Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

2011 Epic Comp 29er

My LBS has one in my size and offered it for a smoking deal. We put it on their scale and totally stock, including the test-ride pedals and reflectors, it was 28.1 pounds. Kinda portly; I wish they had a model in between it and the Carbon Comp, just can't swing $4K +. Anyway, I was wondering what you wise folks thought about the stock components and maybe dropping a pound or so without compromising durability (I weigh about 210 lbs) and spending loads of cash. I realize the wheelset would probably be the most effective place to start, but let's say I had around $500 to spend without messing with the wheels. Where would you begin if you wanted to shave a few grams (already have Shimano XT pedals that I love, so that's out)?

mtbr member
    What size is it? Very curious, as I am 99% sure I am getting the same bike and haven't found weight info. Mine would be an XL.

I agree, as far as the price gap stepping up to the Carbon Comp, and not really getting any component upgrades. I too would spend a few hundred to lighten up a comp. Coming off a 2006 Stumpy FSR, XL that I got down to 27.9 pounds. Not bad for that kind of bike. Hate to go heavier on a new bike.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oops, it was a large.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I can't find much on things like the seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebars, crankset, bottom bracket, etc. Another shop weighed a large Giant Anthem X 29er for me and it came in at 26.1. Specialized might lose some sales to Giant by not having something in between the Comp and Carbon Comp. I'm still torn between the two bikes, but the Giant seems to have a few negatives to me: low bottom bracket, steep seat tube - resulting in tighter cockpit in a large, inferior suspension design (IMO), no rear-end thru axle, etc. Still I'm gonna give it a test ride. I've ridden a friend's 2011 Epic Comp in a large and know it rides awesome, but like I said, just a little too portly stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ya i test rode that bike and instead bought the SJ FSR 29 elite - with pedals its about 31pounds! But this bike has some nice upgrades like the adjustable seat post

1 - weight is over rated
    2 - at 31 pounds this thing still climbs great
    3 - i think people fudge their true bike weights or dont weigh with everything on the bike ready to ride

29ers are a little heavier - i would not worry about it

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime
    ya i test rode that bike and instead bought the SJ FSR 29 elite - with pedals its about 31pounds! But this bike has some nice upgrades like the adjustable seat post

1 - weight is over rated
    2 - at 31 pounds this thing still climbs great
    3 - i think people fudge their true bike weights or dont weigh with everything on the bike ready to ride

29ers are a little heavier - i would not worry about it
    I dig what you're saying and agree. If I needed more suspension I'd not worry too much if my ride was over 30lbs. But around here most trails are seem built for a 4-inch travel 29er like the Epic. Also, my current old-beater 26er is 27.5 lbs. And I want to go lighter but still reap the benefits of the 29er platform.

official eMpTyBRain
    Absolutley change out the wheelset!!!

1) Nothing else you can do is capable of reducing the more weight in one shot than a lighter wheelset.

2) And...since a lighter weight wheelset means less rotational weight for you to push, that upgrade would also be recognized more while you are riding than any other upgrade would be.

The components on that bike are fine, nothing wrong with them.

Upgrade the wheelset!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone know the weight of the spendy Carbon Comp version?
    I love the idea of the "brain", I just wish the Epic's were a bit more affordable... and/or lighter.

official eMpTyBRain
    The wheelset on that bike weighs 2198 grams w/skewers. You can do a heck of a lot better than that. A wheelset in the 1700-1800 gram range would save you around one pound!

I'm seeing wheelsets in that weight range on eBay for about $500 bucks.
    Last edited by Hawg; 01-30-2011 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My Carbon Comp will be at the shop tomorrow. I'll weigh it then.

But I definitely agree about shaving weight off the wheelset, except I thought I had heard the wheelset weight was 1900g, maybe that was without the skewers?

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix
    Anyone know the weight of the spendy Carbon Comp version?
    I love the idea of the "brain", I just wish the Epic's were a bit more affordable... and/or lighter.
    The brain part of the shock adds a noticable amount of weight. I was surprized at the weight of my M5 epic 26er weight when I weighed it. It was almost 1/2 pound heavier than my M4 SJ frame!!!

