mtbr member
    Nov 2006

2010 SX Trail II or Trek Scratch Air 8 ??

I've been riding a Blur LT for the past few years and ready to step it up to some heavier arsenal. I'm holding on to the Santa Cruz which will be my primary trail bike but looking for another bike that will take some serious abuse on the trails and up north downhilling and riding in the parks. Both bikes seem comparable in gear with the exception of air vs spring suspension. Both bikes have the same amount of travel and are also priced within $100 of each other.

Anyone out there ridden either the latest SX Trail II or Scratch Air 8 and have any feedback on their performance. I'm leaning toward the Specialized but want to make the right move considering the cost. Thanks for the input!!

UNDEAD
    What it all boils down to it this:

Ride the two and decide for yourself

Couple things;

SXT: Fox RC4 Coil = SUPER SICK and DIAL-ABLE
    Trek: Fox DHX AIR 4.0

Big difference there.....

Never ridden the Trek I can't speak for it. Always ridden an SX Trail so of course I will lean towards the SXT.
    Depends on you and what you want outta the bike.
    I can prolly say the Trek will climb better and be lighter-more of an all mountain bike. I can also say the SXT will decend better and be able to take more abuse/stiffer.
    You should be comparing the Scratch to a new Spec. Enduro, these are more along the same lines.

Scratch 9 is more apples to apples with an SXT and a whole lot more money.

Won't even bother getting into the whole FSR vs. whatever battle...that's up to you.

Good luck, both nice bike IMO
    2013 Specialized Enduro Expert
    Bronco D-handle square point Shovel

Cars Are Evil
    How well does the SX climb?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I climb my 09 SX Trail everywhere and have no problems with it. Many will say its not possible but it is...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my 08 sx trail can climb everywhere too, at 17 kilos it starts getting cumbersome on anything over 20 miles that has flats and climbs, doesnt stop me from doing it though, i could get a kilo off my tires which are dual ply minions with a downhill tube in the back, its great set up if you dont want flats though and with this dry rocky terrain, for now i live with the weight

Cars Are Evil
    Seems that bike setup is the biggest factor for climbing, not the suspension? The 2010 shock has propedal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The biggest factor for climbing is the riders position. Suspension design and setup, bike weight, gearing setup are also very important factors.

Almost any rider will be able to climb a 35 to 40 lbs bike up the hill if he has enough seatpost to strech his legs and a granny ring. So don't expect to climb up the hill with a demo 8 or a V10... But the SX or the Scratch will be more than capable

2010 fox dhx rc4 does not have propedal. 2010 dhx 4.0 coil or air have propedal. This means that 2010 sx trail 2 will not have propedal but the scratch 8 air will have. They both have grannys and full seatposts.

UNDEAD
    My '09 with DHX 5.0 coil pro-pedal is my everyday bike
    There's nothing I can't climb on it.

Am I as fast as a guy climbing on a Stumpjumper?
    no

But I am very happy with it's climbing.
    I also have a Marzocchi 66 ETA light, the ETA makes a HUGE difference!
    Def. recommend a front shock with some kind of travel adjust or whatnot...

and as mentioned above...YES this will require a rather long seatpost/drop post
    My buddies 2010 SXT 2 weighs in at 36lbs
    Pretty good for basically a Demo 6
    2013 Specialized Enduro Expert
    Bronco D-handle square point Shovel

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you have the Blur LT for a trail bike I would roll the SX Trail for sure. It is a more capable bike than the Trek. Like snow-man said the scratch is closer to an enduro than an SXT. The scratch is a nice ride, but it's not a lot more than what you've already got. I love my SX which I bought to replace my Nomad that I broke. I ride this thing everywhere, and despite weighing 35 pounds it pedals nearly as well as an enduro but descends considerably better which is why I chose it over the enduro. I rode VPP bikes for the last 4 years and after test riding the enduro and sxt was sold instantly on the FSR design. Totally different feel than my Santa Cruz And Intense bikes I've been riding. I even ordered a new Stumpjumper as my XC ride. Stoked on both!
    Keep it real. Just say "NO" to Trendy Niners!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    If you are used to climbing on the Blur, you will hate climbing on an SX or a Scratch. The weight AND geometry of each bike is just plain inferior.

If you are used to descending on a Blur, your will love descending on an SX or a Scratch. The components, frame stiffness, geometry and extra travel (i think) make both choices superior downhill. The coil suspension of the SX in particular will feel awesome.

If you want something that is more inbetween a Blur and an SX, I cant say enough about the 2010 Enduro's. Great quality, components, value, waranty, AND they pedal up and blast down. In fact, I see some sunshine peeking out from behind the clouds, gotta go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Snow- Man and others thanks for the input!!!

I was looking for just a bit more validation and you gave it to me. Posting this question on the Specialized forum - I had a feeling the response I'd get. Since I'm holding on to the LT I want to make a JUMP not just an incremental jump up in durability for riding Highland and other areas north of Boston. I actually put the order in for the SX II at the end of January but according to my shop Specialized won't be shipping until the end of March at best.

Damn - the wait is killing me but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonbrandt

Damn - the wait is killing me but I'm sure it will be worth it.
    It's very much worth it.
    I have the SXT-1 and love it
    Scored a killer deal on an unused DHX RC4 for it. Hoping to try it out this weekend
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