mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2010 SJ comp or elite?

I am looking at buying a 2010 stumpjumper. This will be my first full suspension mountainbike. I have been road biking for about a year and I am looking for something to mix it up a bit. I have been looking at the stumpjumpers and the 09 cannondale rize 3. I am wondering, is the $500 more for the talas fork on the elite really worth the extra over the float fork on the comp, especially for a new mountain rider. I don't want to be sorry I did not spend the extra a few months in but I was hoping to stay closer to the 2k mark. It's tough to tell a difference riding them all in a parking lot. The salesman said besides the height adjust, the talas should absorb bumps on the trail better. Also, is the height adjust a big bonus for climbing? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Same situation but in '07 for me. I got the elite. The talas is a better fork and if you look at retail on all the other upgrades it way over $500. I haven't looked at this years specs but what about the brakes, rear dr. cranks on my '07 they were well upgraded to over $1000 in parts. Which means you have less to upgrade as time goes on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroS
    Same situation but in '07 for me. I got the elite. The talas is a better fork and if you look at retail on all the other upgrades it way over $500. I haven't looked at this years specs but what about the brakes, rear dr. cranks on my '07 they were well upgraded to over $1000 in parts. Which means you have less to upgrade as time goes on.
    Exact same thing for me it was a no brainer for me though since i was only looking at a $200 difference at that time. I was browsing the '10 stumpy specs and looks like there's not a lot of difference between the comps and the elite other than the fork and sram dr's. Height adjustability on the talas has been very useful for me especially on steep climbs, being able to go down to 100mm from 140mm of travel. But you have the option to lock out on climbs on the float and as far as absorbing bumps, you have the rebound and air pressure to play with. It'll all come down to how much you really want to spend and if those spec difference is worth it for you. You can also wait for closeouts if you want to stay on the 2k range, like what I did.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Besides those mentioned above, the crank looks different also. The deore crankset is durable but weighs a ton and the SLX is very close to XT.

mtbr member
    I've been considering the same thing. Here's what I've come up with. Comp- $2200.00 msrp x9 rear der, x7 shifters, Float 130mm. Elite- $2800.00 msrp XTR rear der, SLX shifters, Talas 140mm. Everything else is equal. Buy Comp for $2200. Buy a Talas on closeout for about $600 and sell Float on ebay or CL. You should be able to get about $400 for Float. $2200 + $600 - $400 = $2400. For approximately $2400, you have a comp w/ Talas. You don't get XTR rd or SLX shifters, but for $400 savings you could get them.

mtbr member
    what kind of weight differences are we looking at between the models? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Not sure on the weight difference between sj comp and elite, if any. When I bought, the store put the sj comp on the scale and it was right at 27.75 with the cheapy pedals on it to test ride if my memory serves. I ended up with the sj 29er comp and it was 1.1 lbs more than the 26er.

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    I'm going through the same decision right now.... I don't think I would notice the difference in the forks being new riding. To complicate things even more, when I look at the 2800 for the elite then I start thinking about the Enduro Comp...
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

mtbr member
    sram shifting wont let you down in any condition. I've ridden both, work at a specialized dealer, the comp model is a great bike and if you're just getting into the mountain bike side it will be more than capable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    same for me also, i prefer the shimano over the sram but like the comp's black frame color . 2k-2.5 is crazy $ for a bike was looking to spend 1k-1.5

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE
    sram shifting wont let you down in any condition. I've ridden both, work at a specialized dealer, the comp model is a great bike and if you're just getting into the mountain bike side it will be more than capable.
    That's what I've been figuring, at my level the bike will be far more capable than I am for a while. I'm gonna grab the comp and spend the other money on a stronger wheelset for it.. I'm about 235lbs and I hear the stock wheels can be suspect.
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was in a similar position a few months back and nudged by my trusted LBS to go with the Comp. He prefers SRAM over Shimano in a big way. The fork might be an upgrade, I'm not sure... but I have been VERY happy with my comp. I also couldn't get over my drooling of the comp in white!

I used the money I saved to go towards a set of new wheels and don't regret my decision a bit. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

what the quan?!
    Just picked up a 2010 SJ Comp for my GF the other day. She LOVES it. This too, is her first full suspension ride. She's only been mountain biking for the past few months, on a 7 year old, 350 dollar Giant hardtail! It seemed kinda harsh when she sees me floatin' around on my new Yeti 575. I figured if she stuck with it on that beast of a 36LBS bike, then she is definitely serious about riding!

Anyhow, it came down between the Comp and the Elite- All in all, since she is fairly new rider, she was not able to tell the difference. At least not right now. Ideally, I just wanted to get her into something entry-levelish without breaking the bank. Initially she tried out a FSRXC; however, between that and the SJ Comp, she noted the difference immediately.