Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    c'est la vie

2010 Epic Recall

LBS said certain 2010 Epics are being recalled by Specialized due to stays cracking.

This issue is said to be holding up delivery of new models.

Can someone else confirm this news?
    "If I should die darling in your arms, what a lovely way to go..." Don Felder -All of You

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So is that why I am still waiting?

mtbr member
    I heard this from my LBS today as well.

What they told me was that there have been some failures of the small tab that the "brain" mounts to.

I believe it only affects the aluminum 26" wheeled bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So the S-Works are not recalled?

FReak
    Is it only holding up epics?
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

mtbr member
    I heard that about the 29er SJ FSRs, too. Improper weld treatment on one of the rear stays.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well Epic Marathon wait

my Epic Marathon reached the store at the end of October and I was due to collect it tomorrow, Nov 7th, and have BG fit but store rang saying they are not allowed to release it .
    So far they can tell me nothing about timescale to sort this.
    ....... frustrating !!
    Mutly, UK

mtbr member
    Very strange. Did they mention it was part of this recall?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ordered the Epic Marathon frame a month or so ago and haven't heard anything. When I placed the order they told me early November. I will have to give them a call and see what they say. Oh well.

mtbr member
    My epic comp 29 is IN.
    size medium and LBS says recall doesn't affect the 29-er comp.
    I will pick it up tomorrow.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Anyone know the real reason for a recall? Doesn't make sense for the marathon to be affected and the comp not to be since they use the same frame and shock.

Ready for my XL Epic Comp to show up!

Fat Biker
    Q:
    What, exactly, is the problem?
    A:
    In eight cases that we know of to date, the mounting bracket for the Brain reservoirs have cracked where it is welded to the seatstay.

Q:
    What models are affected?
    A:
    2010 Epic Marathon Carbon, 2010 Epic Marathon Frame, 2010 Epic Marathon Expert, 2010 Epic Expert, 2010 Epic Comp Carbon, 2010 Epic Comp, 2010 Era FSR Expert Carbon, 2010 Era FSR Expert and 2010 Era FSR Comp.

Q:
    Why is the 2010 model year affected and not 2009, they look identical?
    A:
    For 2010, the Brain mounting tab was moved closer to the rear axle, and there was a design modification to the mounting tab. This design modification resulted in less material at a stressed point.

Q:
    Has anybody been hurt?
    A:
    Not to our knowledge. However, the potential does exist, which is why we issued this Stop Sale notice.

Q:
    What should I do if my customer calls me about this issue?
    A:
    You should advise them to immediately discontinue riding the bicycle. We are currently in communication with the CPSC and will have a solution for you to pass along to your customers in short order. We will let you know more as soon as we hear from the CPSC.

Q:
    How many of these incidents have there been?
    A:
    We are aware of eight.

Q:
    Is this a recall?
    A:
    This is not a recall at this moment. However, we are in contact with the CPSC and will follow all of their requests and protocols. We will keep you apprised as we get direction from the CPSC.

Q:
    What should I do with the affected bikes I have in inventory?
    A:
    Firstly, do not sell any of the affected models that you have in stock. Secondly, we will provide you with replacement parts as soon as they are available, so that you can rework the affected bikes you have in stock. Our belief at this time is that replacement parts will be available in November.

Q:
    Will you provide me with a service credit to replace the seatstays of the affected bikes I need to rework?
    A:
    Yes, absolutely. We are calculating the time required to do this rework. We are also in contact with a cross-section of dealers and soliciting their opinions of a reasonable credit. Based on the time required and the feedback of the dealers we have contacted, we will determine an appropriate amount that will be credited per bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoracerX
    Q:
    What, exactly, is the problem?
    A:
    In eight cases that we know of to date, the mounting bracket for the Brain reservoirs have cracked where it is welded to the seatstay.

Q:
    What models are affected?
    A:
    2010 Epic Marathon Carbon, 2010 Epic Marathon Frame, 2010 Epic Marathon Expert, 2010 Epic Expert, 2010 Epic Comp Carbon, 2010 Epic Comp, 2010 Era FSR Expert Carbon, 2010 Era FSR Expert and 2010 Era FSR Comp.

Q:
    Why is the 2010 model year affected and not 2009, they look identical?
    A:
    For 2010, the Brain mounting tab was moved closer to the rear axle, and there was a design modification to the mounting tab. This design modification resulted in less material at a stressed point.

Q:
    Has anybody been hurt?
    A:
    Not to our knowledge. However, the potential does exist, which is why we issued this Stop Sale notice.

Q:
    What should I do if my customer calls me about this issue?
    A:
    You should advise them to immediately discontinue riding the bicycle. We are currently in communication with the CPSC and will have a solution for you to pass along to your customers in short order. We will let you know more as soon as we hear from the CPSC.

Q:
    How many of these incidents have there been?
    A:
    We are aware of eight.

Q:
    Is this a recall?
    A:
    This is not a recall at this moment. However, we are in contact with the CPSC and will follow all of their requests and protocols. We will keep you apprised as we get direction from the CPSC.

