mtbr member
    Nov 2004

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty

I ordered the Epic 29er frameset back at the end of October, and it finally came in last week. I had a chance to build it up over the weekend, and the only unexpected surprise was that the rear brake hose was too short to run up the down tube so it is temporarily taped to the top tube. The Lefty fork is an experiment for me, so I can't comment yet on how well it performs, but I certainly have high expectations.

I wanted to give a quick thanks to Jake at Project 321 for his help. This is the first 142mm rear hub that Project 321 has sold, and Jake went to extra lengths to get the axle in stock and test to make sure that everything would work.

The overall bike weighed 26 pounds 12 ounces on my (non-calibrated) scale. Here's a quick listing of the build for reference:

Frame: Specialized Epic 29er (M5)
    Fork: Cannondale Lefty Max PBR (reduced to 110mm travel for 29er) w/ Project 321 tapered adapter kit
    F/R Hubs: Project 321
    Rims: NoTubes ZTR Crest
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor EXO front, Maxxis IKON EXO rear
    Brakes: Formula Oro Biancos (180mm front /160mm rear)
    Stem: Specialized Pro-Set 2 MTB stem
    Handlebar: Specialized XC Flat 2 Alloy Bar
    Crank: Shimano XT FC-M770
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M770
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-9 (mid cage)
    Cassette: SRAM X0 12-34 (9 speed)
    Shifters: SRAM X-9 grip shift
    Chain: SRAM PC-991 Cross step chain
    Grips: ODI clamp-on
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
    Pedals: PD-M770
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-specialized-epic-full-bike.jpg  

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-epic-front-left-view.jpg  

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-specialized-epic-front-view.jpg  

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-epic-cockpit.jpg  

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-lefty-lower-front-hub.jpg  

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-front-hub-closeup.jpg  

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-rear-hub-closeup.jpg  

2011 Epic 29er with Lefty-rear-hub.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Dude u are a pimp ur bike is off the chain i was thinking about doing the same thing that u did. Please as soon as u can review with the fork on the front.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice build. What's up with the rear brake hose routing?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    weight of bike in grams ?

mtbr member
    Have you ridden it yet?

From your pictures the gear cables running underneath the bottom bracket are cut too short. They need to have enough of a loop so that the cables don't touch the bottom bracket shell when the suspension is fully compressed.

If the gear cables are pulled too tight then you'll have shifting problems whilst riding and wear deep grooves into the bottom bracket shell also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    Have you ridden it yet?

From your pictures the gear cables running underneath the bottom bracket are cut too short. They need to have enough of a loop so that the cables don't touch the bottom bracket shell when the suspension is fully compressed.

If the gear cables are pulled too tight then you'll have shifting problems whilst riding and wear deep grooves into the bottom bracket shell also.
    Thanks for pointing this out. You're right - I got it backwards. I'm used to the cable routing over the top tube so that the fully extended shock position represents the longest length of cable that is needed. Guess it's time for another run to the bike shop

The only riding I've done is some bouncing around in the cul-de-sac in front if our house. No shifting problems there, but it obviously isn't a very rigorous test.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    weight of bike in grams ?
    12133 grams. Definitely not the lightest build in the world. I tried to go reasonably light on the fork and the wheels (as far as my budget/senses would allow), but I went for durability/practicality on the rest of the bike. Definitely lots of places to shave weight if you wanted to, but the $$ go up quickly. BTW, the frame alone was 6 pounds 1 oz (2750 grams) on my scale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    Nice build. What's up with the rear brake hose routing?
    I'm re-using the brakes from a previous build and the rear brake hose isn't long enough for the routing up under the down tube. I have a new hose coming, but it isn't here yet. The hose is taped to the frame so that I could do a little test ride on pavement in the meantime...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice build. That lefty looks right at home on your bike!

Now broadcasting from CO
    Sweet... that's like mixing spiced rum with vodka... two different types of awesome. How does the Lefty match with the brain in the back?
    Brought to you by rocks.

FKA Malibu412
    Looks like you have enough cable slack up at the bars/headtube/crown area to pull a little down toward the bb and still have enough at the bars for turning. Check that before you install a new cable and housing.

Very nice looking build, btw. You should be hearing from Specialized attorneys quite soon.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    I ordered the Epic 29er frameset back at the end of October, and it finally came in last week. I had a chance to build it up over the weekend, and the only unexpected surprise was that the rear brake hose was too short to run up the down tube so it is temporarily taped to the top tube. The Lefty fork is an experiment for me, so I can't comment yet on how well it performs, but I certainly have high expectations.

