Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004

2010 SJ vs Epic - SJ Brain Adjustment Range

Currently riding a FSR 29er with the Triad. I've also owned SJs with the brain in the past so I'm generally familiar with the way they ride. What I'm looking for is specific info on the range of adjustment of the 2010 SJ brain.

I know the Epic can be dialed to be very efficient for out of the saddle efforts. What I'm trying to find out is whether the 2010 SJ brain can be dialed to be as firm (or even nearly as firm) as the Epic brain.

With the SJ brain set to full firm are you able to climb hard out of the saddle without bob??

I'm only interested in feedback on the 2010 shock design.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Currently riding a FSR 29er with the Triad. I've also owned SJs with the brain in the past so I'm generally familiar with the way they ride. What I'm looking for is specific info on the range of adjustment of the 2010 SJ brain.

I know the Epic can be dialed to be very efficient for out of the saddle efforts. What I'm trying to find out is whether the 2010 SJ brain can be dialed to be as firm (or even nearly as firm) as the Epic brain.

With the SJ brain set to full firm are you able to climb hard out of the saddle without bob??

I'm only interested in feedback on the 2010 shock design.
    I saw your post in the 29".com comments as well, and I will say that I was told once that the Epic does go to a firmer setting then the FSR. But, I have not run the Brain on the Epic more aggressively then 4 clicks out from full firm and it is all I would ask for in platform action. I bet the FSR gets at least to that point and then some, but that is speculation.

I am sure someone will know for sure and post up. I hope to get on an FSR at some point, but I bet that it would be a hoot to ride, but still give ya a good uphill pedal.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have experience of both these bikes, and also just come off of an 08 Stumpy with brain, I own the 2010 Stumpy and have ridden several times my friends 09 Epic.

The Futureshock forks on the Epic and 2010 Stumpy are very very similar. The firm on the 2010 Stumpy are noticeably firmer than the 08 when set to full firm. They feel identical to the E100 on the EPIC. Adjustment is also very similar. You can dial to no pedal bob at all on both bikes, however you do lose some small bump compliance to achieve this.

The rears are more similar than ever, with the Epic just a fraction firmer in full firm. You can pedal out the saddle with very little or no bob on the Stumpy as well as the Epic.

This years Stumpy has the most efficient brains it has ever had, they return from compressed very quickly too. The brain adjustment is again very similar, both brains are externally the the same for 2010.