mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2010 Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp - sag settings?

Hope someone can impart some wisdom. I got a new 2010 Stumpy and I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to set the correct sag on the fork - Rock Shox Reba SL 29.

Here are the specs of the fork from the Specialized website:
    "Rock Shox Reba SL 29 for Specialized, 120mm of travel, 45mm offset, air spring, alloy tapered steerer, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO"

Tried to contact Specialized support and get page not found errors and no other direct contact info.

So searched the web but got somewhat confusing information...

The Specialized support website lists the FSR Stumpjumper manual at http://www.specialized.com/ja/en/bc/...Name=downloads

There are 2 relevant links there:

The first link shows how to set up the FOX Triad rear shock. It talks about installing the fork but nothing about sag setup.

The second link really is the same as the info for the FOX rear shock, NOT THE Reba fork!

I also checked out the SRAM website (manufacturer of Reba) and it does not provide any info for the specific Reba forks done for Specialized.

SO HOW DO YOU SET SAG CORRECTLY ON THE REBA FORK?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Set all compression and damping knobs to the middle most position.

Ride the bike on a trail type you ride the most.

Did it use the amount of travel you wanted it to? Remove or add 5~10 psi of positive and negative air (but keep them equal for now) Ride trail again, then re-adjust as needed, repeat till happy with travel. Then make adjustments on with the knobs.

I would get the fork close till I have 20 hard hours on the fork,then the seals and internals should all be worn in a bit, then start fine tuning. The charts only get you in the ball field for your weight.

If you truly want your fork set up for you, your trails, and your bike, then get it PUSHed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For the Reba fork as an initial setting I've been setting people at the sticker suggested psi of rider weight -5lbs. Watch the suspension setup videos on our website, by learning the basic suspension setup principles you can adjust most suspension platforms. Keep in mind you want to tune the shock and fork simultaneously, if one is too firm/soft this will affect the others settings. You generally want fork rebound faster than the shock rebound, compression is personal preference.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

mtbr member
    I started running my air pressure as though I weighed 20 lbs less than the recommended starting pressure for my body weight. This has worked fine while I'm breaking in the suspension. I'm still not using all of my suspension, but I'll fine tune it when I get another 10 or so hours on my bike.

I can't believe how fast his bike is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for your input; I was trying to avoid the trial and error approach starting from scratch. I am somewhat of a beginner and would like to start with recommended settings first. I don't have enough experience to have a sense of how the suspension should feel...

mtbr member
    To tag onto this thread since I have similar questions about setting up the Reba, I have the Reba SL on a '10 epic, does the Rebound knob ever stop when you're cranking either one way or the other? How many turns is it from lock to lock? My seems to go on forever and I didn't want to mess anything up by cranking too far. Without knowing the endpoints i couldn't figure out where the middle is between the two extremes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hmmm... not sure if that's right; Mine turns only about 270 degrees from full unlock to full lock. It will not allow turning more than that one way or another.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rneagu
    Hmmm... not sure if that's right; Mine turns only about 270 degrees from full unlock to full lock. It will not allow turning more than that one way or another.
    The knob (rebound) that i'm referring to is on the bottom of the fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ooh, I see... haven't done any adjustment on that yet - hopefully someone else will provide some insight on best way to adjust rebound and ensuring we do not over- or under- screw that knob.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    If you truly want your fork set up for you, your trails, and your bike, then get it PUSHed.
    I don't get the lingo... what is PUSHed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    Watch the suspension setup videos on our website, by learning the basic suspension setup principles you can adjust most suspension platforms.
    Excellent video resource, thanks so much for pointing it out.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/micros.../main.html?x=y

I did some extensive searches previously on Google and manually on the Specialized and Sram websites and came up empty. Your web team may need to do some SEO for that part of your website and have some links more readily available from your home page. Very helpful!

Between that and the chart that I found on a sticker on the fork I may be able to piece together how to do it. I am nevertheless extremely surprised at how difficult it has been to get the information I need. Granted, I am a newbie, but I would think this is basic stuff that is to be communicated clearly to a new customer in the literature they receive with their new bike. Hopefully you can pass along this feedback to your technical writers and website team.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    For the Reba fork as an initial setting I've been setting people at the sticker suggested psi of rider weight -5lbs. Watch the suspension setup videos on our website, by learning the basic suspension setup principles you can adjust most suspension platforms.
    OK, I studied the video and it was helpful but I still have some confusions. The suspension setup was for 2008 Stumpjumper FSR/Saphire. Two differences from my 2010 Comp: #1 I don't have the Brain, have the TRIAD so my blue compression button has three settings rather than continuous adjustment. The other and more confusing difference is that the fork has the blue button at top and the red at bottom. The video shows them reversed. So the question is - is BLUE always for COMPRESSION, regardless of where it is situated?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    OK, so based on official input, Specialized video (albeit done for 2008 Stumpjumper or Saphire) and whatever online manuals and resources I found, here is how to setup shock/fork pressure/sag. In red I still have some open questions...

