mtbr member

2011 Epic 29er on a trainer?

How are you putting your 2011 Epic 29er on a trainer? is there an adaptor?

Now broadcasting from CO
    If you have a regular magnetic, fluid, or wind resistance trainer (the kind where the tire spins a drum) I have yet to find one where you don't have to just put a road wheel on. As long as there's a 10 speed cassette it will work. You may have to move the brake caliper so it doesn't hit the spokes.

If you have a rim-drive trainer you don't have to do anything. It should work as is.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    With that 142 ear axle, I think you're S.O.L. I think you'll either have to get some rollers or buy a beater road bike to attach to your trainer. Or better yet, XC skis or snow shoes.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22
    How are you putting your 2011 Epic 29er on a trainer? is there an adaptor?
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    LOL thanks jrob. I figured I was SOL, honestly I wanted to use my trainer to do some bike fitting on my new rig.

\m/ \m/
    Get a set of rollers with a fork mount.

13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Via my LBS Spec. has a dropout adapter in the works that would allow the '11 Epics to mount in a traditional rear wheel trainer, however no set release date & no SKU exists for the part so I wouldn't hold my breath. I think Big S is focused on simply moving some of their SKUs from backorder to available ASAP, so much stuff is unavailable right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I just built one for a customer

I just machined one for a customer who does fitting for a living and have them for sale. www.snydercycles.com

mtbr member
    Very cool!

The one time I tried to get my 29er on a trainer I couldn't get the roller drum far enough away from the axle! A large road tire would work but the huge 29er tire was too big.

Cheers!

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by slowseth
    I just machined one for a customer who does fitting for a living and have them for sale. www.snydercycles.com
    Out of curiosity, how does that work? Does the thru axle just screw into it?
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This design allows the use of the original axle within the frame, and the Magic Trainer Adapter just slips into the drive side opening. The pin inserts into the hollow 12mm axle, and the hex fits into the hex bolt in the frame and provides the majority of the support. The pin keeps everything lined up so the hex doesn't rotate and slip out. The cone on the end simulates a standard quick release nut which the trainer will clamp onto. A clearance is machined on the inside of the hex to allow for any excess axle stickout to prevent damage, and is also machined to the exact outer diameter of the axle to provide more support without damaging any components of the hub, frame, or axle.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Gotcha... good deal... I may have to buy one, although I don't know it its worth it to just get my bike fitted...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Perhaps your bike shop would be interested in buying it so neither you nor their other customers have to ask if it's worth it.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Good idea... I'll ask.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    will it work for a 2011 Stumpy FSR Expert 29er?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guillo2
    will it work for a 2011 Stumpy FSR Expert 29er?
    Why would you need one? The Stumpy FSR 29er uses a standard quick release on the rear.