mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2010 S-works Epic Warranty still ongoing

First off I really love my 2010 Epic but I am starting to lose faith in their customer services.
    -I did send my frame (2010 S-works Epic 26") back in September for them to inspect. A crack that was starting to develop where the for the seat post insert keyhole slot thing is.
    -3 Weeks ago Specialized send back a 2011 refurbished s-works Epic frame.
    - The rear triangle is from a black frame and the front triangle is from a white frame.
    - I don't care that the frame is chip already and that it is not new. But, I am not impress that I have to tell them about the following compatibility issues and missing parts.

-Compatibility issues / missing parts:

1 Missing Rear Fox/Specialized Suspension. 2010-2011 are different. Needs a 2011 187x47mm.
    2 Missing Specialized E100 FutureShock Medium. Said 2011 on the box but was actually a 2010 sent. Incompatible interface Fork-Frame: 2010 High Crown position Frame and 2011 Low Crown position. 2011 needs a 2011 e100 medium or a (USA)2012 custom Sid w-cup). See FSR Owner Manual page: 4.
    3 Crankset Specialized S-Works : 2010 is oversized BB shell 84.5mm and 2011 needs OSBB shell PF BB30 73x46mm. See FSR Owner Manual.
    4 Rear Roval Wheels needs two(2) DT-Swiss Rear 142mm axle and end cap conversion kit (HWYXXX0002877C). No need to replace complete rear wheels.
    5 Front Derailleur: 2010 uses S1 type and 2011 uses S3 type. FSR Owner Manual page:11 says Sram DMD FR derailleur: No adapter needed. Choose the derailleur based on the desired chain ring size. Epic uses S3 type. In this case, it would be S3-39.
    6 Missing S-works Seat post: 2010 uses 350mm and 2011 uses 400mm. since the 2011 frame is smaller it is recommended to use 400m to have the minimum insertion.
    7 Missing thru-axle bolt on frame.
    8 Missing chain guard on frame.
    9 Missing headset.

Note: 1-2-6-7-8-9 are usually included when you buy a frame or frameset from Specialized.

Let me know what you think? What else could be missing?
    Last edited by pseguin; 12-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Go faster!
    I've had a similar experience. Sure it was an inconvenience at the time, but eventually my shop was able to get me all the adapters and bits I needed to rebuild my wife's bike. As far as your situation goes, I can understand some compatibility issues between the frame and components but I'm blown away that the replacement frame sounds like its not a fully functional stand alone frame set (suspension, thru axle).

Has specialized been informed yet? I'm interested to hear what they have to say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wow, this sounds unacceptable to me! It makes me wonder if I'll be considering Specialized for my next bike. I'd hate to buy a bike and then the year later it has changed so much that it's no longer compatible. That is frightful from a warranty stand-point. I hope it works out for you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pseguin View Post
    -3 Weeks ago Specialized send back a 2011 refurbished s-works Epic frame.
    - The rear triangle is from a black frame and the front triangle is from a white frame.
    Just an FYI, but in 2011 the S-works Epic paint scheme was a white frame with a black rear triangle...it's not like they mixed and matched the parts before sending it back to you.

And for what it's worth, I have a friend who's a pro and is a mechanic at a bike shop and when he had to warranty his Trek Superfly HT, they only thing they had to send him was a FS - he had to buy the parts to make it work. I'm not saying it's right, but it seems at least one other bike maker does the same thing. I can see both sides of it - they did give you a new frame like promised - you just have to make some modifications/buy new parts to get your old components to work. They weren't warranting the components, just the frame and I think that's where they obligation stops. From a consumer perspective it sucks and I'd hate to be in that boat 2 or 3 years down the road with my current Epic.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So, they should send the shock and fork to make it work. Also, the Thru axle for the rear end should have come with the frame. The rest of the stuff is really up to you. When you get a warranty frame, they aren't expected to send you things like a front der or a different seat post. Same thing with the wheel endcaps. Technology moves on, you have a newer generation frame. But, I understand your frustration.

I'm sure they will come through with the fork and shock though (and should give you a headset).

The seatpost you have might very well be fine to use. Have you tried setting your seat height and seeing ifyou have enough post in the frame?

If you have Sworks cranks from your old frame, they will fork on the new one just fine. You just need the BB. You can either get the Specialized one for the frame you have now, or just install a PF30 BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yesterday as we 29er hardtailers did some laps on the local trail we encoutered not one but two Epic owners in the parking lot. They were not riding their bikes.

They were talking about brains/shocks etc. and about "the problem is that the only people who can fix this is"........

Shop bikes help you form a strong relationship with mechanics. Some people really enjoy these relationships.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi All,
    I would like to thank all of you who took the time to post their views.
    Here an update:
    -Specialized was not able to locate a 26er Shock (e100 or Sid WC) with the low crown position.
    Specialized is coming thru for me with an Epic S-works 29er.
    They are lending me a Regular Sid fork until they receive a SID 29 WC.
    I have propose to pay for the Front xx s3 derailleur.
    I am paying a little extra to upgrade to the control SL 29er.

Once everything comes in I will be really happy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ttusomeone: The original bike in question here was a 26er. Your linking to a 29er..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Glad to hear they are working it out. Specialized always seems to pull through. Welcome to the world of big wheels