Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2010 Epic Recall

17K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  Doublemayo 
#1 ·
LBS said certain 2010 Epics are being recalled by Specialized due to stays cracking.

This issue is said to be holding up delivery of new models.

Can someone else confirm this news?

#7 ·
Epic Marathon wait

my Epic Marathon reached the store at the end of October and I was due to collect it tomorrow, Nov 7th, and have BG fit but store rang saying they are not allowed to release it .
So far they can tell me nothing about timescale to sort this.
....... frustrating !!
Mutly, UK

#9 ·
I ordered the Epic Marathon frame a month or so ago and haven't heard anything. When I placed the order they told me early November. I will have to give them a call and see what they say. Oh well.

#12 ·
Q:
What, exactly, is the problem?
A:
In eight cases that we know of to date, the mounting bracket for the Brain reservoirs have cracked where it is welded to the seatstay.

Q:
What models are affected?
A:
2010 Epic Marathon Carbon, 2010 Epic Marathon Frame, 2010 Epic Marathon Expert, 2010 Epic Expert, 2010 Epic Comp Carbon, 2010 Epic Comp, 2010 Era FSR Expert Carbon, 2010 Era FSR Expert and 2010 Era FSR Comp.

Q:
Why is the 2010 model year affected and not 2009, they look identical?
A:
For 2010, the Brain mounting tab was moved closer to the rear axle, and there was a design modification to the mounting tab. This design modification resulted in less material at a stressed point.

Q:
Has anybody been hurt?
A:
Not to our knowledge. However, the potential does exist, which is why we issued this Stop Sale notice.

Q:
What should I do if my customer calls me about this issue?
A:
You should advise them to immediately discontinue riding the bicycle. We are currently in communication with the CPSC and will have a solution for you to pass along to your customers in short order. We will let you know more as soon as we hear from the CPSC.

Q:
How many of these incidents have there been?
A:
We are aware of eight.

Q:
Is this a recall?
A:
This is not a recall at this moment. However, we are in contact with the CPSC and will follow all of their requests and protocols. We will keep you apprised as we get direction from the CPSC.

Q:
What should I do with the affected bikes I have in inventory?
A:
Firstly, do not sell any of the affected models that you have in stock. Secondly, we will provide you with replacement parts as soon as they are available, so that you can rework the affected bikes you have in stock. Our belief at this time is that replacement parts will be available in November.

Q:
Will you provide me with a service credit to replace the seatstays of the affected bikes I need to rework?
A:
Yes, absolutely. We are calculating the time required to do this rework. We are also in contact with a cross-section of dealers and soliciting their opinions of a reasonable credit. Based on the time required and the feedback of the dealers we have contacted, we will determine an appropriate amount that will be credited per bike.

#13 ·
wyoracerX said:
Q:
What, exactly, is the problem?
A:
In eight cases that we know of to date, the mounting bracket for the Brain reservoirs have cracked where it is welded to the seatstay.

Q:
What models are affected?
A:
2010 Epic Marathon Carbon, 2010 Epic Marathon Frame, 2010 Epic Marathon Expert, 2010 Epic Expert, 2010 Epic Comp Carbon, 2010 Epic Comp, 2010 Era FSR Expert Carbon, 2010 Era FSR Expert and 2010 Era FSR Comp.

Q:
Why is the 2010 model year affected and not 2009, they look identical?
A:
For 2010, the Brain mounting tab was moved closer to the rear axle, and there was a design modification to the mounting tab. This design modification resulted in less material at a stressed point.

Q:
Has anybody been hurt?
A:
Not to our knowledge. However, the potential does exist, which is why we issued this Stop Sale notice.

Q:
What should I do if my customer calls me about this issue?
A:
You should advise them to immediately discontinue riding the bicycle. We are currently in communication with the CPSC and will have a solution for you to pass along to your customers in short order. We will let you know more as soon as we hear from the CPSC.

Q:
How many of these incidents have there been?
A:
We are aware of eight.