Q:
    What should I do with the affected bikes I have in inventory?
    A:
    Firstly, do not sell any of the affected models that you have in stock. Secondly, we will provide you with replacement parts as soon as they are available, so that you can rework the affected bikes you have in stock. Our belief at this time is that replacement parts will be available in November.

Q:
    Will you provide me with a service credit to replace the seatstays of the affected bikes I need to rework?
    A:
    Yes, absolutely. We are calculating the time required to do this rework. We are also in contact with a cross-section of dealers and soliciting their opinions of a reasonable credit. Based on the time required and the feedback of the dealers we have contacted, we will determine an appropriate amount that will be credited per bike.

Where did this come from and what is the date of this?? And, how come the 2010 Epic Marathon Carbon is listed and not the 2010 Epic Expert Carbon when they have the exact same frames??

FACT 9m carbon front triangle, IS construction, M5 aluminum rear triangle. sealed cartridge bearing pivots, 100mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger

Buehler??
    2010 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
    2008 SL2
    2005 S-Works E5
    and the patience of a 2 yr old.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My LBS told me it was any Epic that WAS NOT S-works that was affected by this brain mount tab issue. Just my 2 cents...

Hope they get it fixed, sucks.

Fat Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCake
    Where did this come from and what is the date of this?? And, how come the 2010 Epic Marathon Carbon is listed and not the 2010 Epic Expert Carbon when they have the exact same frames??

FACT 9m carbon front triangle, IS construction, M5 aluminum rear triangle. sealed cartridge bearing pivots, 100mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger

Buehler??
    Stop sale involves all 2010 Epics with alloy seatstays.
    This came off the Specialized dealer website.
    2010 Epic Recall-affected-models.gif
    Last edited by wyoracerX; 11-07-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: update

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Any mention of the 29ers? I know they use different stays than the 26ers, but they are alloy.

Hate that it's causing a delay in getting the bikes out, but better to take care of it now than have to ship the thing back after riding it for a couple months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Any mention of the 29ers? I know they use different stays than the 26ers, but they are alloy.

Hate that it's causing a delay in getting the bikes out, but better to take care of it now than have to ship the thing back after riding it for a couple months.
    I picked up my medium size 29 comp yesterday and unless the shop mis-read the recall, I'm thinking I'm good to ride it. I posted a couple of pics in the Specialized bikes photo thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Epic Recall-brain.jpg  

Last edited by thatdrewguy; 11-08-2009 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    My LBS said it's not an issue the 29ers when I talked to them last week. Different stays as you pointed out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Hold up

Yes, Goneskiian, my Epic Marthon Carbon is held due this Stop Notice on its alluminium rear triangle.
    In truth the shop are trying to handle this as apologetically, and as sensitively, as they can - I have no wish to criticise them.
    I was able to see the bike on Saturday, Nov 7th. The brain mount tab weld looks to be designed as substantial where it attaches to the offside chainstay, and there is no obvious fault on the weld on my example. I can only speculate that the 'design fault' is nothing to do with the beefyness of the weld. Unless the weld is actually faulty I can't imagine the tab falling off 8 bikes due to the 'design'. On the other hand, the photographs show the tab features an elongated slot for the brain's bolt to attach through, rather than a simple circular hole. I presume this allows for some adjustment in its placing, fore and aft. I know of no reason why it should be designed for this level of positional adjustment - does anybody know why? Is it just to suit several model variants with the same tab?
    Perhaps it is the tab's elongated hole feature that has created a mounting weakness??? It would certainly be easier for the brain to twist if knocked - and if it twists it could potentially go in the spokes and trigger a catastrophic failure. - Perhaps this peels the tab in two like a sacrificial mech hanger peels apart.
    Apparently it is hoped that fresh trangles will arrive late November - ish. I have been told they will come 'from the USA', which puzzled me - the frame has 'Made in Taiwan' stickers.
    ???

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutly
    ......On the other hand, the photographs show the tab features an elongated slot for the brain's bolt to attach through, rather than a simple circular hole. I presume this allows for some adjustment in its placing, fore and aft. I know of no reason why it should be designed for this level of positional adjustment - does anybody know why? Is it just to suit several model variants with the same tab?
    My wife's 09 Era (small frame) needed a spacer to move the brain fore/aft keep the Brain from contacting the stay. The "slot" in place of a hole makes sense as it would allow some adjustment based upon frame size. That this part would be overly stressed and subject to breakage does not make much sense to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Any more word on the recall?

Has anyone heard if there is any update on when specialized will have the replacement parts ready?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What's the status of this recall now??

mtbr member
    Well, Mutly posted above that he was told late November so depending on how you look at the calendar that could be now. Have you checked with your LBS?

Cheers!

Fat Biker
    Stays will be arriving at most shops this week. Maybe early next week for the East Coast riders.

Call your local LBS for details on arrivals.

B
    Don't be a Hater!
    Black Sheep Phat Speedster SS
    Borealis Yampa XX1
    Salsa Spearfish RS1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the update. My shop does not have any of these on the floor awaiting replacement stays, but they do have a pending order from me for an Epic Expert. Do you know approximately how soon pending orders might begin to be filled again?

Thanks.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast