mtbr member

2010 Stumpjumper 29 reviews/impressions

I'm considering a 2010 Stumpjumper 29r. I was wondering how it compares with the ride experience of the 26r.

Has anyone had a chance to put significant miles on a 2010 Stumpjumper 29r? How do you like it?

I currently ride an '07 Specialized Enduro and my initial rides suggest that the new 29r is quite similar - though with a 29 inch wheel advantage.

mtbr member
    There's a huge thread in the 29er forum.

One of my riding buddies is picking his up tomorrow, so I should be able to compare it back-to-back with my Sultan. He also has an '09 Stumpy FSR 26, so it'll be interesting to see what he thinks, too.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

stumpjumper or stumpjumper fsr 29?

Since you currently have a Enduro I suspect you may be interested in the fsr 29.

There are a couple of forums on the 29er forum that cover this bike:

2010 Specialized SJ FSR 29

2010 SJ FSR 29er

I have had mine for about a month and my old bike was a 2005 Stumpjumper fsr expert 120. I have really enjoyed the new bike, After riding it for a month I would have a very hard time going back.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fallzboater
    There's a huge thread in the 29er forum.

One of my riding buddies is picking his up tomorrow, so I should be able to compare it back-to-back with my Sultan. He also has an '09 Stumpy FSR 26, so it'll be interesting to see what he thinks, too.
    I would like to know what you think about the 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    After a 4+ hour ride on my local dealer's test bike I found that I like the Stumpjumper 29r WAY more than my 3 year old Specialized Enduro. It also beat out a Pivot 429 that went along for the ride.

I just placed my order. :-)

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Asked this in a thread in the 29er forum, but thought I'd ask here as well...

I had a 26" SJ Expert a while back that I really liked, but wonder about the adjustability of the new brain for 2010.

How efficient is the pedalling when set on full firm? I know the brain on the SJ isn't designed to have that 'locked out' feeling like the Epic would, but wanted to know about efficiency under hard climbing efforts. Can you climb short steep rises hard out of the saddle without much bob when the brain is set to firm?

How many clicks out from full firm are you running the brain for trail rides?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I have mine set to one click from full firm.

I'm still playing with the settings. My thinking is to set it close to full firm and , then lower the pressure to get close to full travel. I weigh about 165 lbs My last run was at 125 lbs and I didn't get full travel so I'm going to try 120 lbs next time. I don't notice any bobbing when I pedal out of the saddle. I figure by having it close to full firm this should be minimal, and certainly less then what you would get with a propedal shock.
    TEX