mtbr member
    Feb 2009

2010 FSR Stumpjumper Comp

At first I was going to buy a Santa Cruz BLT2, but found a local buy where the bike was on the floor. I bought this bike. So far it has been a great bike to ride,but have had several issues that are starting to wear on me.

The main issue I have had is how often I break the rear wheel spokes. I was told befor eI bought it that I would have this problem form someone who owns the XC, but thought that he may have had a defective real wheel. Well it appears that is is true. So far I have replaced about 15 spokes. Some were nipple breaks and some were spoke breaks. I want the wheel replaced actually because I have never had this issue riding the same trails here on different bikes. If fact I road a hardtail for 3 years and haven't broken a spoke yet. I do ride harder now, but better and smoother. I also went to different bike stores and was told by a few that they know about this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think Specialized has fixed this problem and does anyone think they will replace the back wheel?

The second problem I just found out was that the shock is now defective and leaking oil out where you would switch to pro pedal. Worked fine one its last ride but failed later when I was cleaning the bike. The shock is sent off to Fox but this still is very disappointing as I don't have a rde until whenever and I ride a lot.

I assume this is just a bad part, but has anyone experienced this problem?

Edit: I forgot another issue that is bugging the **** out of me. After cleaning the bike thoroughly ( I think a couple months in ) I found tha the rear derailer cable routed under the bottom bracket had been wearing into the BB casing. In fact, it ate away maybe 1/2mm. When I found the shock leaking ( another deep clean this Saturday ) I found the same damn cable had eaten into the chainstay roughly the same depth. Wth is up with that. It appears you have to really look over the bike for any possible issue like this. I did go to a couple LBS and let them know to watch out for this. The solution is to slack it a bit under the BB and chainstay. It would also be a good idea to wrap the cable in some sort of rubber.

Now I need to know if anyone thinks this wear will cause cracking later? I mean each is worn in about 1/2 mm.
    Last edited by stickybuns; 09-28-2010 at 05:31 PM.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    I have a 2010 Stumpy Comp and haven't run in to any of those issues (I even went out to my garage an checked about the cable situation) Im interested to see if anyone else has these problems and if so, what Spesh does to fix it.
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Wheel problem sounds like a POS wheel and if you've broken 15 spokes, then they should have replaced or at least re-laced that wheel by now. The shop is doing you a disservice if they haven't done one of those two for you. When you break a spoke it stresses the rest of the spokes and, depending on the circumstances that caused the break, it's likely that you'll suffer more breaks in those overly stressed spokes.

Next time you have break one have the shop replace all spokes and re-lace the wheel. Check the hub flange and spoke holes for rough burrs that might be damaging a spoke head. Should solve the breakage problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a 2010 Stumpy Comp as well and have not run into any of those issue.

FKA Malibu412
    Re: Wheel/broken spokes -- Specialized should warranty the wheel. Get your shop to got to bat for you.

Re: Shock -- crappy deal waiting for the rebuild but it is getting done. Had a 2010 Expert Brain leaking air cylinder lube and they replaced it under their warranty.

Re: Housing wearing into frame -- My 2010 Expert had a couple spots that became evident after a couple rides. You have to reroute and cover the frame where necessary. Keep an eye on things but cracking probably won't occur. Perhaps some of what it wore through is paint depth?
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Bike Addiction
    Starting breaking spokes on 09 FSR XC Comp (Alex rims) at nipples. After 3rd or 4th break I did a little research on here and read that it could be loose spokes. Checked them and they were very loose compared to my DT's. I ended up making 2 rounds tightening to get them to feel similar to DT's. Have not broke another in 3 months. LBS never mentioned warranty but I never thought to ask either.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Re: Wheel/broken spokes -- Specialized should warranty the wheel. Get your shop to got to bat for you.

Re: Shock -- crappy deal waiting for the rebuild but it is getting done. Had a 2010 Expert Brain leaking air cylinder lube and they replaced it under their warranty.

Re: Housing wearing into frame -- My 2010 Expert had a couple spots that became evident after a couple rides. You have to reroute and cover the frame where necessary. Keep an eye on things but cracking probably won't occur. Perhaps some of what it wore through is paint depth?
    I expressed my concern with the LBS regarding the wheel/spoke issue and they did offer to speak with Specialized, but they also wanted me to drop my bike off which I did not want to do. I would expect that they call Specialized to determine their position and then simply take the wheel which I would agree to. But I did not want to be without my bike for 2 weeks.