Q:
Is this a recall?
A:
This is not a recall at this moment. However, we are in contact with the CPSC and will follow all of their requests and protocols. We will keep you apprised as we get direction from the CPSC.

Q:
What should I do with the affected bikes I have in inventory?
A:
Firstly, do not sell any of the affected models that you have in stock. Secondly, we will provide you with replacement parts as soon as they are available, so that you can rework the affected bikes you have in stock. Our belief at this time is that replacement parts will be available in November.

Q:
Will you provide me with a service credit to replace the seatstays of the affected bikes I need to rework?
A:
Yes, absolutely. We are calculating the time required to do this rework. We are also in contact with a cross-section of dealers and soliciting their opinions of a reasonable credit. Based on the time required and the feedback of the dealers we have contacted, we will determine an appropriate amount that will be credited per bike.
Where did this come from and what is the date of this?? And, how come the 2010 Epic Marathon Carbon is listed and not the 2010 Epic Expert Carbon when they have the exact same frames??

FACT 9m carbon front triangle, IS construction, M5 aluminum rear triangle. sealed cartridge bearing pivots, 100mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger

Buehler?? :confused:

#15 · (Edited)
PainCake said:
Where did this come from and what is the date of this?? And, how come the 2010 Epic Marathon Carbon is listed and not the 2010 Epic Expert Carbon when they have the exact same frames??

FACT 9m carbon front triangle, IS construction, M5 aluminum rear triangle. sealed cartridge bearing pivots, 100mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger

Buehler?? :confused:
Stop sale involves all 2010 Epics with alloy seatstays.
This came off the Specialized dealer website.
Porcelain Serveware Dishware Ceramic Pottery

#17 · (Edited)
sthrnfat said:
Any mention of the 29ers? I know they use different stays than the 26ers, but they are alloy.

Hate that it's causing a delay in getting the bikes out, but better to take care of it now than have to ship the thing back after riding it for a couple months.
I picked up my medium size 29 comp yesterday and unless the shop mis-read the recall, I'm thinking I'm good to ride it. I posted a couple of pics in the Specialized bikes photo thread.

Attachments

#19 ·
Hold up

Yes, Goneskiian, my Epic Marthon Carbon is held due this Stop Notice on its alluminium rear triangle.
In truth the shop are trying to handle this as apologetically, and as sensitively, as they can - I have no wish to criticise them.
I was able to see the bike on Saturday, Nov 7th. The brain mount tab weld looks to be designed as substantial where it attaches to the offside chainstay, and there is no obvious fault on the weld on my example. I can only speculate that the 'design fault' is nothing to do with the beefyness of the weld. Unless the weld is actually faulty I can't imagine the tab falling off 8 bikes due to the 'design'. On the other hand, the photographs show the tab features an elongated slot for the brain's bolt to attach through, rather than a simple circular hole. I presume this allows for some adjustment in its placing, fore and aft. I know of no reason why it should be designed for this level of positional adjustment - does anybody know why? Is it just to suit several model variants with the same tab?
Perhaps it is the tab's elongated hole feature that has created a mounting weakness??? It would certainly be easier for the brain to twist if knocked - and if it twists it could potentially go in the spokes and trigger a catastrophic failure. - Perhaps this peels the tab in two like a sacrificial mech hanger peels apart.
Apparently it is hoped that fresh trangles will arrive late November - ish. I have been told they will come 'from the USA', which puzzled me - the frame has 'Made in Taiwan' stickers.
???

#20 ·
Mutly said:
......On the other hand, the photographs show the tab features an elongated slot for the brain's bolt to attach through, rather than a simple circular hole. I presume this allows for some adjustment in its placing, fore and aft. I know of no reason why it should be designed for this level of positional adjustment - does anybody know why? Is it just to suit several model variants with the same tab?
My wife's 09 Era (small frame) needed a spacer to move the brain fore/aft keep the Brain from contacting the stay. The "slot" in place of a hole makes sense as it would allow some adjustment based upon frame size. That this part would be overly stressed and subject to breakage does not make much sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.