2010 Epic Recall

Printable View

  • 11-02-2009
    Maluco
    2010 Epic Recall
    LBS said certain 2010 Epics are being recalled by Specialized due to stays cracking.

    This issue is said to be holding up delivery of new models.

    Can someone else confirm this news?
  • 11-02-2009
    CHSAD
    So is that why I am still waiting?
  • 11-02-2009
    goneskiian
    I heard this from my LBS today as well.

    What they told me was that there have been some failures of the small tab that the "brain" mounts to.

    I believe it only affects the aluminum 26" wheeled bikes.
  • 11-02-2009
    CHSAD
    So the S-Works are not recalled?
  • 11-02-2009
    FROGMAN524
    Is it only holding up epics?
  • 11-02-2009
    skiahh
    I heard that about the 29er SJ FSRs, too. Improper weld treatment on one of the rear stays.
  • 11-06-2009
    Mutly
    Epic Marathon wait
    my Epic Marathon reached the store at the end of October and I was due to collect it tomorrow, Nov 7th, and have BG fit but store rang saying they are not allowed to release it .
    So far they can tell me nothing about timescale to sort this.
    ....... frustrating !!
    Mutly, UK
  • 11-06-2009
    goneskiian
    Very strange. Did they mention it was part of this recall?
  • 11-06-2009
    kevindef
    I ordered the Epic Marathon frame a month or so ago and haven't heard anything. When I placed the order they told me early November. I will have to give them a call and see what they say. Oh well.
  • 11-06-2009
    thatdrewguy
    My epic comp 29 is IN. :thumbsup:
    size medium and LBS says recall doesn't affect the 29-er comp.
    I will pick it up tomorrow.
  • 11-06-2009
    NCtrailX
    Anyone know the real reason for a recall? Doesn't make sense for the marathon to be affected and the comp not to be since they use the same frame and shock.

    Ready for my XL Epic Comp to show up!
  • 11-06-2009
    wyoracerX
    Q:
    What, exactly, is the problem?
    A:
    In eight cases that we know of to date, the mounting bracket for the Brain reservoirs have cracked where it is welded to the seatstay.

    Q:
    What models are affected?
    A:
    2010 Epic Marathon Carbon, 2010 Epic Marathon Frame, 2010 Epic Marathon Expert, 2010 Epic Expert, 2010 Epic Comp Carbon, 2010 Epic Comp, 2010 Era FSR Expert Carbon, 2010 Era FSR Expert and 2010 Era FSR Comp.

    Q:
    Why is the 2010 model year affected and not 2009, they look identical?
    A:
    For 2010, the Brain mounting tab was moved closer to the rear axle, and there was a design modification to the mounting tab. This design modification resulted in less material at a stressed point.

    Q:
    Has anybody been hurt?
    A:
    Not to our knowledge. However, the potential does exist, which is why we issued this Stop Sale notice.

    Q:
    What should I do if my customer calls me about this issue?
    A:
    You should advise them to immediately discontinue riding the bicycle. We are currently in communication with the CPSC and will have a solution for you to pass along to your customers in short order. We will let you know more as soon as we hear from the CPSC.

    Q:
    How many of these incidents have there been?
    A:
    We are aware of eight.

    Q:
    Is this a recall?
    A:
    This is not a recall at this moment. However, we are in contact with the CPSC and will follow all of their requests and protocols. We will keep you apprised as we get direction from the CPSC.

    Q:
    What should I do with the affected bikes I have in inventory?
    A:
    Firstly, do not sell any of the affected models that you have in stock. Secondly, we will provide you with replacement parts as soon as they are available, so that you can rework the affected bikes you have in stock. Our belief at this time is that replacement parts will be available in November.

    Q:
    Will you provide me with a service credit to replace the seatstays of the affected bikes I need to rework?
    A:
    Yes, absolutely. We are calculating the time required to do this rework. We are also in contact with a cross-section of dealers and soliciting their opinions of a reasonable credit. Based on the time required and the feedback of the dealers we have contacted, we will determine an appropriate amount that will be credited per bike.
  • 11-07-2009
    PainCake
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wyoracerX
    Q:
    What, exactly, is the problem?
    A:
    In eight cases that we know of to date, the mounting bracket for the Brain reservoirs have cracked where it is welded to the seatstay.