I wanted to give a quick thanks to Jake at Project 321 for his help. This is the first 142mm rear hub that Project 321 has sold, and Jake went to extra lengths to get the axle in stock and test to make sure that everything would work.

The overall bike weighed 26 pounds 12 ounces on my (non-calibrated) scale. Here's a quick listing of the build for reference:

Frame: Specialized Epic 29er (M5)
    Fork: Cannondale Lefty Max PBR (reduced to 110mm travel for 29er) w/ Project 321 tapered adapter kit
    F/R Hubs: Project 321
    Rims: NoTubes ZTR Crest
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor EXO front, Maxxis IKON EXO rear
    Brakes: Formula Oro Biancos (180mm front /160mm rear)
    Stem: Specialized Pro-Set 2 MTB stem
    Handlebar: Specialized XC Flat 2 Alloy Bar
    Crank: Shimano XT FC-M770
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M770
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-9 (mid cage)
    Cassette: SRAM X0 12-34 (9 speed)
    Shifters: SRAM X-9 grip shift
    Chain: SRAM PC-991 Cross step chain
    Grips: ODI clamp-on
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
    Pedals: PD-M770

Nice looking bike, how does it ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for pointing this out. You're right - I got it backwards. I'm used to the cable routing over the top tube so that the fully extended shock position represents the longest length of cable that is needed. Guess it's time for another run to the bike shop

The only riding I've done is some bouncing around in the cul-de-sac in front if our house. No shifting problems there, but it obviously isn't a very rigorous test.
    By having the cables long enough you avoid problems like this with the cables wearing away the frame:

SWorks Epic cable wear at bottom bracket

When you get the new rear brake hose the bike needs some clear protective plastic on the inside of the chain stay too. The chain stay and seat stay move independently because of the horst link pivots. This causes the brake hose to rub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Looks like you have enough cable slack up at the bars/headtube/crown area to pull a little down toward the bb and still have enough at the bars for turning. Check that before you install a new cable and housing.

Very nice looking build, btw. You should be hearing from Specialized attorneys quite soon.
    Man - that's two jokes (hopefully) about legal issues with Specialized. Is there a history I don't know about??

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyNY
    Nice looking bike, how does it ride.
    Good question - it was very nice on pavement, but I'm still waiting to get it out on the trails. We just got 2 inches of snow and another quarter inch of freezing rain on top of it so things are a mess around here right now. I'll certainly post up a review once I've got some miles on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    When you get the new rear brake hose the bike needs some clear protective plastic on the inside of the chain stay too. The chain stay and seat stay move independently because of the horst link pivots. This causes the brake hose to rub.
    More good advice - thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get that thing dirty and post some more pics! Interested to hear about the 321 rear hub.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Ha! That Lefty looks familiar? Looks good man...
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Man - that's two jokes (hopefully) about legal issues with Specialized. Is there a history I don't know about??

Yes, generally the two companies can't stand each other. I mean, REALLY can't stand each other...
    I like bikes.

Sup
    I thought it was Specialized and Scott
    oh well
    can't we all just get along

SJ
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm
    Ha! That Lefty looks familiar? Looks good man...
    I was going to send some pictures to you to let you see how it all turned out. It's taken a long time to get the frame in, but I'm definitely happy with how it all turned out. Now, if I could just get a ride in to see how it works.....

I hope things are going well down in Georgia - I know you had a lot going on. Did you get your other Lefty up and running again?

Waiting for peace
    DUUUUUuuuuude!!!!!!

That is off the hook! That is a sweet bike!!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I was going to send some pictures to you to let you see how it all turned out. It's taken a long time to get the frame in, but I'm definitely happy with how it all turned out. Now, if I could just get a ride in to see how it works.....

I hope things are going well down in Georgia - I know you had a lot going on. Did you get your other Lefty up and running again?

Yeah, did get my current Lefty running but might sell that one as well. Anyways, looks great man!
    I like bikes.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    I thought it was Specialized and Scott
    oh well
    can't we all just get along

SJ
    Good read:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-founder-15266

I used to live and work in Park City, Utah and a few years ago Cannondale had their big Sales meeting there. Well, Specialized has an office in Salt Lake and decided to drive one of their huge demo trailers up to Park City and park it right in front of where Cannondale had their demo trailer set up. Since I worked at the Cannondale dealer in town some dude from Cannondale came into to the store and asked me if I knew what was going on ( we were also a Specialized dealer ). He was beyond pissed...I mean, vein bursting out of his forehead pissed. Nobody knows why Specialized had their trailer there...their Sales event was two weeks later in another part of Utah.

Anyways....
    I like bikes.

EOB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    just wondering how this lefty road compared to the stk fork