mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2011 Epic 29er S-Works Handlebars

Has most everyone found the handlebars to be too wide? If so, how much did you cut them back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes. Too wide. I cut 1" per side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scuuder3
    Has most everyone found the handlebars to be too wide? If so, how much did you cut them back?
    The trend lately is towards wider bars, but that is mostly from all mountain and downhill riders. It comes down to the width of your shoulders, terrain you ride, and personal preference. Wider bars will give you better control, but narrower bars will give you a little more power. Most riders feel best with the ac joint of the shoulder lined up with the thumb. Another way to look at it is do a push up and that is roughly a good width.
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    May 2008
    what do you mean by "a little more power"?

Rider
    Nov 2010
    Cut mine a bit over 1" per side as well. Works better on the tight single tracks around here...

mtbr member
    I'm liking the wide bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

to cut or not...

At first they felt way too wide, just like when I got my 2006 stumpy. I was on a 1995 Zaskar before that, real narrow bars. I ended up staying with the wider bars on the stumpy and even though the new Epic 29er bars felt crazy wide I left them alone for the first few rides. On the first ride at a new area I rode a ton of single track switch backs. The wide bars worked far better then I thought, a couple rides later I was hooked. I don't plan to cut them. Though I do wonder what will happen in a race with the bunched up group sprinting out to be first on the climb. We'll see but for now, I like them.

I did replace the grips (ESI Chunky) and like the setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What did you use to cut the carbon bars?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I left them alone and raced the bike today. I really liked the way the wide bars allowed the bike to handle. I am going to leave them for a bit and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I have an Expert Carbon. Moved my grips in to simulate a 600mm wide bar. I noticed more effort to steer in certain situations but I felt better with a narrower stance.

Geoff Kabush runs a pretty wide bar too. Looks kinda funny compared to everyone else when they are at a start, but it works for him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ackey
    Though I do wonder what will happen in a race with the bunched up group sprinting out to be first on the climb.
    Just stick those elbows out a little further to make some room!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    you have to figure out what percentage of your ride consists of narrow trees and elbows. For me, that's well below 1%, so for over 99% of my ride/route, I personally like the advantages of wider bars. I went from 600 to 700mm and won't go back

Now broadcasting from CO
    I'll split the difference. Going to cut down to 650 or 660 once I get a set of carbon bars I can cut. I run 700 mm bars on my SS for the leverage, but don't see them necessary on my Epic.
    Brought to you by rocks.

The Other Dude
    I am digging the wide bars, and we do have some tight stuff here in PA, and i like how they feel enough that i will not be cutting them down.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been riding the 660mm flat bar since the fall and love it. Just ordered the 680mm carbon flat bar last week for the new rig.