    Q:
    What models are affected?
    A:
    2010 Epic Marathon Carbon, 2010 Epic Marathon Frame, 2010 Epic Marathon Expert, 2010 Epic Expert, 2010 Epic Comp Carbon, 2010 Epic Comp, 2010 Era FSR Expert Carbon, 2010 Era FSR Expert and 2010 Era FSR Comp.

    Q:
    Why is the 2010 model year affected and not 2009, they look identical?
    A:
    For 2010, the Brain mounting tab was moved closer to the rear axle, and there was a design modification to the mounting tab. This design modification resulted in less material at a stressed point.

    Q:
    Has anybody been hurt?
    A:
    Not to our knowledge. However, the potential does exist, which is why we issued this Stop Sale notice.

    Q:
    What should I do if my customer calls me about this issue?
    A:
    You should advise them to immediately discontinue riding the bicycle. We are currently in communication with the CPSC and will have a solution for you to pass along to your customers in short order. We will let you know more as soon as we hear from the CPSC.

    Q:
    How many of these incidents have there been?
    A:
    We are aware of eight.

    Q:
    Is this a recall?
    A:
    This is not a recall at this moment. However, we are in contact with the CPSC and will follow all of their requests and protocols. We will keep you apprised as we get direction from the CPSC.

    Q:
    What should I do with the affected bikes I have in inventory?
    A:
    Firstly, do not sell any of the affected models that you have in stock. Secondly, we will provide you with replacement parts as soon as they are available, so that you can rework the affected bikes you have in stock. Our belief at this time is that replacement parts will be available in November.

    Q:
    Will you provide me with a service credit to replace the seatstays of the affected bikes I need to rework?
    A:
    Yes, absolutely. We are calculating the time required to do this rework. We are also in contact with a cross-section of dealers and soliciting their opinions of a reasonable credit. Based on the time required and the feedback of the dealers we have contacted, we will determine an appropriate amount that will be credited per bike.


    Where did this come from and what is the date of this?? And, how come the 2010 Epic Marathon Carbon is listed and not the 2010 Epic Expert Carbon when they have the exact same frames??

    FACT 9m carbon front triangle, IS construction, M5 aluminum rear triangle. sealed cartridge bearing pivots, 100mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger

    Buehler?? :confused:
  • 11-07-2009
    iRoNeTiK
    My LBS told me it was any Epic that WAS NOT S-works that was affected by this brain mount tab issue. Just my 2 cents...

    Hope they get it fixed, sucks.
  • 11-07-2009
    wyoracerX
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PainCake
    Where did this come from and what is the date of this?? And, how come the 2010 Epic Marathon Carbon is listed and not the 2010 Epic Expert Carbon when they have the exact same frames??

    FACT 9m carbon front triangle, IS construction, M5 aluminum rear triangle. sealed cartridge bearing pivots, 100mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger

    Buehler?? :confused:

    Stop sale involves all 2010 Epics with alloy seatstays.
    This came off the Specialized dealer website.
    Attachment 495774
  • 11-08-2009
    NCtrailX
    Any mention of the 29ers? I know they use different stays than the 26ers, but they are alloy.

    Hate that it's causing a delay in getting the bikes out, but better to take care of it now than have to ship the thing back after riding it for a couple months.
  • 11-08-2009
    thatdrewguy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Any mention of the 29ers? I know they use different stays than the 26ers, but they are alloy.

    Hate that it's causing a delay in getting the bikes out, but better to take care of it now than have to ship the thing back after riding it for a couple months.