It wore through the paint and then "maybe" 1/2mm. Of course I cannot measure it but it is way more than I would like.

The shock I can chalk up to a defective part but in this context with the other problems, it was more than annoying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR Comp with only 10 rides on the bike and I have the same problem with my shock. Last ride shock was fine, 2 weeks later I got it out for a ride and it was stuck in lockout position with oil leaking from the top of the shock. I talked to my LBS and was told they see this often when the shock has been left in lock position for a while. I talk to Fox and was told it was probably a bad o-ring and to send it in for repairs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well an interesting day today sorting through the whole shock replacement/repair process with FOX and Specialized and remembering why I hate customized parts by these top tier manufacturers.

1. Specialized is the only one who would have a replacement shock because the shocks are proprietary and they don't have any available to ship. This sucks.
    2. You cannot have a replacement shock shipped because FOX and Specialized say they do not have them so we have to wait for a repair. This sucks.
    3. I cannot buy a replacement shock for a spare. This sucks.
    4. Who knows how long we are guaranteed that replacement parts and/ or shocks will be available. If in 3 years FOX decides not to make the proprietary parts because Specialized has stopped using that particular design, then the bike is useless. Specialized rep does not know how long we can get parts.

Proprietary parts hurts the consumer period and I will never buy a bike that uses them ever again. The risk is simply not worth the reward.

As aside note and something I did not mention, is that I need a replacement rim only. This cannot be found. In fact, I cannot even buy a exact wheel. Another proprietary design where the end users is screwed.

FKA Malibu412
    @ S-Buns: welcome to Speshy World! The proprietary design is a pain for repairs and/or replacement. I had to literally sit in my LBS while they were on the phone with the aforementioned brand reps and at first, a new Brain shock was not available...none in stock for warranty replacement. It must have been awkward and I probably made some folks uncomfortable because before I left, loe-and-behold, they scrounged up a new Brain and had it packaged and ready to ship. Works great now.

The oem wheels are one of the ways S keeps the prices down/makes a profit on these bikes. They're cheap and a good aftermarket or custom set is the best way to go for replacement.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Okey Dokey.

More oddness with Specialized. SInce my bike will be in the shop for a while ( 1.5 weeks so far and no information or time frame given yet), I decide that I would ask about the back wheel. The LBS contacted a Specialized rep, who agreed to warranty the back wheel. I am happy about this, however, I was told that they do not have replacement rims. They don't have replacement rims for a 2010 stumpjumper and it is still 2010. The replacement rim will be a mavic 117 and I am not sure that rim is the same quality as the stock 420. It bugs me that they don't have a replacement rim and want to mix and match the wheels, they are replacing it with the lowest quality mavic rim, and I am not really sure about whether they should replace the whole wheel or not. Or course, some of the frustration is that I cannot find a comparison of these two rims. Since I taco'd the front somewhat, I asked that they order an additional 117 for the front and I will pay for it.

Is the mavic 117 the same quality as a stock 420? I found it hard to search for this comparison but I don't like using the lowest quality rim mavic makes.

Thoughts?

I also think this thread brings up important issues regarding proprietary parts and Specialized in general and I am surprised this is not discussed more. Literally, we are at the mercy of Specialized and how they decide to support the parts they use. As far as the shock goes, we cannot buy a replacement or secondary one for cases where your bike is out of commission for weeks waiting on rebuilds. I would gladly purchase a spare. Actually, I would insist they send that one as a replacement. I also think that discussing it would bring attention to how proprietary parts may not be a good choice for manufacturers and consumers in general.

I have read that Specialize saves money going the proprietary route, but that really does not makes any sense on the surface anyway. How does Specialized save money by using these parts? Fox, DT swiss, etc... have to redesign, retool and possibly build an additional facility just to produce far fewer parts. The only way Specialized saves money would be to cut corners or use cheaper components IMHO. I just don't see it and I would happily pay more for commodity parts I could replace or purchase at will.

Can a mod change the title to something more in-line with what I am trying to do here it appears? Something like "Specialized ( Proprietary parts are crappy for the consumer )" will do nicely.
    Last edited by stickybuns; 10-07-2010 at 06:16 PM.