Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2010 Stumpjumper Versatility

Is the new '10 Stumpjumper the most versatile bike specialized has to offer? Originally I thought I wanted something like the fsr xc because of it's lighter weight and the ability to lock it out for riding rail trails etc. Then I thought maybe I'd need more travel like an AM bike such as the Pitch or Enduro for going up and down the mountain trails around my cabin. Now I'm beginning to think it may be worth spending more cash on a stumpjumper seeing that it now has more travel than many xc bikes but also can be locked out when you want to pedal more efficiently on a flat trail and is lighter than a lot of AM bikes. There was a nice review in MBA magazine praising this bikes all round capability. Any thoughts on that?

mtbr member
    I would say your choices are between the Stumpy and Enduro with the Stumpy being the better climber and the Enduro being the better descender.

I have always looked at the FSR XC as the entry level Stumpy and the Pitch as the entry level Enduro just based on their price points.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yea....i was just thinking that because the stumpjumper has over 5 inches of travel that it was sort of in between the two classes.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21A1si_V14o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21A1si_V14o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

found this on the website

cougarbait
    it sounds like you don't need long travel
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    it sounds like you don't need long travel
    Well to tell you the truth I'm not really sure what I need......hence the indecision about a bike.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    Well to tell you the truth I'm not really sure what I need......hence the indecision about a bike.
    tell us more about the trails you ride (or are intending to ride), and your riding style (i.e. smash over everything in your way or pick smooth lines)

have you considered a hardtail??
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I intend to ride gameland trails near my cabin but also single track/fire road trails in my local area. Some of the trails around are also pretty rocky.....one trail being called Rocky Ridge haha i guess because of the rocks? Anyways the reason I was asking about the SJ versatility is because I think I'll be riding a little bit of everything. I'm adventurous also so i'd be up for trying drops or anything the trail has to offer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    also....the gameland trails are not maintained at all....so there will be lots of obstacles on those. One of the trails I ride ATV's on up there is a very rocky...

cougarbait
    to be honest, I think the best bike would be a hardtail, but I am biased towards skill over suspension
    I think the 140mm stumpy would be a great match for what you're describing. The extra travel, ruggedness and weight penalty of a pitch or enduro aren't quite justified, and an epic or stumpy HT might limit you to what you are able to ride within your comfort zone.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ok....but back to the versatility of this bike....because that was what this thread was orginally posted for, not to determine what type of bike I need at the moment. It seems as though the 2010 version is like a jack of all trades and master of none...is that correct? It can be used for long xc rides or for light dh but it won't pedal like an epic or decend like an enduro.....right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Comparison

I live in the Northeast and have demoed both bikes.

Here it is rocky, rooty, tight climbs, fireroads, etc...
    Its all personal pref. I had a 2007 Enduro which was great but am moving on.

The 2010 Enduro is great but I am stepping back more from freeriding and still didnt want to give up the travel. Although it climbs very well, all around it is a bunch of bike to use for mostly XC.

The 2010 Stump FSR blurs the line between all catagories to me. Super plush or rigid. Great climber, light, flickable and fun. Much more versatile than previous stumps I have ridden.

Try them both BEFORE you buy. It changed my mind. Its all personal.
    Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Does anyone know the cost of the 2010 Stumpjumper? I have an 07 Enduro SL that I am considering selling for this. I too feel that the SJ may be a better all around bike

mtbr member
    Specialized has all the prices listed on their website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I can't find it on their site. Sorry to dreall the thread. Carry on

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OP - we are in the very same boat! I live in Montana and have access to some very rugged terrain. however, the trail network in my town is very buff single track and basically all XC rides. While i am still pretty young, 24, i can't really every see myself doing a a 10 foot drop or gap any time in the near future. I already ride three foot drops to smooth transitions and hit small doubles on my 2005 stumpy HT in racer mode (high seat post and flexy american classic wheels).

So my dilemma is this. I want to buya new full suspension bike. I am looking at Mojos, Enduros, and the 2010 stumpjumper fsr. I have never owned a full suspension bike. I have rented one twice at silver mountain (specialized big hit i think?) and really just kinda nervous about adjusting to rear suspension. I think an enduro might be too much bike for my local trails, but would be fun to have to travel with. I think the 2010 stumpy would be perfect for my local trails, but might leave me wanting more when i do see a nice drop or bigger jump. Pretty much i am afraid it will hold me back a bit by being "too little" bike. Si my question is this...

Do you think the 2010 with a good pilot could handle the two drops and step up on Amasa back in Moab? I can't really envision myself ever going bigger than that, but when i road trip down to Moab this spring i want to hit those drops and jumps.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread OP. But i think we share a common ground concerning our
    dilema.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...ertAction2.jpg This is the step up i'm talking about.

http://www.williamkirk.com/images/20...masakicker.jpg here's a picture of the step up from a different angle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ok....but back to the versatility of this bike....because that was what this thread was orginally posted for, not to determine what type of bike I need at the moment. It seems as though the 2010 version is like a jack of all trades and master of none...is that correct? It can be used for long xc rides or for light dh but it won't pedal like an epic or decend like an enduro.....right?
    Yes but it also comes down to the rider. I typically smoke riders on uphills cuzz my legs are quite strong at climbing. On the other hand, some guys can out-DH me on a BMX lol.

I suggest you take some test rides and see what you like. IMO, based on what you've said, i'd think an XC would suffice...lighter frame but still with 120 mm travel (Spec FSR XC). Spending the extra money when ur not even sure what you want, just seems like a waste to me.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD
    Yes but it also comes down to the rider. I typically smoke riders on uphills cuzz my legs are quite strong at climbing. On the other hand, some guys can out-DH me on a BMX lol.

I suggest you take some test rides and see what you like. IMO, based on what you've said, i'd think an XC would suffice...lighter frame but still with 120 mm travel (Spec FSR XC). Spending the extra money when ur not even sure what you want, just seems like a waste to me.
    I do not think the FSR XC is lighter than a stumpy fsr... the only positive it has is that it is cheaper
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yea terrapin...sounds like we have the same dilema. Unlike you though, I don't even own a hardtail at this point....just my road bike. I don't want to buy one bike for one type of riding and another for something else because I don't have that kinda $. I just want the best all rounder I can find but don't want to be left wanting more either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I do not think the FSR XC is lighter than a stumpy fsr... the only positive it has is that it is cheaper
    True, i was thinking more along the lines of comparing to true DH bikes, which tend to weigh quite a bit more than XC bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hear you man. I hear you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If this was my decision (i no it's not) if you dont want to feel OVER or UNDER-BIKED and basically you can only have one bike to DO-IT-ALL! it has to be the stumpy.

QUESTION IS WHICH MODEL!!

look at it this way you have a NICE head banging dilemma to sort out.

lucky you.

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Perhaps not this year, but the high-end FSR XC was about the same weight as the low-end Stumpy FSR last year. It was a similar story for the Pitch and Enduro SL last year.

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Stumpy is the better all rounder but I've always found the ride lacks character. I think the reason why I feel this way is that the stumpy is competent at everything but not brilliant in any area (which is why it is Specialized's best selling bike, it does the job for most people).

I always prefer to ride a bike which excels in at least one area. The Enduro is brilliant on gnarly trails and downhill. I am happy to accept the odd compromise for a bike which gives me a buzz every ride. The Enduro does that for me but the stumpy never has.

The Enduro is still very good uphill. I've found it a better climber on really rough uphill climbs than the Stumpy. There are some climbs on my local trails which I can comfortably clear on my Enduro but really struggle on a stumpy. The stumpy is far superior on smoother climbs though...

The best thing is to try both on your trails to see which you prefer. You may find you agree with me, or perhaps you might not!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG
    The Stumpy is the better all rounder but I've always found the ride lacks character. I think the reason why I feel this way is that the stumpy is competent at everything but not brilliant in any area (which is why it is Specialized's best selling bike, it does the job for most people).

I always prefer to ride a bike which excels in at least one area. The Enduro is brilliant on gnarly trails and downhill. I am happy to accept the odd compromise for a bike which gives me a buzz every ride. The Enduro does that for me but the stumpy never has.

The Enduro is still very good uphill. I've found it a better climber on really rough uphill climbs than the Stumpy. There are some climbs on my local trails which I can comfortably clear on my Enduro but really struggle on a stumpy. The stumpy is far superior on smoother climbs though...

