mtbr member

2010 S-Works with XO & XX Shifters

Ok - I'm a little upset and calling BS on Specialized. My $$$$ expensive S-Works Stumpjumper showed up with one XO shifter (front) and one XX shifter (rear). I questioned my LBS about it and the response they got back from Spesh was that since my bike has triple chainrings vs the double chainrings that's why my bike came with XO. Spesh is saying only the double chainring set ups are coming with XX front shifter.
    Please tell me how your bike came set up.
    Last edited by Martin6; 02-18-2010 at 08:10 AM.

The Other Dude
    Well considering that SRAM doesnt make a Triple XX front shifter, i think the X0 is your only option. They only offer the front shifter in the Double option for their front derailleur and crank setup.

What front derailleur came one the bike, the DMD XTR correct?

According the website, that is how the spec'ed the bike for the triple.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Mines 29
    XX Shifter - 1,2
    X0 Shifter - 1,2,3
    the Stumpy S-works is a 3x10.
    2008 Specialized Epic
    2010 Vassago Bandersnatch
    2009 Vassago FistiCuff
    2009 Vassago Jabberwocky
    www.BIGPIGRACING.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Well considering that SRAM doesnt make a Triple XX front shifter, i think the X0 is your only option. They only offer the front shifter in the Double option for their front derailleur and crank setup.

What front derailleur came one the bike, the DMD XTR correct?

According the website, that is how the spec'ed the bike for the triple.
    Yes, the front derailleur is the XTR. I now see that the website has been updated to indicate the shifter preferences. Can't say I saw that before. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin6
    Ok - I'm a little upset and calling BS on Specialized. My $$$$ expensive S-Works Stumpjumper showed up with one XO shifter (front) and one XX shifter (rear). I questioned my LBS about it and the response they got back from Spesh was that since my bike has triple chainrings vs the double chainrings that's why my bike came with XO. Spesh is saying only the double chainring set ups are coming with XX front shifter.
    Please tell me how your bike came set up so I can fight this out with Spesh to get my other XX shifter.
    Mine is the same XO/ Triple front, XX 11-36 rear (in addition, the saddle is not a Phenom SL but a Format SL) as opposed to what was on the website.

I just ordered an XX front shifter and front derailleur to go with the 28/42 Truvativ double that should be here any day.

Stay well,
    Paul
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Classic. You own 6 mountain bikes yet you don't know that there is no XX triple chainring front shifter. This can't be real.

Also, LOL at the bike shop having to call specialized to ask that question. Then again, thats typical of most of the specialized dealers in my area.

mtbr member
    Yes, pretty bad on my part for not knowing. First bike with SRAM for me. Funny that the bike magazine articles didn't make mention of it either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    XX = ten+ten = ten cogs+two rings = 20 gears = not a triple

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin6
    Yes, pretty bad on my part for not knowing. First bike with SRAM for me. Funny that the bike magazine articles didn't make mention of it either.
    bike mags are rubbish - Good job cycling isn't!

i purchased just the frame + fork on warranty & avoided Specialized's 30 speed sillines

some owners on the 2010 SW SJ FSR thread are converting theirs to 2x9 - perhaps it will be an option for the 2011 model?

............ edit for change of blah.............
    Last edited by culturesponge; 02-19-2010 at 09:27 AM.