likes beer.

2010 Rockhopper help...

Hey all,

The little lady is in the process of picking up a Specialized Rockhopper Comp. We tried out one this weekend (an 09) and she loved it but was trying to find on in the yellow verision.

She's called around to a number of local shops and looks like most can only order 2010s at this point. One shop said the 2 colors offered for the comp are:

1 Navy/Grey
    2 Black/Brown

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed what the 2010 Rockhopper Comp will be coming in? Even better does anyone have any pics of the 2010s?

Might just end up with the Charcoal 2009 if all else fails.

Thanks for the help!

-Ryan

PS - Any major changes (fork, geo, etc) from 09 to 10?

cougarbait
    I think, but not 100% sure, that it is better to get an 09, since the spec is supposedly worse on most 2010 models. Also, the charcoal 09 looks great with red rims. (I love my charcoal). Also, you can probably get a better deal getting an 09.

here is a picture of a 2010 comp disc:

it is black brown, so looks like the shop was right.
    also, looking at the image, I can't detect any downgrades, but you can never be sure without looking at the spec sheet.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

likes beer.
    Yeah, so far the shop with the charcoal 09 is asking the same price for as other shops willing to order a 2010.....plus the shop with the 09 is a bit of a hike (no chance of being able to go there for free tuneups on a regular basis).

If we can work down the shop with the 09 that'd be great but regardless thanks for the pic. Hopefully the spec sheet is similar.

cougarbait
    try other bike shops too if you can.

here's a pic of mine (got a Recon Race coming =] )
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

likes beer.
    Ohhh that is bad ass.

Yeah a few shops around have the charcoal 09, which I think ultimately we will end up with. GF just didn't want a black/dark grey bike since it would be too matchy matchy with my flat black F5 lol

likes beer.
    Okkkkkkkkkkkkk so my LBS just called and can get a 2010 for cheaper than were we found that 09.

Pros:
    - Buying from our LBS around the corner
    - Cheaper

Cons:
    - Dunno the spec differences (they aren't a Specialized dealer so he can't look em up)
    - Haven't seen the blue/gray

Can anyone help us out with the cons?

Spec differences 2010 Comp vs. 2009 Comp would be awesome!
    Picture of the navy/gray would be awesomer!!!

-Ryan

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by City Goat
    Okkkkkkkkkkkkk so my LBS just called and can get a 2010 for cheaper than were we found that 09.

Pros:
    - Buying from our LBS around the corner
    - Cheaper

Cons:
    - Dunno the spec differences (they aren't a Specialized dealer so he can't look em up)
    - Haven't seen the blue/gray

Can anyone help us out with the cons?

Spec differences 2010 Comp vs. 2009 Comp would be awesome!
    Picture of the navy/gray would be awesomer!!!

-Ryan
    2010 will have a redesigned frame from what i hear.(better resale Value)

likes beer.
    Bump for solid info and specs/pics?

likes beer.

Anyone?

likes beer.
    Sure is lonely in here wondering about the 2010 Rockhopper Comp fork...

hint, hint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Suprised you can't find yellow, still some in stores around Toronto. My son chose that colour, had to drive 1.5 hours to get it and now gets the cold shoulder from LBS down the street but hey-its the colour bike he wanted.

Posted a pic last night in this thread: Lets see those Rockhoppers. Pics and Upgrades

likes beer.
    Yeah, no luck with the yellow by us......really just looking for 2010 specs right now.

banned
    Mar 2004
    Hope this helps. But I'm curious...if you're buying a 2010 from a LBS, how can they not be a Specialized dealer and look up the specs on the B2B site?
    FRAME Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, ORE DT, externally relieved HT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only
    REAR SHOCK
    FORK RockShox Dart 3 SL, 80/100mm, 1 piece magnesium lower, alloy steerer, adj. reb. damping w/ LO and preload adj., size-specific spring rates, disc only
    HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 7 degree up sweep
    GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    FRONT BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR BRAKE Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid FR-5, alloy, two-finger linear pull
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-5, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X4-R trigger
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN KMC X8 w/ reuseable Missing Link
    CRANKSET SR SunTour, Octalink spline
    CHAINRINGS 42S x 32S x 22S replaceable
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    PEDALS Steel cage, composite body, 9/16"
    RIMS Alex RHD 26", pinned, alloy double wall, eyelets, 28h front and 32h rear
    FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, 32h
    REAR HUB Forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, cassette, 32h
    SPOKES 2mm (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TIRE Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    INNER TUBES Schraeder valve
    SADDLE Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    SEATPOST Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT BINDER Forged alloy QR, brass washer
    NOTES Chain stay protector, reflectors, clear coat, owners manual

likes beer.
    You rock.

