mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2010 Stumpy HT Comp (The Real Picture)

Here's what it will really look like, I joined this site just to let everyone know who has one order (including myself)

I'm not completely sold on the white because I thought/assumed it would be that cool black/electric blue one posted in the thread "2010, A first look"

But tell me what you guys think, the components look similar & with a few changes.

Thanks for this awesome forum mbtr!
    Attached Images Attached Images

\m/ \m/
    I like the colors.

I ordered the Expert Carbon. Would like to see more photos of it though.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Really? White grips, shift cable, saddle, fork (well, thats ok i guess) & RIMS! i dunno but that much white just looks overdone but i'm sure this bike is a feather & the one you ordered must be like a piece of lint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mailedfist
    Really? White grips, shift cable, saddle, fork (well, thats ok i guess) & RIMS! i dunno but that much white just looks overdone but i'm sure this bike is a feather & the one you ordered must be like a piece of lint.
    Has it got white bars as well? A lot of the bikes in the 2010 First Look thread had white bars.

If you don't like white try and arrange to swap the parts out before buying the bike. You're normally stuck with whatever the wheels and fork are but it might be possible to swap the grips and saddle for black ones. My LBS were fine with doing that on both of the Specialized Epics that I bought from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    Has it got white bars as well? A lot of the bikes in the 2010 First Look thread had white bars.

If you don't like white try and arrange to swap the parts out before buying the bike. You're normally stuck with whatever the wheels and fork are but it might be possible to swap the grips and saddle for black ones. My LBS were fine with doing that on both of the Specialized Epics that I bought from them.
    Great idea! The only other option I thought of was a mango orange rockhopper pro & swap a fox shock on & also a carbon fiber bar. I love that bright scheme but I think it would be slightly heavier than the stumpy.

I must talk to them but I must see this bike in the flesh to really see if i can deal with it.

mtbr member
    The stem top cap looks like it's white as well. If you can change the grips, saddle, gear cable housing, stem top cap and possibly the bars to black ones the bike will look completely different.

Do you know if the the main frame colour is grey or silver? It's hard to tell from a photograph.

You might want to consider seeing if you can upgrade the rear cassette (you'll have to pay extra but Specialized cut corners there on a lot of models) and also your tyres to match the terrain at the same time (they look like Specialized Fast Trak LK tyres from the pic which are fast rolling but not the most aggressive tread). It depends how much the shop wants the sale with how far they'll be prepared to go with changes to the original spec.

If you haven't already I'd suggest arranging a test ride on a Stumpjumper Comp HT to get a feel for the handling. I tried a 18" 2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT and thought it was a fast bike but with handling that bordered on twitchy. Whether that's what you like is something you don't really know until you ride one. The 2010 Stumpjumper Comp HT might have different geometry though?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    awesome colour but just don reli like the curvy tube, old one looks better)
    Custom 08 Swork Stumpy FSR
    Custom Revell 250R Jump/4x/street
    Custom '10 Enduro - "sometimes trail ride turns into freeride"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey, thanks for all the replies. I decided to do some playing around in "paint" and heres how it looks modified with black saddle & grips (they won't change specs to black rims, my lbs) but after the year warranty runs out I'm probably going gloss black. Also, color is charcoal & that first picture is real bright.

It is too nice of a spec'd bike for me to start complaining about all the white...I actually kindy like it cause it's different. Here are the spec's and i'm thinking it will weigh ~ high 23 to low 24.

Here's my skills in paint! & true spec list.
    Oh, In reply to if I know how twitchy of a bike it is, yeah I wanted a fast ht that can turn good on technical & cross country sections. I needed a good climber as well, going from a 41 pound mongoose full squish to this should be like night & day!!!

FRAME M5 manipulated alloy frame, curved TT, SS w/ disc brake mount

REAR SHOCK

FORK Fox Float F90 RL, 90mm travel, air spring, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO, alloy steerer

HEADSET 1-1/8" Threadless, 10mm insertion alloy cups, sealed cartridge bearing

STEM 3D forged alloy, adjustable rise, 31.8mm clamp

HANDLEBARS Specialized XC low rise bar, 7050 butted alloy, 31.8mm, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up

GRIPS Specialized waffle lock on grip (15.5/17.5) Specialized Thick lock on grip (others)

FRONT BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir R SL, alloy backed organic pads, S/M: 160mm rotor

REAR BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir R SL, alloy backed organic pads, 15.5/17.5: 140mm, other sizes: 160mm rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Custom Avid Elixir R SL Hydraulic, tool-less adj. reach

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M660 SLX, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, top pull

REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-9, 9-speed, mid cage

SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X-7, aluminum trigger

CASSETTE Shimano HG61, 9-speed, 11-34t

CHAIN SRAM PC-971, 9-speed w/Power Link

CRANKSET Custom Shimano FC-M542, 15.5: 170mm, others: 175mm

CHAINRINGS 44A x 32A x 22S, 4-bolt, 104/64mm

BOTTOM BRACKET Custom Shimano, outboard bearing

PEDALS None

RIMS Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28h/32h

FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, CNC flange, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS, alloy QR, 28h

REAR HUB Custom Shimano M525 SL, alloy QR, 32h

SPOKES DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless

FRONT TIRE S-Works The Captain, 26x2.0", 120 TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead, dual compound

REAR TIRE S-Works Fast Trak LK, 26x2.0", 120 TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead, dual compound

INNER TUBES Ultralight presta valve

SADDLE Specialized Phenom, hollow Cr-Mo rails, thin foam, S/M: 130mm, L/XL: 143mm

SEATPOST 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 30.9mm

SEAT BINDER 7050 hard annodized alloy collar w/ QR, 34.9mm clamp ID, black

NOTES Protective clear coat, derailleur hanger, reflectors, owners manual

Specifications subject to change without notice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Don't want to forget the Stumpy base ht (It now has a Fox Fork!)

For some reason I think of the police bikes but it's still nice, although the comp looks better in my opinion.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Great looking bike! is it carbon?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My dad just ordered his 2010 Stumpjumper HT Comp and its coming in sometime this week!

Got any pics of yours yet?
    2008 Gary Fisher Hifi - First bike since I was 12 and having a blast on every ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was about to order the SJ Comp HT 29", and eventually decided to get this exact bike for various reasons. The "whiteness" on the 26" is more manageable than the 29" I think

mtbr member
    and i thought my 09' had too much white on it.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep
    As one who has been racing 29ers for five years, for the life of me I can't understand how cyclists who have internet access, and frequent mtbr, would purchase a 26er HT.

Talk to your dealer and see if you they will let you switch to a 29er HT.
    believe it or not, some prefer 26" wheels
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    i have a hardtail 26" but i am ordering a 29er ht s works tomorrow. i am looking forward to the different feel and all that a 29er brings. I will be taking most of the parts off of my 26" hardtail and putting it on the new frame and fork when it ships in october. I was quoted 1900 for a 29er s works frame and fork.

Does that sound like a good prices or should i shop around?

cougarbait
    I'm not sure that the term "prefer", describes the reasons behind most 26in HT purchases.

"Prefer" intimates that a 26in hard tail was chosen over a 29in hardtail simply because the customer has owned both, has put hundreds or thousands of miles on both, and is now voting with their dollars. "Conditioned" is a more apt description.

It is quite a rare occurance for an owner of a high quality 29er, to trade out to a 26in HT. Exposure and experience are key.

In three years time, how will the Specialized selection of 26 hard tails with decent components look? Scant, if any.
    a lot of pro riders ride 26ers
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So any word on comp al. vs comp carbon weights?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What threw me over the edge was that the LBS showed me a chart indicating that the 29" was 4 pounds heavier. That puts the bike almost in the Rockhopper territory by weight, and that did not turn me on. Especially with the extra weight being in the rotational mass... I am also a borderline size 21, having the large wheels made the bike feel too large, I would have to go down to size 19, but the geometry there is worse on that size, making me feel like I am about to go over the handlebar.

I live in SF and will use this in the city as well during the week; I read that the 26" is better to huff up steep hills due to lower power required for acceleration per each pedal stroke and lower wheel size to gear ratio. The momentum carrying power of the 29" is a good thing in general, but not so much when you are going up at 2mph.

Oh, and the 29" was all white, with the 26" being only 90% white Just kidding. But kind of off topic, what was Specialized thinking? I just picked up the bike yesterday, and it screams "look at me" to some, and "steal me" to others in every which way. The white grips are already showing dirt after only 5-10 miles. I have a decent U lock, but I think this thing is going up to the office with me, not the bike room

Above it all, I am glad that my knee is better now, and allows me to ride again; a bit of a personal thing, but that's the most important thing for me today. I won't be able to race for a long time, if at all, due to my knee...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As one who has been racing 29ers for five years, for the life of me I can't understand how cyclists who have internet access, and frequent mtbr, would purchase a 26er HT.
    Reality is not quite so black/white. There are certain facts such as: 29"wheels have less rolling resistance for the same traction and a better angle of attack for rolling over obstacles, and for wheels of equal strength and tire durability 29" will always be significantly heavier than 26" wheels. These trade-offs don't point to a clear right answer - a lot depends on rider preference and skill and on terrain and steepness of climbs. When a race course starts to get very vertical, the relatively small weight difference of 26" wheels vs 29" wheels can become a very significant factor that will be hard to make up for with the advantages of 29" wheels, especially if the rider is skilled enough to descend just as fast on the 26" wheels as they could on the 29" wheels.

I race in a series with several ski resort courses with a lot of very vertical climbs. I've seen a lot of racers decide they felt faster on 29" wheels and make the switch but then not actually improve their race results at all. But I think everyone should ride what they enjoy the most.

As far as I know, most of the top xc races in the world are still won on 26" ht's. And this seasons it has continued to happen even while competing against the most advanced (lightest wheels/tires possible) 29" ht bikes and the lightest most efficient 26" fs bikes ever developed. At a certain skill and fitness level, bike and especially wheel weight will always be the most important factor. Rolling resistance is even more important than weight, but with the right skills, you can ride almost anything you'll find on an xc course with a 26" tubeless tire with very little tread. The minimum rolling resistance that can be achieved while still having good handling is not significantly different between 26" and 29" tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    "These individuals strain at a gnat, while dismissing the larger issues at play, perhaps because they do not understand much beyond grams?"

I am amazed at how you are able to take a bicycle wheel size decision and turn it into a personal attack. Very mature. I am just getting back into bicycling after a knee injury, and within 4 posts on this forum I am faced with this nonsense. I understand the pros and cons of each option, and have purchased the bicycle that I prefer and am intent on enjoying it. Everybody's riding style and the terrain that they ride on are different, and therefore they all have different preferences, and therefore there are different bikes out there. I respect everyone's choices, and would hope the same from others.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bike IS AWESOME!! Will post full review this week with photos taken in the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountain Range.
    I now love the white, the bike looks really tough and I'll I had them change was to a black saddle. This BIKE IS SOO FAST!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Stump HT's are excellent.

The white has a sort of retro look. Love the bikes, but I'm not sure I like the graphics.

White seat and grips are sure to get grimy looking in short order.

Members who have read this thread: 0