mtbr member
    Sep 2003

2010 Enduro/SJ brakes/stopping power?

A little off topic but . . .

I'm looking for new discs and have the opportunity to get a set of SRAM XX brakes with 185mm rotors for the same price as the Elixir CR Mags.

SRAMs website states that the XX's are not to be used in-all mountain applications and are NOT compatible with semi-metallic pads.

So . . . the new Enduro/SJ S-works come with semi-metallic pads on XX brakes for use on all-mountain bikes!

Anyone here with a 2010 Enduro/SJ that has used these brakes on long-extended downhills, etc??

Do they work well?? Do I need to worry if I buy the XXs??

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meph
    A little off topic but . . .

I'm looking for new discs and have the opportunity to get a set of SRAM XX brakes with 185mm rotors for the same price as the Elixir CR Mags.

SRAMs website states that the XX's are not to be used in-all mountain applications and are NOT compatible with semi-metallic pads.

So . . . the new Enduro/SJ S-works come with semi-metallic pads on XX brakes for use on all-mountain bikes!

Anyone here with a 2010 Enduro/SJ that has used these brakes on long-extended downhills, etc??

Do they work well?? Do I need to worry if I buy the XXs??
    Well ----for me the 185's would not work at all , and the semi-metalic pads do not work for me either ------they really suck for me .

the organic pad from Sram and the 203 mm rotors ft and back are a must if you are really doing some hard DH .

I can smoke the brakes easy on a 30 lbs bike with only a 185 rotor and semi-matalic pads on the thing .

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    Well ----for me the 185's would not work at all , and the semi-metalic pads do not work for me either ------they really suck for me .

the organic pad from Sram and the 203 mm rotors ft and back are a must if you are really doing some hard DH .

I can smoke the brakes easy on a 30 lbs bike with only a 185 rotor and semi-matalic pads on the thing .

Just want to make sure that I understand . . . you are referring to the SRAM XX brakes specifically.

Do you think the same thing would happen to you with Elixir CR Mags (i.e. smoke the brakes on a 30 lbs bike with only a 185 rotor and semi-metallic pads on the the thing)???

mtbr member
    I run Avid Elixr Cr's on my 32 pound Enduro SL and have no problem with smoking brakes. I run 8' in the front and 7 inch in the rear. Ive found that using that rotor combo is the best for sustained downhill. I run sintered in the front and organic in the rear. The Elixr's modulate excellently, so no worries of locking up unless you need to. Im 190 kitted up.
    Last edited by darkslide18; 12-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    I run Avid Elixr Cr's on my 32 pound Enduro SL and have no problem with smoking brakes. I run 8' in the front and 7 inch in the rear. Ive found that using that rotor combo is the best for sustained downhill. I run sintered in the front and organic in the rear. The Elixr's modulate excellently, so no worries of locking up unless you need to. Im 190 kitted up.

That's good to hear, but will the Elixir XX's hold up as well as the CR's??

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you run a larger 203mm rotor in the ft you should be ok, ------the 185 it will just depend on how hard you push the thing

mtbr member
    They should. They look like pretty much the same brakes. Id have to look at internal design to be able to diffirentiate. Just go with a 203mm front rotor. Problem should be solved.