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any recommendations for wheelset with hubs that work with the front and rear quick release and thru axle? Seems like a lot of folks dig the stan's offerings. A buddy has some Crossmaxes on his Tallboy that he swears by.

official eMpTyBRain
    You can't go wrong with Stan's, Mavic or DT Swiss. I saw some nice wheelsets on eBay under "29er" in the mountain wheelsets section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    You can't go wrong with Stan's, Mavic or DT Swiss. I saw some nice wheelsets on eBay under "29er" in the mountain wheelsets section.
    pmed you

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm just sad that when I decide to switch to another wheelset I'll be running a QR fork and will lose the stiffness that the OS28 is supposed to have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So buy that bike, and beg and/or beat the dealer over the head to include a killer deal on a set of the new carbon Roval wheels. With retail at $1,500, you MAY save nearly 2 pounds for $1,000 if you play the deal right.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    +1 on the Rovals. I had my first ride on them this weekend. Light and really laterally stiff. My Comp Carbon XL weighed 25.6 straight from the shop w/o pedals and with Rovals. Bike is a rocket ship.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    for comparison, I just built a 2011 Epic 29er aluminum frame out of my own parts selection. It came out to 25.1 lbs.

Frame: Large Epic Frame 29er (alloy)
    Fork: Reba XX, 100mm taperered
    Wheels: Notubes 29" Crest w/ American Classic hubs and revolution spokes (1450g's)
    Tires: Maxxis Aspen 2.1 (F), Geax Saguro 2.0 (R)
    Bars: Truvativ Noir Team carbon 31.8
    Stem: Bontrager Race X Lite
    Saddle: Prologo Nago Ti
    Crank: Truvativ Noir 44/32/22
    F Der: X7 direct mount
    R Der: XO 9spd, med. cage
    Cassette: XTR 11/32
    Chain: XTR

That was as light as my wallet and durability factor was willing to go. Obviously thats a far cry from the stock build, but thats where I ended up. I could have gone with the Notubes Race 29 wheelset, but opted for the Crest hoop (100g's difference).

You asked about wheels, Id take a hard look at the ZTR Arch prebuilt wheels- theyre under $500 and are excellent wheels. 918xc.com has them instock.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Can the Rovals handle a fat eff like me (210lbs.)? What about the DT Swiss X420SL wheels from the Expert model. My dealer might be able to hook me up with a deal on those and I won't lose the OS28 quick release feature (assuming the Rovals can't handle my weight well).

mtbr member
    I just bought my Comp 29 and upgraded a few things (ergon grips, brain cartridge in the reba, XT pedals and an easton handlebar) which most likely added weight to the bike. I`m in the same boat as you, looking for a wheelset that won't break the bank. At 210lbs myself, I`m going to definitely stay away from the Carbon Rovals....Just because I would be paranoid everytime I went for a ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    Can the Rovals handle a fat eff like me (210lbs.)? What about the DT Swiss X420SL wheels from the Expert model. My dealer might be able to hook me up with a deal on those and I won't lose the OS28 quick release feature (assuming the Rovals can't handle my weight well).
    Time will tell. I'm 6'4" and 223lbs. I had a set of Alu Rovals on my 10 Epic Comp 29er and felt flex. Also broke rear spokes twice. The carbon Rovals feel much stiffer. Spec rep said they could be respoked with standard DT Swiss straight pull spokes if needed. Figure I can go to a Competition or even a Champion set of spokes in the rear if needed. Still came out way cheaper than ENVE. Unbelievable acceleration and much faster line changes. I thought the handling was a tad slow on my 10 epic but I now know it was the gyroscopic effect of the wheels. Had to lighten my touch this weekend! The whole bike feels like one connected unit when railing corners. Love it! Also, Spec rep said weight difference between Carbon Comp and Alu Comp was 3/4lb. I'm also loving the 2x10. Doing everything I did in the middle ring before in the big ring. Shifting up front is very quick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My Medium Carbon Comp 29er weighed 26.5 lbs on the scales with tubes and the stock resin pedals. Wheels are the first that have to go if you have money for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    What other options are out there for upgrading the wheel set, rims or hubs, consider the 142/setup and the os28?

I'm very new to this, looking at an Epic Comp or Anthem x2 and a wheel upgrade for this spring, and it seems like the optiions are much harder to come by for the epic. But that may just be my perception?

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by seewhatididther
    What other options are out there for upgrading the wheel set, rims or hubs, consider the 142/setup and the os28?

I'm very new to this, looking at an Epic Comp or Anthem x2 and a wheel upgrade for this spring, and it seems like the optiions are much harder to come by for the epic. But that may just be my perception?
    I don't know, hopefully somebody does. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you can swing it, get the Rovals. I just got mine and they are amazing. 28mm wide, 1450g, stiff and cheaper than any other major manufacturer carbon option out there. DT Swiss rear also.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast