mtbr member
    May 2009

2010 Stumpy Elite

Okay guys been out of it for 7 years, got the itch again. Last steed was a 2001 Giant NRS3. I'll keep this short and sweet:

2010 Elite is $2600 in San Antonio. I don't want the Expert (the Brain scares me) cause I'm heading to Colorado for a week in May with the new bike then we move to Tokyo for 4 years. The Talas and Triad will suit me just fine. I'm 5 foot 10, 200lbs and here is my plan:

Carbon Bar
    XT Cassete
    XT Train kit
    Cane Creek Headset
    XT pedals
    Convert to Tubeless
    New Saddle

My question is will the DT Swiss 420's that come with the bike do the job? The Carbon comes with the same wheels and is over 5k! Or is it worth looking at Rovals or Crank Bros Cobalts? My budget is a $4500 build, trying to find the sweet spot between durable and light--not a weight weenie. I am very grateful for all the knowledge you guys have posted and any inputs are greatly appreciated. I plan to purchase in March so I have time. My friend talked me out of a Trance X2 so let me hear it boys!

Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpicos
    Okay guys been out of it for 7 years, got the itch again. Last steed was a 2001 Giant NRS3. I'll keep this short and sweet:

2010 Elite is $2600 in San Antonio. I don't want the Expert (the Brain scares me) cause I'm heading to Colorado for a week in May with the new bike then we move to Tokyo for 4 years. The Talas and Triad will suit me just fine. I'm 5 foot 10, 200lbs and here is my plan:

Carbon Bar
    XT Cassete
    XT Train kit
    Cane Creek Headset
    XT pedals
    Convert to Tubeless
    New Saddle

My question is will the DT Swiss 420's that come with the bike do the job? The Carbon comes with the same wheels and is over 5k! Or is it worth looking at Rovals or Crank Bros Cobalts? My budget is a $4500 build, trying to find the sweet spot between durable and light--not a weight weenie. I am very grateful for all the knowledge you guys have posted and any inputs are greatly appreciated. I plan to purchase in March so I have time. My friend talked me out of a Trance X2 so let me hear it boys!

Jason
    Hey Jason, I'm 6ft and about 240# (stupid Thanksgiving dinner)...I've got an 08 Stumpy Expert with the DT Swiss x420s that came with it and they've held just fine for me. No probs at all. I'm sure you'll do just fine with the setup you're looking at. Good luck, hopefully I'll see you out at Government Canyon someday

BTW, I know you've made your decision, but the brain is awesome
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpicos
    The Carbon comes with the same wheels and is over 5k! Jason
    The rear hub on the carbon and expert is different and a huge upgrade over the shimano hub on the elite. The expert/carbon wheels also use double butted spokes, the elite wheels do not.

The biggest problem some people have with the oem dt/spesh wheels is that the 28 spoke front wheel is a bit flimsy. The hub is decent - I would have kept it on my bike, but again - I wanted a 32 spoke front wheel.

Crank bros - do a search and see.

I also think you're missing alot of the advantages for the expert. I just don't get why so many people on this board buy a lower end bike and spend thousands on upgrades right out of the box. Why not just get the better bike ? With the expert you get the talas, the brain (which is dead reliable for most people), xt cranks, XO rear der., x9 shifters, nicer wheels - all of the major parts are lighter. With the expert all I would do is an XT cassette right away and carbon bars and a thompson post, maybe a lighter seat.

And did you even notice that the elite has a triad rear shock ? Thats like 2 steps down from the brain equipped shock. If it was an rp23 then its not as big a difference.

The bottom line is that, IMO, the elite is not a good deal at all for the consumer while the expert might be a bit of a bargain.

mtbr member
    for $4500 I would just get the Expert or Expert Carbon. Add wider bar and pedals and be done.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My thoughts exactly. Get the Expert. Manufacturers buy parts much cheaper than you or I can (even though I work at a shop).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks guys!! I'm still digging, leaning expert or expert carbon...That carbon pro is killer, but coming from a $1200 Giant, 5k is too much too fast!