Dunno the specifics (calling in a favor or something?) but I do know they are going to be a Specialized dealer in the fall...maybe this is part of it. Not really concerned, they are an awesome shop and we'd rather get through them regardless of how it ends up in their hands lol

cougarbait
    they downgraded the crank
    (ewww suntour)
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2010 Rockhopper

After doing some research comparisons between the Specialized, Treks, Giants, haros, and cannondale, I contacted all LBS within in driving range and ended up finding me the 2010 satin blue/black Rockhopper comp disk. I got it on hold waiting for me to pickup today or tomorrow. as my name says, i'm a rookie to the mb. I know i wanted and can only afford a hardtail, wanted something light and cool looking. Plan to use it for some trail riding in Tahoe and what ever else local, plus on the way to the gym i go to instead of driving. The guy pulled the RH out and i was in awe, it looked sweet over the black/brown version. If anyone can tell why not to get this 2010 Rockhopper comp disk and get something else, let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Rockhopper Comp 2010 - Picked it up

got a chance to pick it up, got bike from a ride around town. I'm pretty impressed and happy with my purchase. Little more than planned on spending, but i'll make it worth it. I'll post pics shortly.

BLC
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not exactly sure how the imaging works, tried to add a picture of my navy 2010 rockhopper comp. Runs pretty good, I keep slipping off the grips so I'm looking to replace them now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How many blues are these coming in? By all means post pics. Getting a new bike is a wonderful thing. Nothing like the new bike smell

likes beer.
    FYI...we ordered the bike last week, just waiting for it to come in.

i'll be sure to post up pics once she gets it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Oh okay..cool! It's wayyy too hot to read or think in this room. 90 degrees with a humidity level of a bucket of water. Good luck with the bike! Don't pace too much I know I'll pace a hole to China when I order one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think I'm also gonna bite the bullet on the 2009 model and return my Forge. There's a yellow one in my LBS. It isn't really the yellow that is pictured in Specialized website. It's got a bit of green hit to it. I'm really interested in the charcoal black one but it's the only one hes got left.

likes beer.
    FYI, we picked up the bike last week. Sorry for not posting up pictures or a review yet.

So far just been riding it on the street and the lady has been getting used to mountain bike basics but we are both huge fans of it.

The bike comes with some pretty shittastic tires but other than that there's some great components on there for the price imo. We're going camping this weekend and will bring both bikes so some pics will be coming sooner than later.

The blue/gray is pretty cool too.

cougarbait
    yeah the fast trak LK's are better on the road than off haha.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    yeah the fast trak LK's are better on the road than off haha.
    How do you like your Forge over your Rockhopper?

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    How do you like your Forge over your Rockhopper?
    I've never had a forge before

two spesh, one sett'e, one mongoose, one pacific
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've never had a forge before
    I was just about to edit my question asking if you had a Forge. Slow internet. Fast response by the way. How do you like your rockhopper? I was thinking of upgrading mine to 27 speed with x7 shifters. You're right about the tires. I notice the Forge, although still cheaper works better on dirt and grass.

cougarbait
    I was just about to edit my question asking if you had a Forge. Slow internet. Fast response by the way. How do you like your rockhopper? I was thinking of upgrading mine to 27 speed with x7 shifters. You're right about the tires. I notice the Forge, although still cheaper works better on dirt and grass.
    I love my rockhopper. the frame is identical to the 07 stumpy, spesh's flagship hardtail, and I've swapped out literally every part. I don't think I would love it as much if I didn't have a FS to compliment it though. ying and yang almost.
    putting her on a diet, just got a lightweight seatpost/saddle combo.

