Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2011 or 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29?

I can get a 2011 for $2,040 and then pick up a set of nice wheels later or drop $2,700 on a new one with no upgrades.

What to do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    2012! Since it's a new frame design and auto-sag feature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is the 142 rear end that big a deal? I've never had that or a thru axle, so things will be different from my NRS C1.

That, and going from 26 to 29 and 80mm to 130mm travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im happy with my 11' i got my rear shock dialed in super nice and have no complaints

mtbr member
    On a 29er your should be able to tell that the rear end is stiffer with the 142 rear end, plus the rear shock is going to be a bit better too. If the money is not a big issure I would go with the 2012
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I understand that the 2012 is better, but is it $660 better? In chicago, that means another64 in tax!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The difference in MSRP is only $200. If you're getting an end of season deal on the 2011 and money is the limiting factor, go for it. The 2012 will be an all around better bike (other than the fork I think), but it will cost more as well!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If the rims are different on the 2012 and you can afford it get it. I bought a 2011 model a month ago and have had issues withe the hubs. Finally got specialized to issue a credit and my LBS is ordering a set of Stans Flow rims. The Formula hubs they chose to use are crap. Only the rims are DT Swiss so don't be fooled as I was. Overall though 2011 is a awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was thinking of going the stock 2011 and then getting a set of stans wheels with the extra cheese I wull have left over. My absolute question is if the 2012 is that much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would say .. ride and see. The wheel base between the two are 20mm difference so they may feel different.

The new bikes are coming out with a 142 (or 142+), so everything is shifting.

I would pay extra for auto-sag and chain dangler. Setting sag (by yourself) with the sticker or guessing with the rubber band sucks, and my chain makes lots of noise over rough terrain so I would pay more for a dangler. how much for those two ... $300 more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    $2040 is a great price for a 2011, wish I could have found that deal!

In my area I was able to find the 2011 for $2200. The 2012s were going to be $2700. I decided to get a 2011 in part due to the savings, and in part due to the Rock Shox fork.

Good luck either way!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would get the 11 and save the cash. Autosag is a dealer set-up feature mostly, you will probably only use this feature once. You should be able to order the dangler through your shop, through Specialized warranty, at least that's what our rep told us.

With the money you save, buy a Command post and some new wheels..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Go for the 2012, it should have a better resale value when you want to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    its a toss up man. $600 buys a nice set of wheels, converts to 2x10, maybe a drop post. See if they have a stumpy elite or expert for 2700 or so as well.

Stock, the 2012 will be all around better.. shock, wheels, 2x10, frame design, and I think the fork is going to be better than the revelation (but we'll see.. at least comparable).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the 2011 is already a 2x10 set up. if you do end up with wheel or hub issues either buy better wheels or play it out with specialized warranty. i dont think auto sag is really that big of a deal. take the time to set up your shock, get to know it, and get dialed in and autosag will not be missed. you should know your air pressure anyways.

the biggest upgrade really is the 142 rear end. i do like the through axle, but i dont notice anything different on my enduro. may be different on the 29er though.

with the savings pick up a command post, upgrade wheels if you want. and down the road if you really dont like the triad you can always upgrade to the rp2 or rp23 from one of the evo's

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm I'm so confused

I to am faced with a decision.
    I'm looking at a 2011 Stumpy Expert 29er for 2999 or 2012 Comp. 29er for 2699.
    I've tested the following 29ers; Camber Carbon, Tallboy Carbon, GT Sensor and the Epic Comp.
    I've decided to go with the Stumpy. Now I just need to get some advise on which one.
    Any help would be great.
    Last edited by not2bnaughty; 10-05-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by not2bnaughty View Post
    I to am faced with a decision.
    I'm looking at a 2011 Stumpy Expert 29er for 2999 or 2012 Comp. 29er for 2699.
    I've tested the following 29ers; Camber Carbon, Tallboy Carbon, GT Sensor and the Epic Comp.
    I've decided to go with the Stumpy. Now I just need to get some advise on which one.
    Any help would be great.
    The expert is going to have a better component package, dropper post and the brain in it, where as the 2011 comp will have auto sag and rear TA. Take your pick!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by moosington View Post
    The expert is going to have a better component package, dropper post and the brain in it, where as the 2011 comp will have auto sag and rear TA. Take your pick!
    Thanks for your input.

The auto sag is a cool feature for the LBS to get the rider set up. I'm just not sure it has any benifit from that point on.
    Wider rear TA..... Possibly a stiffer ride?

THE BRAIN.... I like the concept of this. Not having to flip a lever to get the suspension I need when I need it. The 2012 Comp does not have the mounting location to add the brain after purchase.
    Seems like Specialized has narrowed the offering a bit.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 Stumpy Comp 29, $2699 at my LBS. They ordered an XL in the Red/Black/Silver for me to check out, and it should be here by Friday. I am going to a different shop tomorrow with some 2011s for grins, but would want a discount to go 2011. They have a 2011 Expert and Comp in my size. I'm not very interested in the brain, I think I would rather just reach down and flip the switch on the Triad. Maybe they will let me ride it and I'll see if it impresses me.

LBS 1 let me ride the 2012 in the parking lot and a nearby field. He first set it up with the Autosag feature. The salesguy said it had to be pumped up to 300 lbs (!) first, and it took him forever. I've had no problem setting my current shock by feel and by watching the o-ring, so I don't see much value there. The Stumpjumper rode like a Caddy compared to my 26er 90/100mm travel bike (as expected). With the long wheelbase and 69 HTA, I thought it might not turn very well as my current bike, I tried a few sharp corners during my short ride, and it seemed fine.

I am also going to try to find a Pivot Mach429 to check out, but they seem to be made of unobtainium here in the North Dallas area. The LBS is a dealer and has been waiting on a shipment of 2012s to arrive since like 2 months ago when they sold their last 2011. They acted like they really had no clue when they would arrive.

