mtbr member

2011 Epic 29er - Going Tubeless

I want to convert my Epic Comp Carbon 29er to Tubeless. I noticed the bike came with the valve stems, do the rims have the strips already installed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just picked mine up, and was told the rims are already taped, and ready to go tubeles.

We'll see for sure tomorrow!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think the blue tape is supposed to be a equivalent to stans yellow tape. I believe some have had good success just using the blue tape and the supplied valve stem with sealant. I have the same wheels you have (if you are running the stock wheels) and have installed the +4 rim strip from stans. The tires air up great but I have not added sealant yet or been able to ride because of our cold winter. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes, they are ready to go tubeless.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    ok great, I'm buying a bottle of stans and calling it a day.

mtbr member
    Post up how it went. I just picked up my 29er Comp and have been going back and forth with myself on going tubeless. Still trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages and if it's worth the hassle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeytrails
    Post up how it went. I just picked up my 29er Comp and have been going back and forth with myself on going tubeless. Still trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages and if it's worth the hassle!
    Absolutely worth it. I haven't had a flat in 4 years on tubeless and it is not a hassle at all. Bike handles better too.
    My Team: Myself
    My Blog: thebrassnipple.wordpress.com

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeytrails
    Yeah definitely worth it. I can't imagine riding without it. Even when riding my SS with big heavy tires and tubes at similar pressures that I run when I'm on tubeless wheels (25-26 psi front, 27-28 psi rear... I'm light and I ride smoothly) I can tell the difference. Do it.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    I think part of my aprehension is due to a few incidents involving some riding buddies tires exploding and the clean-up job involved in order for us to keep going....Like I said, maybe I should just give it a shot and see for myself. I`m just an old-school spare-tube-carrying kind of guy. Old habits are hard to break!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There is no doubt tubeless is the way to go. The "hassle" is way over stated. A hassle is having a flat on the side of the trail. Give it a shot for yourself. I have never come across anyone who went tubeless and decided to go back to flats, oops I mean tubes.

\m/ \m/
    I didn't like the looks of the blue tape job on my bike, which was a single layer of tape. So I removed it and went with a double layer of Stans tape, which is what No Tubes recommends.

Also I replaced the Spec valve stems with the non-removable cores with Stans removable valve core stems.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem