DTL
    mtbr member

2011 Epic brain/shock problem?

I have a 2011 epic comp 29er that I have been riding pretty steady for the last three years. Last ride I noticed several uncharacteristic pedal strikes and seemed as if brain wasn't opening up on smaller hits. After the ride i noticed i had blown through all the travel (o ring on shock about to fall off). A few days later i decided to reset sag and pumped up the rear shock to my standard 190 (I weigh about 190 without camelback) psi and set sag. Sag was at about 50%. I then pumped up to 220 psi, sag still at 50%. I then pumped up to 250 psi (kinda crazy because i only weigh 190 lbs) and sag was finally set about 25%. Ive never had to put that much psi in the shock to get to correct sag. I had the brain about four to five clicks open from full firm. Was wondering if something doesn't seem right and I was hoping someone could shed some light on what it might be. Thanks!

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Your shock should require the same settings it always has had. Is it leaking pressure? Leaking oil? Anyway, time for a service.

Waiting for peace
    That sounds like an air leak at the main air seal inside the air can to me. There is an easy repair but you would need the main air seal which is a "quad-ring" seal or a fox contact seal. Since the can slides over the hose once the shock is off of the bike it's just a matter of gently pulling the old seal off (so as not to scratch any of the sealing surfaces) and putting the new one on in between the two support rings..... but you need to get the seal from a Fox Authorized Service Center.....

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    There is an easy repair but you would need the main air seal which is a "quad-ring" seal or a fox contact seal. Since the can slides over the hose once the shock is off of the bike it's just a matter of gently pulling the old seal off (so as not to scratch any of the sealing surfaces) and putting the new one on in between the two support rings..... but you need to get the seal from a Fox Authorized Service Center.....
    You need to remove the Brain hose to replace the quad seal.

Waiting for peace
    The seal actually just needs to be walked over the blue knob with a plastic tire lever to prevent any gouging of the rubber sealing surface and then folded to get it into the bottom of the air can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yea mine did the same thing after 2 years. But I just sent it out to fox and they did a complete overhaul. There may be alot more wrong than just a seal too. They replaced pretty much everything that is replaceable(like everything!,seals, screws, bushings, spacers etc..) and gave me a custom tune for the same price. Super impressed with the service. $150 door to door through the bike shop and two weeks down. Pain in the ass but whatever and now it's better than new and has a warranty. Hopefully it happens at the end of the season or beginning. The brain shock is soo good it makes it worth it and I got over it pretty quick.