[SIZE="7"]FORK & SHOCK SETUP[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29[/SIZE]
    • Shock: Fox Triad, custom on-the-fly 3-position switch 1) lock out 2) Open 3) ProPedal pedal assisting damping, rebound adj., 7.875x1.8"
    • Fork: Rock Shox Reba SL 29 for Specialized, 120mm of travel, 45mm offset, air spring, alloy tapered steerer, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO

[SIZE="4"]PREP[/SIZE]

• Prep bike: clean dirt/residue on rear shock and fork
    • Move travel indicator O-rings all the way to the dust wiper (use zip-tie if missing O-ring)
    • Ensure seat is as proper ride height

[SIZE="4"]SET INITIAL COMPRESSION/REBOUND[/SIZE]

• Rear shock -> blue compression knob - turn CLOCKWISE to full FIRM setting (I assume on TRIAD I put on LOCK???)
    • Rear shock -> blue compression knob - back-out counter-clockwise *1* full revolution
      (What do I do on TRIAD???)
    • Rear shock -> red rebound knob - turn CLOCKWISE to full SLOW setting
    • Rear shock -> red rebound knob - back-out counter-clockwise 12 clicks
      (Is this 1 full revolution, how do I know if this info from the video for 2008 Stumpjumper FSR applies to the Fox Triad shock I have in 2010???)
    • Fork -> blue compression knob (bottom-right fork leg) - turn CLOCKWISE to full FIRM setting
      (My blue button is at top so are the instructions for the blue button regardless of position or for the button at top regardless of color???)
    • Fork -> blue compression knob - back-out counter-clockwise *1.5* revolutions
      (My knob has a lockout in under 1 revolution, so how much should I tunr???)
    • Fork -> red rebound knob - turn CLOCKWISE to full SLOW setting
    • Fork -> red rebound knob - back-out counter-clockwise *1.5* revolutions
      (are these instructions correct for my fork???)

[SIZE="4"]SET INITIAL PRESSURE[/SIZE]

• Identify rider weight: weigh rider wearing all riding gear, including full hydration system, etc. Total weight for me 190lbs (187 lbs body + 10 lbs gear incl camelback filled to 1.5l, then rounded up 3 lbs). Experts recommend setting initial settings at weight MINUS 5 lbs
      (is that until the pistons get broken in, so maybe about 10 hours of ride time???)
    • Get recommended SHOCK pressure from chart at:
      http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/..._Manual_r1.pdf
      For my 190 lbs it shows 200 PSI recommended for FOX TRIAD (expert says to go for 5 lbs lighter in chart, at least initially, which would be 195 PSI)
    • Get recommended FORK pressure from chart on fork sticker.
      For my 190 lbs the Rock Shox Reba SL 29 sticker shows 127.5 PSI for both positive and negative chambers (or 124 PSI initially, for 5 lbs lighter).
      NOTE: Some recommend for plushest ride to set positive at 60% of your body weight and negative pressure somewhere below that. Manual implies higher negative pressue gives plusher ride... and chart on fork sticker shows pos and neg pressures set equal
    • Rear shock -> remove air valve cover, screw shock pump; inflate/defalte to get initial pressure recommended above, unscrew pump. NOTE: trust numbers you put in, not numbers you read after screwing the pump as the act of screwing the pump will loose air; the act of unscrewing pump will not, on a good pump.
    • Fork -> remove airlock cover on top right of fork, screw shock pump; inflate/defalte to get initial pressure recommended above, unscrew pump
      (this is where I have my blue button, not the red as shown in video, is that OK??? Since my fork is DUAL-AIR, do I need to set pressure both at top and bottom???)

[SIZE="4"]MEASURE SAG[/SIZE]

• Move travel indicator O-rings all the way to the dust wiper (use zip-tie if missing O-ring)
    • Ride bike softly 9-15' and do not put more pressure than just body weight
    • Measure sag for SHOCK with sagometer
      (My bike did not come with a sagometer )
    • Adjust pressure to match recommended sag marked on the sagometer (chart at link above says FSR 29 Fox Triad sag should be 20 to 25% of shock stroke or 9-11mm)
    • Reset O-ring or tie and ride and measure again and repeat steps until sag matches sagometer groove
    • Measure sag for FORK with tape measure to be 26-34mm from dust wiper
      (is this valid for my fork that has increased travel, what is the appropriate sag for my specific 2010 fork??? video says 26-34mm, 20-25% of 120mm would be 24-30mm, I guess in the same ballpark)
    • Adjust pressure to match recommended sag
    • Reset O-ring or tie and ride and measure again and repeat steps until sag matches recommendation
    • Screw back air valve covers on shock and fork

[SIZE="4"]ADJUST REBOUND & COMPRESSION[/SIZE]

• Adjust red REBOUND button on SHOCK (clockwise for slower, better at slower speed and bigger hits) my manual says 4-5 clicks from full slow on RED rebound knob.
    • Adjust red REBOUND button on FORK (clockwise for slower) expert says is better for fork to rebound faster than shock
    • Adjust blue COMPRESSION button on SHOCK (Triad settings are labelled: Lockout to close compression, ProPedal for slow speed compression, Open for least compression damping)
    • Adjust blue COMPRESSION button on FORK (clockwise for slower) video shows at bottom of fork; turn clockwise to full firm setting, then turn counter-clockwise 2-3 clicks (5-7 clicks for loose gravel or muddy terrain)
      (video shows blue button at bottom of fork, I have it at top and there are no clicks just smooth turning of about 270 degrees!)
    Last edited by rneagu; 12-15-2009 at 02:44 PM.