    I picked up my medium size 29 comp yesterday and unless the shop mis-read the recall, I'm thinking I'm good to ride it. I posted a couple of pics in the Specialized bikes photo thread.
  • 11-08-2009
    goneskiian
    My LBS said it's not an issue the 29ers when I talked to them last week. Different stays as you pointed out. :D ;)
  • 11-10-2009
    Mutly
    Hold up
    Yes, Goneskiian, my Epic Marthon Carbon is held due this Stop Notice on its alluminium rear triangle.
    In truth the shop are trying to handle this as apologetically, and as sensitively, as they can - I have no wish to criticise them.
    I was able to see the bike on Saturday, Nov 7th. The brain mount tab weld looks to be designed as substantial where it attaches to the offside chainstay, and there is no obvious fault on the weld on my example. I can only speculate that the 'design fault' is nothing to do with the beefyness of the weld. Unless the weld is actually faulty I can't imagine the tab falling off 8 bikes due to the 'design'. On the other hand, the photographs show the tab features an elongated slot for the brain's bolt to attach through, rather than a simple circular hole. I presume this allows for some adjustment in its placing, fore and aft. I know of no reason why it should be designed for this level of positional adjustment - does anybody know why? Is it just to suit several model variants with the same tab?
    Perhaps it is the tab's elongated hole feature that has created a mounting weakness??? It would certainly be easier for the brain to twist if knocked - and if it twists it could potentially go in the spokes and trigger a catastrophic failure. - Perhaps this peels the tab in two like a sacrificial mech hanger peels apart.
    Apparently it is hoped that fresh trangles will arrive late November - ish. I have been told they will come 'from the USA', which puzzled me - the frame has 'Made in Taiwan' stickers.
    ???
  • 11-10-2009
    JackJr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mutly
    ......On the other hand, the photographs show the tab features an elongated slot for the brain's bolt to attach through, rather than a simple circular hole. I presume this allows for some adjustment in its placing, fore and aft. I know of no reason why it should be designed for this level of positional adjustment - does anybody know why? Is it just to suit several model variants with the same tab?

    My wife's 09 Era (small frame) needed a spacer to move the brain fore/aft keep the Brain from contacting the stay. The "slot" in place of a hole makes sense as it would allow some adjustment based upon frame size. That this part would be overly stressed and subject to breakage does not make much sense to me.
  • 11-17-2009
    tcp13equals2
    Any more word on the recall?
    Has anyone heard if there is any update on when specialized will have the replacement parts ready?
  • 11-19-2009
    senttrox
    What's the status of this recall now??
  • 11-19-2009
    goneskiian
    Well, Mutly posted above that he was told late November so depending on how you look at the calendar that could be now. Have you checked with your LBS?

    Cheers!
  • 11-23-2009
    wyoracerX
    Stays will be arriving at most shops this week. Maybe early next week for the East Coast riders.

    Call your local LBS for details on arrivals.

    B
  • 11-23-2009
    The Thorn
    Thanks for the update. My shop does not have any of these on the floor awaiting replacement stays, but they do have a pending order from me for an Epic Expert. Do you know approximately how soon pending orders might begin to be filled again?

    Thanks.

    Tony
  • 11-24-2009
    wyoracerX
    Should be soon since they are already sending out parts to the field. I would expect the bikes already in customers or shops hands would be fixed first and the bikes in the wharehouse being unboxed, retrofitted, and reboxed as quick as the techs can do it.

    B
  • 11-27-2009
    PainCake
  • 11-28-2009
    tcp13equals2
    I don't suppose anyone has heard when the replacement parts will make it down to Australia / New Zealand?
  • 11-30-2009
    PainCake
    I would just like to hear something here, in the US. This is pissing me off.
  • 11-30-2009
    flyag1
    I just want a29er comp in large, like yesterday!
  • 12-03-2009
    PainCake
    Seat stays coming within a week. Owners will be compensated.
  • 12-03-2009
    tcp13equals2
    For anyone else there from Australia / NZ - apparently the parts are still 2 weeks away from hitting the local distributors :( There was some issue with painting them the right color.

