Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2010 Epic Recall

17K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  Doublemayo 
#1 ·
LBS said certain 2010 Epics are being recalled by Specialized due to stays cracking.

This issue is said to be holding up delivery of new models.

Can someone else confirm this news?

#34 ·
Some have been sent to some shops. I am still waiting for my specific seat stay as of today. Your LBS should have sent a post card out to you, if not, I would be on the phone with them.

#39 ·
Epic Marathon Carbon - in UK

Jimmylegs,
My bike arrived in UK early November and was one of the ones impounded and not let out of the shop. The fresh rear triangle was flown to UK by air and retro-fitted at the shop. I was told that it was flown from the USA to UK. I suppose it was feasible to fly a component, but complete bikes will follow on a slow boat from Taiwan.
Have managed to add lightness by removing about a dozen stupid stickers so far.
Its a shame I can't plan to fit a Hope or Chris King ceramic bottom bracket. Recently I don't tend to get long life out of BB's and my last Ultegra road one lasted only 500miles. And this Epic is likely to have a much much filthier existence than that - the only option for the Epic carbon frame is the Shimano BB-91, which appears to have XT/Ultegra-quality bearings.
Now I've just to remove the inner tubes and try the Specialized version of going tubeless
Mutly, Isle of Wight
For any Epic'ers that want to keep in touch, my email address is:-
mutly10131-ec09 at yahoo.co.uk

#41 ·
worth the wait

Jimmyleggss,
Around here the winter weather has been horrific so I haven't missed any MTB riding with the delay. Just kept commuting, cross-country, on my old Fisher workhorse.
Good luck. Hope your wait is that short.
It will be worth the wait.
Mutly

2010 Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon (mainly for XC marathons)
2009 Kuota Kebel / Ultegra SL
2006 Trek 1200 / Tiagra triple / mudguards
2004 Gary Fisher Montare hybrid 29er c/w XT / Reba Team
2003 Fausto Coppi Lombardia / Tiagra on Tacx Flow Turbo-Trainer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.