Big Hittin'

2011 Big Hit III. Good for DH?

havnt seen any reviews online or here. i know its more of a free ride bike, but how does the bighit III handle the dh stuff. looks pretty burly wit that fork on it. is it a cheaper alternative to the demo?
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    ???
    29er's are Goofy

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I would like to know also. On paper it is close but not quite a DH sled. I think the key is the shock ratio curve or if it ramps up. I think a degree slacker with an angle set will do this bike justice.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

Big Hittin'
    right? i never really looked at it until recently, the specs show it could be a good bike for the resorts, ov not a pro world cup dh bike, but prob a good overrall dh bike that can hit some jumps
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Long enough travel, my biggest concern would be how progressive the link on the rear end is....................

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Long enough travel, my biggest concern would be how progressive the link on the rear end is....................
    explain?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    The big hit is not a freeride bike, It is an entry level downhill bike. It has good geos, but not as slacked out and low as the Demo. Somebody who is a beginner to intermediate downhiller will find this kind of bike ideal as they really won't know how to handle a Demo properly yet as it is designed to work better at higher speeds and takes a bit more muscling around. I had an '09 Big Hit and rode it for around a year with a boxxer on the front and it worked out pretty well and I won a couple expert races on it, but when i moved to a demo I was blown away with how much better it was for me. So basically the big hit is perfectly capable to handle anything you encounter and will work for you and you can go decently fast on it, but it's not going to blow you away if you are looking for world cup level performance out of a bike. If price is a big factor for you and you can't afford the extra $1000 for a demo, the big hit is a great value and you won't find a better bike for the price. Ride on.

The Other Dude
    The east coast GROM team tore it up this season on the big hits, one of them even raced world cup with it. Its way more capable than people give it credit for, plus you can build them stupid light, I want to say the GROM team captain bikes weighed in at 36lbs.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    The east coast GROM team tore it up this season on the big hits, one of them even raced world cup with it. Its way more capable than people give it credit for, plus you can build them stupid light, I want to say the GROM team captain bikes weighed in at 36lbs.
    I heard the same thing, and im positive those kids are faster than me. I will say Im pretty sure I would be faster on a demo but after bad injury I swore off racing. So who cares. It is a mutte point as specialized is out of demos and big$hits. I think th big hits are landing late january.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    65.5 hta, 7"s of travel with a 2.5" stroke shock. Very similar to an sx trail geo wise with like the same leverage ratio. I would say its just the components, I'm pretty sure both the sx trail and the big hit will be capable enough.

Frame strength might be where they differ.

2011 is the year to buy a dh bike, m9, wilson, demo, jedi. Plenty of bikes to choose from. So if your interested wait till the end of the year when they mark them down, thats what I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    plus you can build them stupid light, I want to say the GROM team captain bikes weighed in at 36lbs.

HOW?

I have a 2010 Big Hit 2...which is 44 lbs. Trying to get that weight down a bit for park stuff. Would really like to make this a do all bike but I know its built more for DH. If its possible to purchase parts to achieve that versus buying a full on freeride specific FS rig (Voltage ETC).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Custom Build. I been riding it for a year. My large weights under 38lbs. I came off an 04 Demo9 and just wanted some thing lighter. The lateral stiffness is not the same as the Demo but I dropped 10-11lbs. The BH really is more of a DH bike than a FR bike. The long wheelbase causes it to hug the ground and the low bottom bracket give it a great feel.

I will probably go back to a 2010 Demo or 2011 SX Trail in a year or so when I can get one cheaper but for now this does all I ask. Windrock, Snowshoe, and lots of other DH trails throughout the SE.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Where else are you saving weight except the fork over stock?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm really not sure. The fork only weighs about 5lbs. and I run the SX tires. I did weigh it again and it came out to 39lbs 1 oz. Sorry, I had a Float 160mm on it and a set of Hope rims when I weighed before. And I could have been wrong.

I'm with stupid
    So what are the big differences from the SXtrail and the big hit?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The SX has slightly lower bottom bracket and standover height, shorter chainstays, and could be built lighter. But $$$ is the big one. The best part about the 2011 SX is that they went to 180mm front and rear, balancing the bike. And if you wanted you could run a double crown up front for DH.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    So what are the big differences from the SXtrail and the big hit?
    What Offcamber said.

Also keep in mind that the sxtrail can take a dual chainring up front if your looking at a more versatile bike. And you can buy the sxtrail in just the frame if you want to build it yourself.

Just remember you can use an AM bike for dh trails as well, you just wont be able to go as fast. Just 10 years ago guys racing dh were riding like 6" travel bikes. So if I had to choose I would go with the sxtrail frame for $1500 and build it myself and use it as a "do it all bike".

The Other Dude
    sorry, he said it was sub 35lbs, thats insane!

Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    If you buy bighit.

I suggest the following modification :

(1). Buy DMD type front derailleur, shimano XTR or XT, my tips : 1. Drill the elongated locknut included in FD package. Drill to remove the threads inside the elongated locknut, so later when you mount the FD to bike frame, you dont have problems of having two components with two threads. 2. Use 1mm thick shim to correct the alignment of FD to chainring. I forget which hole to put the shim. The FD has only two mounting screw holes, and you put only 1 shim. Put the shim between FD and bike frame. 3. Make sure you dont use too long screws, they are going over the thread's hole and scracth the frame tube. You can use shim to artificially shorten the screws' length. edit : I can give you photo close up if need it.

(2) Remove the chain guide, really, you dont need it.

(3) I cut the handlebar to 680mm wide.... to make it more freeride bike.

(4) Buy lightweight cranks, raceface xc ? Use 22-32-Bash, My tips : (1) adjust the angle position of rear deraileur at the highest chainring position : 34 and 32, and compare it with the lowest chainring position : 22 and 11. Basically you are retracting the RD all the way up at 22 and 11 position. (2) You need to shorten the chains, maybe you will remove 3 or 4 of chains. (3) with X9 short cage RD, at chainring position 22 and 11, the chains are little bit too long. But dont worry, it doesnt skip. Please see the chain slack and RD postion in this picture : ( you should get similar like that after modification).

Last edited by asw7576; 03-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    can it be used for freeride?