mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2010 RH 29er vs 2011 RH 29er

My LBS has a floor model 2010 RH 29er in my size, 15 inch for $710 plus tax. I rode it and loved it but the back brake rotor look a bit worn to me--had black marks. Plus the disk brakes are mechanical.

For 2011 the RH 29er comp, base model, has HYD disk brakes and a 15.5 frame but cost $940 plus tax.

I was looking on ebay and a set of Juicy 3 brakes are around $150, looks like everything you need to swap over. If I want to get those brakes on a 2011 RH 29er I have to get the Pro model for $1,400--ouch, that is too much for me.

But I am a newbie and not sure what is the best deal. I am very mechanical incline and love working on my old hot rod car--can do just about everything expect rebuild my trans--and maybe could if I had the right tools for the job.

So I am thinking of buying a bike and upgrading the parts as stuff wears out but unsure what bike to buy. A 2010 floor model, a 2011 Comp 29er or save my dollars and just get the Pro 2011 29er for $1,400

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The 2010 has:

FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp

REAR DERAILLEUR
    SRAM X-5, mid cage

SHIFT LEVERS
    SRAM X4-R trigger

CASSETTE
    SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t

CHAIN
    KMC X8 w/ reuseable Missing Link

CRANKSET
    SR SunTour, Octalink spline

FORK
    RockShox Dart 3 SL for 29" wheel

THE 2011 Has:

FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Alivo, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull

REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Alivio, 9sp direct mount Long cage

SHIFT LEVERS
    Shimano Alivo SL, rapid fire trigger

CASSETTE
    Shimano HG30, 9-speed, 11-34t

CHAIN
    KMC X9 w/ reusable Missing Link

CRANKSET
    Shimano FC-M430-8, Octalink spline

FORK
    SR Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-29-LO-SP

Brakes I'm not worrying about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Looks like my question has already been ask, I would delete this post but can not, sorry.

Specialized Rockhopper 29er

Specialized Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Buy as much bike as you can afford! It's hard to beat the buying power of a big company like Specialized. They can buy component groups MUCH cheaper than you can. I have an '08 Spec RH Disc 29. I bought it new and didn't want to spend a lot. Well I really enjoy riding and have logged over 2000 miles. I have also changed out the drive train and shifters for XT parts, Reba fork, wheels, saddle, etc. I shopped carefully and got great deals on new and/or barely used parts, but it took a while. Looking back, I really should have spent more on the initial purchase! It probably would have been cheaper, and I could have enjoyed the quality of the upgraded parts from the start. P.S. - You will HATE climbing with the 8 speed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah I noticed the 2011 has a 9 speed. Only thing is the Expert and Pro models seem to have a slightly different frame and then if I cough up the $1,200 for the Expert vs the $940 Comp, well for $1,400 I get the Pro with lighter rims and lighter crank. The brakes and forks keep getting better also as you move up in the models.

So I'm stuck trying to decide what to buy---I can do the $1,400 but then I be broke like and just have a super bike to ride. Goodbye night life, lol

Maybe this hobby is out of my budget for right now (sad face)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylor
    Yeah I noticed the 2011 has a 9 speed. Only thing is the Expert and Pro models seem to have a slightly different frame and then if I cough up the $1,200 for the Expert vs the $940 Comp, well for $1,400 I get the Pro with lighter rims and lighter crank. The brakes and forks keep getting better also as you move up in the models.

So I'm stuck trying to decide what to buy---I can do the $1,400 but then I be broke like and just have a super bike to ride. Goodbye night life, lol

Maybe this hobby is out of my budget for right now (sad face)
    Its like a bad disease (or is that good desease) that keeps spreading. I think its wiser to do what propguy said and get the best bike you want from the start. I am dealing with the same issues and way more over budget than I would have ever thought. If you really like riding and or you have been ridng for a while don't you think its time to get a realy good bike. You deserve it!