my church is the woods

2010 Enduro: Tubeless ready?

Got a 2010 Enduro Expert. It came with the DT Swiss E440S rims with tubes in the tires. It also came with a little baggie with tubeless valve stems. I took off the tires and the rim strips look like fiber tape, not the tubeless type strips.
    • Should I have gotten the tubeless rim strips too?
    • Is there anyone who has converted these wheels to tubeless and how?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You can convert to tubeless. I did. Just use standard rim tape (I used the yellow kind), tubeless valves, tire sealant, and your good to go!

UNDEAD
    Hit up your LBS and buy the Stan's tubeless kit $45.
    Includes proper rim strips, valves, sealant, etc.

Careful tho cause if you've been riding the stock tires with air they are prolly streched out and may not hold sealant properly. e.g. burping will occur A LOT

I'd start fresh with some new tires since psi on tubeless is much lower than standard aired tires. All Spec tires are tubeless ready pretty much nowadays.

Good luck
    2013 Specialized Enduro Expert
    Bronco D-handle square point Shovel

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I have mine set up tubeless, just took tape, valves, and sealant. My stock tires didn't flat until the rear got really worn (should have replaced it) and I gashed a 4 inch hole in the sidewall.

Miles from the truck, of course.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I bought the DT Swiss KIt for mine. Cost more than the Stan's though. The strip on the inside is a rubber piece that has grooves setup to help keep the bead of the tire against the rim.

Been running the setup for 4 months now without any issues, except I have to put air in before every ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    glad you posted this, im looking at my enduro right now with a flat and this is like the 5th flat ive had and yes ive tried a few different things to stop it. but i think its time to go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I did the conversion with stock set up and Stan's. Did one ride and all was good. After a day or so, I noticed I was losing quite a bit of air so I pumped up tires and started to lose air even more quikely. I think I broke the seal on the valve so I tried to tighten the valve which made it even worse I don't know if I damaged the seal on the valve. I gave up. I'll have to take apart the system and maybe have to get a new valve. In the past I used SLR Mavic Tubeless wheels which worked great. I also converted another set of DT Swiss wheels using Stan's rim strips with Stan's sealant which worked great. I Love Tubeless. There is nothing better than pulling a goat head out of your tire and seeing Stan's ooze out and seal the leak in seconds. I think of it as saving $ 5 for each goat head plus it's nice to be able to run lower tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ...so how much lighter are tubeless converted enduro DT wheels, compared to the ones with thin 2.35 tubes?

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong
    I bought the DT Swiss KIt for mine. Cost more than the Stan's though. The strip on the inside is a rubber piece that has grooves setup to help keep the bead of the tire against the rim.

Which DT kit did you usu, the XR or EX?
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Acce...belesskit.aspx
    The E440S rim isn't on either description.

my church is the woods
    FYI: I got an email response directly from DT Swiss;

They said the EX tubeless kit will fit the 440 rims better.

So according to mcgong's post, the DT strip helps secure the tire bead better to the rim....can anyone verify or have experience with burping the bead on trail, with the DT kit, Stans strips, or just taping the rim - any real world difference?

mtbr member
    How about the 2011 Enduro Expert? It has different wheels.