I have 2.1 resolution sports on it right now (they were cheap)... I want to switch to 2bliss control captains and go tubeless.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That color rocks! Mine is the yellow/ greenish one. It was $50 cheaper than the charcoal so I just took it. I take it you mainly off road? It's a bit slow on road I noticed. I do a lot of on road riding with my friends, that's why I'd like to upgrade to 27 speed.

cougarbait
    That color rocks! Mine is the yellow/ greenish one. It was $50 cheaper than the charcoal so I just took it. I take it you mainly off road? It's a bit slow on road I noticed. I do a lot of on road riding with my friends, that's why I'd like to upgrade to 27 speed.
    thanks, yeah I like it too. I originally chose charcoal because it seemed liek it would be less noticeable to potential thieves. I am glad I picked it though. yeah, I ride this on trails. A great upgrade for riding on pavement is some slick/semi-slick tires. makes a big difference. also, if you're upgrading to a 9speed, get a pg980 instead of pg990/pg970. it's only 5g heavier than pg990 and it's not much more expensive than a pg970. I have geax evo II tires I use for the street.

they are bulletproof, roll and handle well on pavement, but heavy at 800g per tire.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks, yeah I like it too. I originally chose charcoal because it seemed liek it would be less noticeable to potential thieves. I am glad I picked it though. yeah, I ride this on trails. A great upgrade for riding on pavement is some slick/semi-slick tires. makes a big difference. also, if you're upgrading to a 9speed, get a pg980 instead of pg990/pg970. it's only 5g heavier than pg990 and it's not much more expensive than a pg970. I have geax evo II tires I use for the street.

they are bulletproof, roll and handle well on pavement, but heavy at 800g per tire.
    Thanks for the tip. I purchased a PG980 11-34T with 991 chain. Just waiting for my x.9 shifters so I can install everything. I may upgrade my x5 derailleurs later on. Spending a bit too much already. I'm still looking for a good deal on the Geax Evo II tires though that you recommend. Does tire weight really matter for street riding?

cougarbait
    Thanks for the tip. I purchased a PG980 11-34T with 991 chain. Just waiting for my x.9 shifters so I can install everything. I may upgrade my x5 derailleurs later on. Spending a bit too much already. I'm still looking for a good deal on the Geax Evo II tires though that you recommend. Does tire weight really matter for street riding?
    it matters to some degree, but in my opinion, it's not as big of a deal. They work just fine for me.
    I bought mine here:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...tion+Tire.aspx
    currently out of stock though. also, the picture shows a evo I, but they will ship you the evo II.
    they are available here:
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/544_333...Bead-Tire.html
    reputable store... I bought a fork from them

I strongly recommend upgrading to an X.9 rear der. Most of the shifting happiness comes from the derailleur. They are pretty affordable too, at $60.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...lleur-2008.htm
    I nearly jizzed my pants when I first tried out my X.9
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Nice RH, Lamda. What year is it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    it matters to some degree, but in my opinion, it's not as big of a deal. They work just fine for me.
    I bought mine here:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...tion+Tire.aspx
    currently out of stock though. also, the picture shows a evo I, but they will ship you the evo II.
    they are available here:
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/544_333...Bead-Tire.html
    reputable store... I bought a fork from them

I strongly recommend upgrading to an X.9 rear der. Most of the shifting happiness comes from the derailleur. They are pretty affordable too, at $60.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...lleur-2008.htm
    I nearly jizzed my pants when I first tried out my X.9
    Wow that's a great deal on X.9 RD. Why'd you have to show that to me. I'm gonna see if my LBS can beat that deal. What do you think of WTB Nano Raptor tires. I've been reading good reviews on them. I'm thinking bout getting those instead since my LBS can get them by this weekend.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    Nice RH, Lamda. What year is it?
    it's an 09... I think I'm finally done with it now

Wow that's a great deal on X.9 RD. Why'd you have to show that to me. I'm gonna see if my LBS can beat that deal. What do you think of WTB Nano Raptor tires. I've been reading good reviews on them. I'm thinking bout getting those instead since my LBS can get them by this weekend.
    get the X.9 ...you won't regret it

Never tried WTB tires... try the mtbr reviews
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    May 2009

Any idea how heavy the stock Specialized tires were? I've been eyeing the Geax tires, but have been hesitant because I'm not sure when I will ever hit the trails...

cougarbait
    fast trak LK sport tires are ~745grams a piece... a bit on the heavy side as well.
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...es26_2&eid=355

you likely won't notice a difference in weight switching from fast traks LK sports.

also, the weight of the geax evo is put to good use... I ride over glass, nails... never had a single flat ever.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Members who have read this thread: 0