noticable aspect of riding, especially climbing.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If the weight is removed from the wheels mostly, then yes, ABSOLUTELY!!!! Rotational weight is the most noticable aspect of riding, especially climbing.
    Yeah, that's been my experience too. I even noticed on my heavier full suspension feeling a big difference when I got a wheelset that was only a bit lighter but the weight was concentrated nearer the hub than the rim compared to the old wheels. So maybe the most cost effective/performance upgrade is the Comp for around $2.6K with the Roval carbons (assuming I can get them for about a grand).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The carbons aren't just light, they are also very stiff. Also useful for us big guys.

mtbr member
    Ordered my Epic Comp 29er yesterday.

That lime green and black looks even better in person, judging from the floor model. The green looks great in bright light. It's like a metal-flake effect.

I'm getting excited. I wasn't at first, since I have spent soooo much time scrutinizing my decision. I feel good about it now though. Convinced that the bang for the buck is really high for this bike. Got a great deal too. Not to mention it's a great LBS, and I look forward to dealing with them for setup, service, etc.

LBS will do the tubeless set up for me when they build the bike.

Definitely going to be looking at a wheel upgrade. A lot of the reason I got this model Epic is that it would leave me room to afford a nice wheel set. Still can't believe you have to get an S-Works to get better wheels. Sure, they are carbon Rovals, but still...

The LBS said that DT Swiss and Mavic (I think) are working on components that will be direct-fit with the front and rear. I am strongly inclined to get something that natively fits.

Someone suggested the OS28 hubs were a "Spec band aid for their flexy wheels". I don't think so. 29er wheels will be compared to 26" wheels for a long time. That comparison is bound to make 29" wheels look more flexible, because for a comparable build, 29" wheels will flex more than 26" wheels. Seems pretty logical to apply some new tech bits to address that. At least that's my opinion. In the end it doesn't matter, since the bike is on the way.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL
    Start 4 clicks out from full firm or full open?
    Full firm

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Congrats IndyDave. The green does look great, my riding buddy has one and it's sharp. I thought it blew the other one away based upon pics but then i actually saw the other one at the shop and it also looks really nice. The lbs did tell my friend that Mavic Crossmax wheels will soon have the OS28 thingies available, pretty sure I heard him correctly. They actually recommended those to him over the Rovals but I'm not really sure why, maybe it's the cost difference. Anyway, let us know your thoughts after you get some rides under your belt.

Forgot to mention, he just did a couple upgrades, a Thomson Elite laid-back post and some Raceface Turbine riser bars.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the Purchase, IndyDave. Nice to see another Green Epic 29er out there. You'll love it. While you're waiting for those wheels to hit the market, think about upgrading the fork with the brain cartridge! Only cost a few hundered and is an excellent upgrade!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast