mtbr member

2011 Epic 29er - Going Tubeless

I want to convert my Epic Comp Carbon 29er to Tubeless. I noticed the bike came with the valve stems, do the rims have the strips already installed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just picked mine up, and was told the rims are already taped, and ready to go tubeles.

We'll see for sure tomorrow!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think the blue tape is supposed to be a equivalent to stans yellow tape. I believe some have had good success just using the blue tape and the supplied valve stem with sealant. I have the same wheels you have (if you are running the stock wheels) and have installed the +4 rim strip from stans. The tires air up great but I have not added sealant yet or been able to ride because of our cold winter. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes, they are ready to go tubeless.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    ok great, I'm buying a bottle of stans and calling it a day.

mtbr member
    Post up how it went. I just picked up my 29er Comp and have been going back and forth with myself on going tubeless. Still trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages and if it's worth the hassle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeytrails
    Post up how it went. I just picked up my 29er Comp and have been going back and forth with myself on going tubeless. Still trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages and if it's worth the hassle!
    Absolutely worth it. I haven't had a flat in 4 years on tubeless and it is not a hassle at all. Bike handles better too.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeytrails
    Yeah definitely worth it. I can't imagine riding without it. Even when riding my SS with big heavy tires and tubes at similar pressures that I run when I'm on tubeless wheels (25-26 psi front, 27-28 psi rear... I'm light and I ride smoothly) I can tell the difference. Do it.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    I think part of my aprehension is due to a few incidents involving some riding buddies tires exploding and the clean-up job involved in order for us to keep going....Like I said, maybe I should just give it a shot and see for myself. I`m just an old-school spare-tube-carrying kind of guy. Old habits are hard to break!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There is no doubt tubeless is the way to go. The "hassle" is way over stated. A hassle is having a flat on the side of the trail. Give it a shot for yourself. I have never come across anyone who went tubeless and decided to go back to flats, oops I mean tubes.

\m/ \m/
    I didn't like the looks of the blue tape job on my bike, which was a single layer of tape. So I removed it and went with a double layer of Stans tape, which is what No Tubes recommends.

Also I replaced the Spec valve stems with the non-removable cores with Stans removable valve core stems.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem