mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2011 Enduro Comp Bogus Chain Guide

2011 Enduro Comp stock chain guide is perfect, if you like your chain to rub on the roller guide aluminum bracket. When shifting into the front granny gear chain rubs on the bracket. I don't think Specialized did enough R & R on their version of a roller guide. Luckily my LBS hooked me up and upgraded to a Gamut roller guide, a $150.00 part at no cost. A way better design and works great. Anybody else having a problem with their stock roller guide?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The nail hath been hit on the head. 2011 Enduro Comp. Chain not only doesn't fit well on the roller ledge close to the aluminum, but it wears into it pretty quickly. I doubt my LBS would hook me up with that

Enduro Chain guide issues

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had the same thing happen with mine. My LBS replaced it with the Gamut Dual chain guide at no cost. I assumed it was a mistake at Specialized.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Did the cost come from Specialized or the LBS? Any suggestions on how to convince my LBS that this is ACTUALLY a problem and need to be rectified?

mtbr member
    I swapped my chain roller to an MSR motorcycle roller which is all flat, doesn't have a groove that the chain sits in. No problems now.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    My 2010 chainguide has been perfect. A little noisy when I crank it down (to hold the chain tighter).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    Did the cost come from Specialized or the LBS? Any suggestions on how to convince my LBS that this is ACTUALLY a problem and need to be rectified?
    My LBS, Mike's Bikes is huge, I'm sure they have a lot of pull when it comes to getting what they want from Specialized. Anybody halfway mechanically inclined could see the potential for a rubbing problem when the Gamut and Specialized unit are compared. Good luck convincing them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    I don't know for sure.

As for suggestions, tell them the design is screwed up and show them what's happening. It's got a 1yr warranty on all components so give it a whirl.

Colorado
    This is a problem....

I just bought a 2011 Enduro Comp. I can't believe the shop guy didn't do anything about this. He had to have noticed?

Issue: When in the small front chain ring, the chain rests on top of the grooved part of the chain guide, and rubs slightly on the red metal part of the chain guide.

I'll be taking my brand new bike back to the shop to point this out and ask for a new guide.

I wish I would have read this thread before purchase.

mtbr member
    Don't let a small problem bum you out on the overall purchase of such a great bike.

I removed the rear wheel and roller, bent a very small offset in the guide, and problem solved.
    Four wheels move the body.
    Two wheels move the soul.

Mk3
    mtbr member
    What changed from 2010?

Bull Rider
    Oct 2009
    Specialized has stood behind the fault in the chainguides on the 2011 Enduro comps at our shop, just ask your LBS to call their warranty contact at Spz. We were given a credit and replaced our customers stock guides with the same Gamut that comes on the expert.

Mk3: I believe that the 2010 came with a Gamut guide, not the same as the un-branded guide that comes on the 2011 comp

Mk3
    mtbr member
    Doesn't make sense why they'd change to a cheaper one, well except cutting costs I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just got my 2010 Enduro Comp and I have the Gamut guide on there. I will be keeping an eye on this to make sure I am all set though...