The best thing is to try both on your trails to see which you prefer. You may find you agree with me, or perhaps you might not!
    I kinda agree with that. I got an Enduro SL and I come from 4" travel XC bikes so it is taking a bit of getting used to but I am surprised at how well it climbs. after a couple of rides I was thinking maybe the Stumpjumper FSR was a better fit but after looking at the specs, the weights are not all that different and I like the goemetry of the SL better than my old, twitchy XC bike. Sure maybe the SJ climbs a little better but like you said, when I head down a gnarly, rock filled descent this Enduro SL really shines. It puts a grin on my face for the rest of the ride. The cool thing is with the Enduro SL, you don't really suffer on the climbs (to my pleasant surprise). It's not the most efficient climber but it's pretty damned good. I make it up all the climbs that I did on my 4" travel XC bike. Funny thing I noticed going to the SL was I felt alot higher from the ground. weird, I would have never thought that would happen.

cougarbait
    Perhaps not this year, but the high-end FSR XC was about the same weight as the low-end Stumpy FSR last year. It was a similar story for the Pitch and Enduro SL last year.
    I think you misread something..
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

I know you said you have the enduro but I just saw the some of the stumpy's have 140 mm of travel, which is the same as the Pitch. I know the enduro has more travel than the pitch but still, the fact that the stumpy has the same amount of travel as an AM bike will raise some eyebrows......it did mine anyways

cougarbait
    I know you said you have the enduro but I just saw the some of the stumpy's have 140 mm of travel, which is the same as the Pitch. I know the enduro has more travel than the pitch but still, the fact that the stumpy has the same amount of travel as an AM bike will raise some eyebrows......it did mine anyways
    all 2010 stumpy have 140mm
    all pitch have 150mm rear, with allowance for 160mm fork
    all 2010 enduro are 160mm, 09 are 150mm

in addition, the stumpy has much steeper geo than both of the other bikes
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    lambda....thanks for the clarification on that. I guess the point that I was trying to get at is the fact that with the new stumpy the gap between XC and AM has gotten much smaller. That's just my opinion though. Maybe some don't see it that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    lambda....thanks for the clarification on that. I guess the point that I was trying to get at is the fact that with the new stumpy the gap between XC and AM has gotten much smaller. That's just my opinion though. Maybe some don't see it that way.
    That is what I was saying sort of when I noticed not that huge of a difference in the SL and the SJ. Others, correct me if I'm wrong though

Another thing to consider: That Video is from Specialized, of course they are going to say it's the best thing since white bread.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Do you think the 2010 with a good pilot could handle the two drops and step up on Amasa back in Moab? I can't really envision myself ever going bigger than that, but when i road trip down to Moab this spring i want to hit those drops and jumps.
    I've never ridden that trail... so I can't comment specifically on those two drops, but I would say yes. I've hit 10 ft drops, 20+ ft doubles, and dh race tracks on my 575... which is 146mm rear 160mm front. As long as you are smooth you'll be fine.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

cougarbait
    something to keep in mind-travel is hardly the entire story... just look at the SX
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    Does anyone know the cost of the 2010 Stumpjumper? I have an 07 Enduro SL that I am considering selling for this. I too feel that the SJ may be a better all around bike
    I think MSRP runs anywhere from $2200 up to $7700.....depending on which version you get

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is the new stumpy the only bike across all brands that is in the XC lineup with as much travel as it has? None of the Trek Fuel Ex line have more than 120mm I don't think. I don't know about the other brands tho. Just curious. This may be a competitive advantage they have over other companies to say they have the xc bike with the most travel

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    When talking about the enduro, the 2010 is a completly different animal than previous years. It is capable in all realms. I wouldnt try to win an XC race but you should be able to keep up with your buds on the trail. At the same time you can drop the seat an hit a slolom course if you want. I lean to more aggresive bikes because I mainly DH/FR so the enduro is the one I lust over.

At the same time those who say the Stumpy is jack of all master of none is kinda wrong. As a fun "all-round" trail bike, I rip on this bike, way harder than I do on an Epic. The only advantage the Epic might have for me is the fact that I can ride for like five hours straight with out a break. Its like being on a road bike. The bottom line is the Stumpy is a fun, FAST, efficeint bike.

If you want to try light duty freeride and do some drops, jumps and take the gnar line. Go with the Enduro.

If you just want a bad ass bike and dont want to take the risk of going bigger, go with the Stumpy.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, well I kinda have an idea of how this bike stacks up compared to the other bikes in the Specialized lineup. What about the versatility of this bike when comparing it to other XC bikes? Are there any others that can match the all-round capability of this bike? I know for the most part you won't find an XC bike with 140mm of travel

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I aree withHTFR!

I agree!

It's about how you ride the bike and what/where you ride with it. Demoing the bikes made the choice for me.

Enduro: trail/light freeride. Fun as hell!
    Stumpy: trail, super fast and fun very versatile.

On a side note, am I hearing the lyrics have issues? This might be a rumor. Just curious.

mtbr member
    Ok, well I kinda have an idea of how this bike stacks up compared to the other bikes in the Specialized lineup. What about the versatility of this bike when comparing it to other XC bikes? Are there any others that can match the all-round capability of this bike? I know for the most part you won't find an XC bike with 140mm of travel
    Bet the Trek Fuel EX goes to 140mm next year!!!

MattSavage
    For all intents and purposes, sounds like you guys need the stumpy... I don't think anyone on here will out ride it.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Specialized has had this nailed for years. However thats not saying its the end all of MTB. There are other bikes out there that are close to this level. Trek, santa cruz, yeti, giant all make good bikes. The one advantage the Stumpy will have is the Brain. If you are on smooth singletrack, keep the rear nice and tight. If you want to get nasty, open the rear end up a little. Even if you get a lower level Stumpy with out the brain its hard to beat.
    You cant go wrong. Its a STUMPY!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Do you think the upgrade in travel will trickle down to the fsr xc....that is usually what happens isn't it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    When talking about the enduro, the 2010 is a completly different animal than previous years. It is capable in all realms. I wouldnt try to win an XC race but you should be able to keep up with your buds on the trail. At the same time you can drop the seat an hit a slolom course if you want. I lean to more aggresive bikes because I mainly DH/FR so the enduro is the one I lust over.

At the same time those who say the Stumpy is jack of all master of none is kinda wrong. As a fun "all-round" trail bike, I rip on this bike, way harder than I do on an Epic. The only advantage the Epic might have for me is the fact that I can ride for like five hours straight with out a break. Its like being on a road bike. The bottom line is the Stumpy is a fun, FAST, efficeint bike.

If you want to try light duty freeride and do some drops, jumps and take the gnar line. Go with the Enduro.

If you just want a bad ass bike and dont want to take the risk of going bigger, go with the Stumpy.
    You FR/DH on a stumpjumper? Ouch. I have a 40lb Kona Stinky for the DH/FR Lift places. If I rode a SJ there I would surely break something

mtbr member
    I've been riding an '07 Enduro and just bought a 2010 Sumpjumper FSR Expert 29r. I find that the 29r is just as good as, and in many cases better than my old bike.

The two bikes handle and react about the same but the bigger wheels, even with an inch less suspension, hook up even better.

Today I'm looking out the window as 6 inches of fresh snow falls . . . . SIgh!

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    You FR/DH on a stumpjumper? Ouch. I have a 40lb Kona Stinky for the DH/FR Lift places. If I rode a SJ there I would surely break something
    No. I have a 2010 demo 7 for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goingleft
    I agree!

It's about how you ride the bike and what/where you ride with it. Demoing the bikes made the choice for me.

Enduro: trail/light freeride. Fun as hell!
    Stumpy: trail, super fast and fun very versatile.

On a side note, am I hearing the lyrics have issues? This might be a rumor. Just curious.
    Hey Goingleft, I got your Enduro SL
    Last edited by shift96; 12-21-2009 at 07:07 AM.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Kind of off topic, but we just got in the 2010 stumpy $-works at my shop. Holy Shiat! It is the sickest bike ever created. The sram XX is over the top quality and I don't know if they changed something in the future shock this year but it gets 5 stars on the old parking lot test. It almost makes me want to sell my fleet to get this one bike. Wicked spendy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Shift96

Ha!

Hope you are still digging my bike!

I am hoping to get a Stump FSR by mid summer.
    Unable to ride for a bit, I am bikeless until then.

ps: Demo the 2010 Enduro SL... INSANE! Stump FSR rocks it also!

Best!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goingleft
    Ha!

Hope you are still digging my bike!

I am hoping to get a Stump FSR by mid summer.
    Unable to ride for a bit, I am bikeless until then.

ps: Demo the 2010 Enduro SL... INSANE! Stump FSR rocks it also!

Best!
    Lovin it man. It's way overkill for what I need but it climbs good and is a hoot going down. You sold me a great bike. Good luck with getting a new bike Hit me up when you do, let's ride!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast