mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2010 vs 2011 Enduro Expert: Need advice...kinda got screwed on ebay

Alright, so I posted in the all-mountain section but realized this section is probably better for my question. I'm a first (now second) time poster but have been reading the forums for a while. The info here is great and has helped me a lot with picking out gear. I rode DH about a decade ago and am just now getting back into riding, so I might as well be a newbie when it comes to gear.

I bought a Specialized Enduro Expert on ebay for $1450. The listing said it was a 2011, but when I opened the box and started putting it together I realized the components were wrong. I had to call Specialized to order a new hub cover/spacer/adjuster thing for the front (it was missing, Specialized is mailing me one for free, so no worries there), and they were able to confirm that I do in fact have a 2010 model.

What I'm most concerned about is the difference in components. The 2011 came with a Fox Float 36 R fork and RP23 shock. The 2010 that the guy mailed me has a Rock Shox Lyrik and Fox RP2. It's my understanding, from what people have told me, that the 2011 is a much better setup (which is why I was stoked to get a 2011 expert for $1450).

Is the difference really that noticeable between the two years? Did I get screwed? Any advice would be appreciated.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    Easy for seller to mis-state model year....but auction pictures are very clear the bike is 2010. In addition to the suspension differences you mention, 2010 is 9 speed and 2011 is 10 speed. Many component differences between 2010 and 2011. Expect to pay $500 – 800 more for a 2011 bike in same condition. Ride…and smile…pretty much any year Enduro is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    Easy for seller to mis-state model year....but auction pictures are very clear the bike is 2010.
    I didn't include a link to the auction...and it's not the buyer's responsibility to be familiar enough with the different model years to tell them apart by pictures alone. If the model year is a $500-800 difference, then it's a pretty big deal to get that part of the listing wrong. The fact that the bike is missing part of the hub and one of the grips is cracked and falling off does not make me any happier.

I'm sure it's still a great bike like you said, but that price difference is pretty substantial. There is a 2013 Enduro Comp with 10 rides on it being sold locally for $2100...makes me wonder about what I should do.

1:18
    You got a great bike for a very decent price. The 2011 is very similar and there're people who wouldn't trade their Lyrik to Float R fork. So it's a personal preference as well. Yes, the RP23 shock has the Propedal platform adjustment, but there are very few riders who change this during the ride - on and off is sufficient.

I checked the auction as well, the title says 2011 while the bike is clearly 2010, so technically you can try with Paypal SNAD claim and see what's the result. We can only speculate if the mistake was intentional or not. But for $1.5k worth of item I'm surprised you didn't at least open the Specialized website and check if the specs/pics match to those in auction.

Go out and ride, because there's not much more you can get for that kind of money, the Enduro is an excellent bike.

mtbr member
    Initiate a case via PayPal as you've nothing to lose. You may be able to settle on a lower price, otherwise the seller would have to go through the pain of getting the bike back and reselling.

Aside from the incorrect year, the missing components add to your case unless specifically called out in the listing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How effective is the Propedal setting supposed to be? I can't tell any difference with it on or off. I read lots of posts of people claiming the same thing with new shocks, and people claiming the difference is night and day. If the shock needs to be rebuilt, that is one more strike against the seller.

1:18
    If the shock is rebuilt, the difference is very noticeable. Once it's ridden a lot, the nitrogen migrates thru to the oil part and Propedal is less effective. But when new, the difference is eg. 33 % sag with PP ON and less than 20 % sag with PP OFF at the same air pressure (130 lb rider, 120 psi in the RP2 2010 Enduro).