    Fingers crossed this is sorted before xmas ...
  • 12-22-2009
    JimmyLeggs
    any updates ?
  • 12-22-2009
    PainCake
    Some have been sent to some shops. I am still waiting for my specific seat stay as of today. Your LBS should have sent a post card out to you, if not, I would be on the phone with them.
  • 12-22-2009
    Mutly
    I am sorted now.
    Birmingham Specialized Concept Store handled it all pretty well.
    I collected my Epic Marathon Carbon December 12th. It is neat.
  • 12-22-2009
    JimmyLeggs
    I was just told first part of january that all the bikes are still on the boat, so you must be the only one in the country to have one ?
  • 12-22-2009
    jkittleson
    I bought mine a week ago in Houston....
  • 12-22-2009
    PainCake
    1 Attachment(s)
    Looks like there are a few of us...
    Bought Sept 24th
  • 12-23-2009
    Mutly
    Epic Marathon Carbon - in UK
    Jimmylegs,
    My bike arrived in UK early November and was one of the ones impounded and not let out of the shop. The fresh rear triangle was flown to UK by air and retro-fitted at the shop. I was told that it was flown from the USA to UK. I suppose it was feasible to fly a component, but complete bikes will follow on a slow boat from Taiwan.
    Have managed to add lightness by removing about a dozen stupid stickers so far.
    Its a shame I can't plan to fit a Hope or Chris King ceramic bottom bracket. Recently I don't tend to get long life out of BB's and my last Ultegra road one lasted only 500miles. And this Epic is likely to have a much much filthier existence than that - the only option for the Epic carbon frame is the Shimano BB-91, which appears to have XT/Ultegra-quality bearings.
    Now I've just to remove the inner tubes and try the Specialized version of going tubeless
    Mutly, Isle of Wight
    For any Epic'ers that want to keep in touch, my email address is:-
    mutly10131-ec09 at yahoo.co.uk
  • 12-23-2009
    JimmyLeggs
    Mutly, my bad. I just assumed you were in US and you got a new one off the floor. I was told all the bikes were here in the stated when the recall came out and had to back to Taiwan and now they are done and back on the boat. The last update was saying first part of january.
  • 12-23-2009
    Mutly
    worth the wait
    Jimmyleggss,
    Around here the winter weather has been horrific so I haven't missed any MTB riding with the delay. Just kept commuting, cross-country, on my old Fisher workhorse.
    Good luck. Hope your wait is that short.
    It will be worth the wait.
    Mutly

    2010 Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon (mainly for XC marathons)
    2009 Kuota Kebel / Ultegra SL
    2006 Trek 1200 / Tiagra triple / mudguards
    2004 Gary Fisher Montare hybrid 29er c/w XT / Reba Team
    2003 Fausto Coppi Lombardia / Tiagra on Tacx Flow Turbo-Trainer.
  • 12-24-2009
    PainCake
    UPDATE: My bike has been repaired with the new stay. /sigh : )
  • 01-13-2010
    road_donut
    My Specialized Epic FSR Comp Carbon 2010 has just landed, it had been on order since 12 of Dec..... well its at wheelies.co.uk in Wales and they have now got to deliver it to me in Nottingham, i hope it can get through the snow
  • 01-16-2010
    senttrox
    can anyone post a picture of a new stay,...still waiting for mine!
  • 11-16-2011
    FaithRaven
    I'm sorry to revive this thread but I just got aware of this issue after buying from ebay a Specialized Epic 2010 Expert frame.

    Can you notice from this pic is this is one of the affected lot?
    img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/6/4/2/7/1/webimg/468619564_o.jpg
  • 11-16-2011
    erichwic
    Warranty won't transfer from owner to owner. I'm pretty sure it's for the original owner only.
  • 11-16-2011
    FaithRaven
    I know. I just try to identify if this frame has the issue or not.
  • 11-16-2011
    SpecialWarr
    If the frame falls into the following list then yes, it is...


    AFFECTED BICYCLES
    Bike Model
    Epic
    Marathon Carbon
    Marathon Frame
    Expert Carbon
    Expert
    Comp Carbon
    Comp

    Era

    FSR Expert Carbon
    Era FSR Expert
    Era FSR Comp
  • 11-17-2011
    dirkinho
    Purchased my Marathon Carbon frame in August 2010. How can I find out if this one is affected?

    Btw, has anyone heard of problems with the seat stay getting wider over time so that the seat post has play?
  • 01-24-2012
    Doublemayo
    I guess this is why my LBS had 3 different 2010 epics on for hot prices last week, dodgy fackers!