mtbr member

2011 Epic Comp 29er

I'm torn between the Comp Carbon and the Comp (aluminum). It's a little over $1,000 difference, and yes I know you get 2x10 on the Carbon, but they are otherwise identical bikes. Financially the Comp aluminum is the way to go for me, but do you guys/gals think its THAT huge of a difference? Like, a $1,000+ difference?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Carbon is a little lighter than the aluminum version, and you get the 2X10, but the main selling point would be the increased stiffness in a carbon frame and that carbon can reduce trail chatter a little more. Depends if you can afford the jump in price. If you can, why not?

mtbr member
    Yeah I know man. I was just thinking...if it's a HUGE difference in performance I would swing it. Otherwise, I was going to try to save the extra $1,000. That's a big chunk of change you know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Go Carbon Comp

Quote Originally Posted by xmangox
    I'm torn between the Comp Carbon and the Comp (aluminum). It's a little over $1,000 difference, and yes I know you get 2x10 on the Carbon, but they are otherwise identical bikes. Financially the Comp aluminum is the way to go for me, but do you guys/gals think its THAT huge of a difference? Like, a $1,000+ difference?
    Carbon Comp rocks...and you will like the 2x10...here is mine, albeit with a few changes, yet I was able to get a size large frame down to 23.5 lbs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Epic Comp 29er-123_2306_1.jpg  

DTL
    mtbr member
    What advantages does the 2X10 give you over the standard three ring up front?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    There are advantages to both all of which are based on your ability, and terrain. Some say 2x10 is all hype...yet so were computers when first introduced

mtbr member
    Carbon`s nice and all and the 2x10 is the "next big thing" but let your wallet decide. I personally went with the Comp...had a few extra $$'s leftover to upgrade some things I wanted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I also got the M5 comp model. Mine came with a 2x10 with a 44 tooth bash guard. The crank set between the 2x10 and 3x10 is basicaly the same crankset. Same ring hole spacing. It wouldn’t take much to convert the 3x10 to 2x10. Different rings (if you want). A $40.00 front D. Not sure if the left sifter would need replaced or not. Also the factory 2x10 uses a med cage rearD. Probabely not nessasary. In my opoinon the diff in cost is only about the frame material. Every thing else is just about the same. I went for the M5 and hope to get some miles on the stock wheels then if funds allow do a upgrade on the wheels/hubs. Remember the wheel set is the same between the two models and in my opinon the rear hub may be the week link of both bikes.

mtbr member
    BEAUTIFUL bike Seattle43!!!! Thank you for the very good (and honest) responses guys. I had my first snowy ride on the shop test bike today (M5 2011 Epic Comp 29er) and it was a BLAST!

Coming from an 2007/2008 model Stumpjumper Expert 29er to this new Epic was a night and day difference. You can easily sense that Specialized has made huge improvements in the frame stiffness and this bike feels so fast and agile compared to my old one. I'm thinking the Comp M5 is where I will go and just put money into upgrades as you guys have said. In a few years I'll make the jump to Carbon for my mountain bike. My road bike is a full Carbon 2010 Tarmac but I was happy to put the coin into that since I don't thrash it around like the mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle43 View Post
    Carbon Comp rocks...and you will like the 2x10...here is mine, albeit with a few changes, yet I was able to get a size large frame down to 23.5 lbs!
    What have you changed to lower weight?

After riding for a while, what upgrades were worth it or not?

I just bought same and want to understand if I should draft you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duffin View Post
    What have you changed to lower weight?

After riding for a while, what upgrades were worth it or not?

I just bought same and want to understand if I should draft you.
    The biggest change was purchasing the Roval Carbon wheels to lower the weight. I also took off standard grips and put on foam grips - along with carbon bar. If I were to do it all over again, I would look at Stan's Crest Tubeless (depending on your weight) and save LOTS of $$. I did change out the brakes to Hope V2 - but other than that...same as the pics I posted. I just came back from Leadville 100 MTB and the bike was fantastic. Eight hrs into the ride, I softened the back end and rode home to a 11:31 finish & buckled at 53 years young!

Good luck...the bike works, and it was evident how many other riders like Specialized 29er by the showing in Leadville.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The biggest change was purchasing the Roval Carbon wheels to lower the weight. I also took off standard grips and put on foam grips - along with carbon bar. If I were to do it all over again, I would look at Stan's Crest Tubeless (depending on your weight) and save LOTS of $$. I did change out the brakes to Hope V2 - but other than that...same as the pics I posted. I just came back from Leadville 100 MTB and the bike was fantastic. Eight hrs into the ride, I softened the back end and rode home to a 11:31 finish & buckled at 53 years young!

Good luck...the bike works, and it was evident how many other riders like Specialized 29er by the showing in Leadville.
    You go ol man! I am 47 and drafting you the whole way.

Are you saying you'd advise I should keep my stock 29 DT Swiss X450SL wheels and use Stan's tubeless kit? Or is the weight reduction worth it?

Why did you change the Avid Elixir R SL brakes to Hope V2? Worth it?

I imagine going carbon on seat post and bars is to look a little sexier at 53, right? lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You go ol man! I am 47 and drafting you the whole way.

Are you saying you'd advise I should keep my stock 29 DT Swiss X450SL wheels and use Stan's tubeless kit? Or is the weight reduction worth it?

Why did you change the Avid Elixir R SL brakes to Hope V2? Worth it?

I imagine going carbon on seat post and bars is to look a little sexier at 53, right? lol
    Going tubeless is the first thing I would do - regardless of wheelset. I rode the Carbon Rovals at 30 psi f/b - and I weigh 170lbs. I also went tubeless on the DT set up and lost almost 3/4 lb.

Only changed to the Hope V2 because the shop made me a killer deal and I then sold my brakes on eBay - out of pocket was $100. I do run a carbon bar, yet not seat post - running Thomson seat post and stem for security / safety concerns, though carbon would work - based on weight of the rider < 170lbs (in my opinion).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    running Thomson seat post and stem for security / safety concerns, though carbon would work - based on weight of the rider < 170lbs (in my opinion).
    I weight 230 and on an XL carbon Epic Comp frame.

Tell me more about security/safety concern on seat post and stem.

Why would you go to the Royals over the stock DT Swiss?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I weight 230 and on an XL carbon Epic Comp frame.

Tell me more about security/safety concern on seat post and stem.

Why would you go to the Royals over the stock DT Swiss?
    I am not an engineer, yet stress compounded by impact = flex. Carbon would have more reasons to flex and/or break for a heavier rider, especially on a mtn bike when you are bouncing around on your bike. Metal seat posts in my mind don't sacrifice much weight, yet provide security.

Carbon Rovals weigh 500g less than DT Swiss - yet cost $1,400 - hence my comments that IF you wanted a set of race wheels, go with the Stan's Arch or Flow - especially since you are a slim 230