Regardless the Stumpy is a great value at $2700, and I can't touch the Mach429 for that. The used stumpys on craigslist and ebay seem too high compared to the cost of a brand new one with a warrantee.

The one thing I really don't like about it is the SRAM shifters, only because I've only ridden Shimano, and my brain is programmed to push / pull. I suppose I'll get over that after the first few rides.

I can't wait to try this bike on the trail. 130mm travel and 29" wheels ought to let me just kill it out there in the rough stuff!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was in the same boat, order a new 2012, or see if I could still find a 2011 in the shops. I already had a nice wheelset from my other bike, so I would be selling the stock one, and the new 142+ that Specialized uses might have limited the stock of potential buyers. Also, my existing wheelset is already set up for 20mm thru-axle, so the Fox 15mm just meant more hassles.

If I could find a 2011 with the Reba 20mm thru axle fork and regular 9mm quick release rear, both problems would be moot. I wasn't that confident that any dealers would still have any left in stock in my size, but I took a day last week to go roadtripping and see. Was prepared to go as far as Boston, three hours away, if I needed to.

Luckily, the first shop I stopped at had both the Comp and Expert in my size, at pretty good closeout pricing, so the only thing to decide was whether the Brain was worth the extra $900 for me. In the end, I decided it wasn't, and bought the Comp. It was nice too, as I'd done a bit of test riding and stuff at this shop before in the past, but never bought anything, so now I could give them some of my money for the time they had spent with me in the past. Swapped over the good stuff from my existing biike, already got the stock wheelset sold.

Still have that small pang of buyer's remorse though that I should have gotten a 2012 from my local shop. But that's just the way I am, and I'm sure I'll be happy as hell with the new bike.

mtbr member
    No questions, unless you already have a nice wheelset, go with the PY new bike, and use the cash saved along with selling the OEM wheelset, and purchase some really light awesome wheelset.

I feel like it falls on deaf ears when folks say how important wheels are! Forget changing out stems, handlebars, get a wicked wheelset above all else. It improves your ride dynamics much more than going from 135 to 142 rear end will.

Better yet, buy the new bike, ride and save for a while, then upgrade wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I purchased the 2011 Expert 29er and have been very happy with it.

The Reba Rock Shox with 20mm thru axel has had some issues. LBS I purchased from ordered new set of lowers. Rock Shox/Specialized is aware of the problem. (problem= side to side play of about .010-.015.)
    The new lowers have solved the problem.

Another issue was the small chain ring bolts fell out on a ride. LBS put on new ring and replaced bolts with some loctite.

My advise is to keep a close eye on all spokes, nuts and bolts for tightness.
    My LBS has been taking care of all the issues, but I feel if the tech that set the bike up in the first place would have taken the time to go over everything, I wouldn't have had some of the issues I've had. (shame on me though for not checking myself.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2011 Great, but LOVE the 2012

There are so many improvements in the 2012, that for me it is the far better choice. From the riders that have ridden both, they perfer the 2012 - better stiffness, better ride, very quiet, better drive train. Goes where you point it.

The 2012 is much improved over 2011 (here is what I think has changed, I could be wrong on a few items):
    -2x10 shifting (I thought this was a gimic at first, but I am a total convert - always seem to be in the right gear...able to shift under a solid load, big ring is fast enough)
    -Chain guide - nice a quiet
    -Auto sag shock feature
    -New much better dust seals on front and rear shocks - seems like a small change, but this is a very big difference.
    -142+x12 rear axle - stiff
    -15QR front axle - stiff
    -PF30 BB - stiff
    -Tapered head tube - stiff
    -New good grip-low rolling resistance ground control rear tire - THIS IS A GREAT TIRE
    - Sealed suspension bearings (not sure if sealed on 2011)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm riding a 2011 XL Stumpjumper Comp 29'er. I am a big guy at 6'4" and 240 lbs. So far I have put 650 miles on this bike(bought on July 1) with zero complaints. Got my suspension dialed in pretty sweet and have started with a few upgrades.
    Thomson seat post
    Crank brothers 90mm stem and carbon bars
    Currently waiting on a set of Stan's Arch wheels with Chris King hubs to deliver.

My only real complaint is the brakes. They seem to be noisy and my rear needs adjustment every couple rides to keep from dragging.

Anyone know if the new fox shock with auto sag will fit a 2011? If so is it worth the cost to swap over? What about the dangler chain management? Will it work on a 11?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank TJ View Post
    I'm riding a 2011 XL Stumpjumper Comp 29'er. I am a big guy at 6'4" and 240 lbs. So far I have put 650 miles on this bike(bought on July 1) with zero complaints. Got my suspension dialed in pretty sweet and have started with a few upgrades.
    Thomson seat post
    Crank brothers 90mm stem and carbon bars
    Currently waiting on a set of Stan's Arch wheels with Chris King hubs to deliver.

My only real complaint is the brakes. They seem to be noisy and my rear needs adjustment every couple rides to keep from dragging.

Anyone know if the new fox shock with auto sag will fit a 2011? If so is it worth the cost to swap over? What about the dangler chain management? Will it work on a 11?
    I have the 12. I do not think it would be worth it to get the auto-sag shock. You have yours dialed in and the autosag is only useful/beneficial when setting the shock.

I love the chain dangler, really quiets the bike down. Not sure if it would work on the 11. Is the 11 a 2x10 or 3x9 configuration? Not sure if the dangler would work on a 3x9 configuration, but it might. The dangler appears to be connected to the chain stay via a plastic wrap-around stay protector. It would fit if the stays are the same design. This is probably a comparison you could make by bringing yours to the shop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast