Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

2010 Stumpjumper Versatility

Is the new '10 Stumpjumper the most versatile bike specialized has to offer? Originally I thought I wanted something like the fsr xc because of it's lighter weight and the ability to lock it out for riding rail trails etc. Then I thought maybe I'd need more travel like an AM bike such as the Pitch or Enduro for going up and down the mountain trails around my cabin. Now I'm beginning to think it may be worth spending more cash on a stumpjumper seeing that it now has more travel than many xc bikes but also can be locked out when you want to pedal more efficiently on a flat trail and is lighter than a lot of AM bikes. There was a nice review in MBA magazine praising this bikes all round capability. Any thoughts on that?

mtbr member
    I would say your choices are between the Stumpy and Enduro with the Stumpy being the better climber and the Enduro being the better descender.

I have always looked at the FSR XC as the entry level Stumpy and the Pitch as the entry level Enduro just based on their price points.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yea....i was just thinking that because the stumpjumper has over 5 inches of travel that it was sort of in between the two classes.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

found this on the website

cougarbait
    it sounds like you don't need long travel
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    it sounds like you don't need long travel
    Well to tell you the truth I'm not really sure what I need......hence the indecision about a bike.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    Well to tell you the truth I'm not really sure what I need......hence the indecision about a bike.
    tell us more about the trails you ride (or are intending to ride), and your riding style (i.e. smash over everything in your way or pick smooth lines)

have you considered a hardtail??
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I intend to ride gameland trails near my cabin but also single track/fire road trails in my local area. Some of the trails around are also pretty rocky.....one trail being called Rocky Ridge haha i guess because of the rocks? Anyways the reason I was asking about the SJ versatility is because I think I'll be riding a little bit of everything. I'm adventurous also so i'd be up for trying drops or anything the trail has to offer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    also....the gameland trails are not maintained at all....so there will be lots of obstacles on those. One of the trails I ride ATV's on up there is a very rocky...

cougarbait
    to be honest, I think the best bike would be a hardtail, but I am biased towards skill over suspension
    I think the 140mm stumpy would be a great match for what you're describing. The extra travel, ruggedness and weight penalty of a pitch or enduro aren't quite justified, and an epic or stumpy HT might limit you to what you are able to ride within your comfort zone.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ok....but back to the versatility of this bike....because that was what this thread was orginally posted for, not to determine what type of bike I need at the moment. It seems as though the 2010 version is like a jack of all trades and master of none...is that correct? It can be used for long xc rides or for light dh but it won't pedal like an epic or decend like an enduro.....right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Comparison

I live in the Northeast and have demoed both bikes.

Here it is rocky, rooty, tight climbs, fireroads, etc...
    Its all personal pref. I had a 2007 Enduro which was great but am moving on.

The 2010 Enduro is great but I am stepping back more from freeriding and still didnt want to give up the travel. Although it climbs very well, all around it is a bunch of bike to use for mostly XC.

The 2010 Stump FSR blurs the line between all catagories to me. Super plush or rigid. Great climber, light, flickable and fun. Much more versatile than previous stumps I have ridden.

Try them both BEFORE you buy. It changed my mind. Its all personal.
    Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Does anyone know the cost of the 2010 Stumpjumper? I have an 07 Enduro SL that I am considering selling for this. I too feel that the SJ may be a better all around bike

mtbr member
    Specialized has all the prices listed on their website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I can't find it on their site. Sorry to dreall the thread. Carry on

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OP - we are in the very same boat! I live in Montana and have access to some very rugged terrain. however, the trail network in my town is very buff single track and basically all XC rides. While i am still pretty young, 24, i can't really every see myself doing a a 10 foot drop or gap any time in the near future. I already ride three foot drops to smooth transitions and hit small doubles on my 2005 stumpy HT in racer mode (high seat post and flexy american classic wheels).

So my dilemma is this. I want to buya new full suspension bike. I am looking at Mojos, Enduros, and the 2010 stumpjumper fsr. I have never owned a full suspension bike. I have rented one twice at silver mountain (specialized big hit i think?) and really just kinda nervous about adjusting to rear suspension. I think an enduro might be too much bike for my local trails, but would be fun to have to travel with. I think the 2010 stumpy would be perfect for my local trails, but might leave me wanting more when i do see a nice drop or bigger jump. Pretty much i am afraid it will hold me back a bit by being "too little" bike. Si my question is this...

Do you think the 2010 with a good pilot could handle the two drops and step up on Amasa back in Moab? I can't really envision myself ever going bigger than that, but when i road trip down to Moab this spring i want to hit those drops and jumps.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread OP. But i think we share a common ground concerning our
    dilema.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...ertAction2.jpg This is the step up i'm talking about.

http://www.williamkirk.com/images/20...masakicker.jpg here's a picture of the step up from a different angle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    ok....but back to the versatility of this bike....because that was what this thread was orginally posted for, not to determine what type of bike I need at the moment. It seems as though the 2010 version is like a jack of all trades and master of none...is that correct? It can be used for long xc rides or for light dh but it won't pedal like an epic or decend like an enduro.....right?
    Yes but it also comes down to the rider. I typically smoke riders on uphills cuzz my legs are quite strong at climbing. On the other hand, some guys can out-DH me on a BMX lol.

I suggest you take some test rides and see what you like. IMO, based on what you've said, i'd think an XC would suffice...lighter frame but still with 120 mm travel (Spec FSR XC). Spending the extra money when ur not even sure what you want, just seems like a waste to me.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD
    Yes but it also comes down to the rider. I typically smoke riders on uphills cuzz my legs are quite strong at climbing. On the other hand, some guys can out-DH me on a BMX lol.

I suggest you take some test rides and see what you like. IMO, based on what you've said, i'd think an XC would suffice...lighter frame but still with 120 mm travel (Spec FSR XC). Spending the extra money when ur not even sure what you want, just seems like a waste to me.
    I do not think the FSR XC is lighter than a stumpy fsr... the only positive it has is that it is cheaper
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yea terrapin...sounds like we have the same dilema. Unlike you though, I don't even own a hardtail at this point....just my road bike. I don't want to buy one bike for one type of riding and another for something else because I don't have that kinda $. I just want the best all rounder I can find but don't want to be left wanting more either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I do not think the FSR XC is lighter than a stumpy fsr... the only positive it has is that it is cheaper
    True, i was thinking more along the lines of comparing to true DH bikes, which tend to weigh quite a bit more than XC bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hear you man. I hear you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If this was my decision (i no it's not) if you dont want to feel OVER or UNDER-BIKED and basically you can only have one bike to DO-IT-ALL! it has to be the stumpy.

QUESTION IS WHICH MODEL!!

look at it this way you have a NICE head banging dilemma to sort out.

lucky you.

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Perhaps not this year, but the high-end FSR XC was about the same weight as the low-end Stumpy FSR last year. It was a similar story for the Pitch and Enduro SL last year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast