biking is fun

2010 SX trail spring weight for light person?

We are going to be buying a used 2010 SX trail for my wife and was wondering what Spring weight we should use on it.

She weighs about 130. It currently has a #500 on it but feels way to stiff for her.

Anyone weigh close to that or maybe a little above that could point us in the right direction?

it has a rc4 fox on it as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    We are going to be buying a used 2010 SX trail for my wife and was wondering what Spring weight we should use on it.

She weighs about 130. It currently has a #500 on it but feels way to stiff for her.

Anyone weigh close to that or maybe a little above that could point us in the right direction?

160 lbs w/ a 450 spring, 33% sag w/ zero preload.
    Maybe 400-425 for her?

biking is fun
    hmmmm....

maybe, Ill have to see what i have laying around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba

Go HERE

You'll be looking under 4Bar/VPP. Remember to add the weight of her gear as well!
    She's 130, so put in 140(ish). Better yet, get her on the scale fully dressed up, armor and Camelbak, if she wears one.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    Go HERE

You'll be looking under 4Bar/VPP. Remember to add the weight of her gear as well!
    She's 130, so put in 140(ish). Better yet, get her on the scale fully dressed up, armor and Camelbak, if she wears one.

Cheers!
    I checked there already and it keeps saying around 380ish.

I really hope this is true cause we have a 375 x 2.5 ti coil i could put on it. it will be a very close fit length wise and probably stiffness wise.

guess we will find out tomorrow when we pick it up.

mtbr member
    If she uses it for a more DH application, that would work well, I think.
    Well, except the case she's hitting 10 foot drops to flat, to bottom out every time...
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    If she uses it for a more DH application, that would work well, I think.
    Well, except the case she's hitting 10 foot drops to flat, to bottom out every time...
    Yeah it will be her FR/DH with the occasional 30 min fireroad climb bike. We plan to put a 170mm lyrik solo air on the front to slacken it out a bit, maybe even an angleset headset. try to get it to a nice 65 degree HA.

she has a Banshee Spitfire that weighs 27.5 lbs that she rides for XC/AM duties. Its at 66 degrees so we are both used to slack/low bikes. Thats half the reason for the switch. Her current FR/DH bike is a transition syren which has a 67 degree HA. Having your XC/AM bike slacker than your FR/DH bike is backwards

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    The sx trails aren't easy to bottom out. She should be just fine with that spring even if it's a bit light for her. May have to run a touch more LS compression on the RC4. If she plans on doing lots of pedaling on it, then I'd try to be more precise with the spring weight that would give good sag.

On mine, I switch out for a lighter spring on lift-assisted or big shuttle days. That spring gives me 40-45% sag, and I haven't bottomed it yet.
    For trail riding I run a normal spring that gives me perfect sag for better pedaling characteristics.

mtbr member
    Haha, true. Being a girl, at her weight, might not bob that much.

From what I've seen (brief 1-day demo) the SX pedals awesome.

She'll have fun with it!

mtbr member
    Wanna adopt me as your kid?

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    Wanna adopt me as your kid?
    yes but be prepared for long hours of slave style labor and fighting for your bed (the blankets in the corner of the room) with the cats. Hard work and scratches will be worth the bike time though

mtbr member

climbingbubba

Yeah, Your Ti spring plan may work. Do not forget to check the inner and outer dia. of the spring in relation to the shock body dia. If you like, here are a few links to look at.

http://www.sicklines.com/tech/shock_details/

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/163229/

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/163794/

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/165576/

Anyway, I hope that this helps or confirms your thoughts.

All the best,

biking is fun
    Yeah It has been a concern for me. Its the whole reason i have this brand new ti coil. I bought it for my CCDB but the I.D. was too narrow (1.40) whereas the CCDB needs a minimum of 1.43.

I believe fox is 1.38 or so and i have used progressive TI coils on fox's in the past with no issues. They were DHX 5.0's though so i guess we will see.

Its also going to be a tight fit. I held the coil up to the shock and it looked like there was only 5 or so millimeters from end to end. Adding the shock collar into the mix will make it hard to get the bottom collar back on after the collar is on.

guess we will find out in a few hours.