mtbr member

2010 enduro s-works 26er - > Stumpy evo 2013 29er

Im thinking of swapping out my 2010 s-works enduro which ive had for about 4 years now. Brilliant bike and not found anything else id replace it with in the time ive had it.

The sort of riding im doing im finding this is just too much bike and a bit of a slog on anything other than the downs. The tail end of last year i got myself a cannonade flash 29er which since buying ive maybe touched the enduro twice. I love the flash but when things get rough its well out of its league.

Im thinking of selling the enduro and going for a stumpy for a more trailsy 29er with me liking the 29er flash ive been riding for the most part of last year.

If i can im going to try and test ride one next month. Has anyone done the above? are they completely different rides or is there too much of a crossover between the enduro and stumpy 29er?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A person I know who races different disciplines of MTB had both, 2013 Stumpy EVO 29er and 2014 Enduro S-Works 29er. He ended up changing the Stumpy EVO for a Camber EVO for XC racing as he felt a bit of a crossover on both bikes.

I haven't ridden a Stumpy EVO however, the new Enduro climbs significantly better than it's predecessors. Still a beast for the DH.

**edit** Just found this on the specialized website, refer 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=2WPS53z7POE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Im thinking of swapping out my 2010 s-works enduro which ive had for about 4 years now. Brilliant bike and not found anything else id replace it with in the time ive had it.

The sort of riding im doing im finding this is just too much bike and a bit of a slog on anything other than the downs. The tail end of last year i got myself a cannonade flash 29er which since buying ive maybe touched the enduro twice. I love the flash but when things get rough its well out of its league.

Im thinking of selling the enduro and going for a stumpy for a more trailsy 29er with me liking the 29er flash ive been riding for the most part of last year.

If i can im going to try and test ride one next month. Has anyone done the above? are they completely different rides or is there too much of a crossover between the enduro and stumpy 29er?

Thanks
    Yep, I went from a '10 S works Enduro to a '13 evo stumpy 9r.
    I loved the switch to big wheel. I did splurge for a set of carbon rovals which made the change a lot more digestible.
    I've got almost a year on the sj evo 9r and it is a contender for the one do all bike.
    Problem is I'm an addict and picked up an S works Enduro 9r as well. It is only 26 ounces heavier than my evo but is a different beast. The short chainstays give the Enduro 9r a wheelbase that is nominally longer than the 26 version...making it a snappy and playful Monster Truck that will get you back up the hill easier than you think.
    So if you want a bike that rides like your current one but has circus wheels, go for the Enduro...The stumpy is also amazing but has a longer wheelbase and chainstays and is just a bit more cross country than the Enduro.
    Fwiw: It has already been said by a few people that they would love the short rear end of an Enduro mated to the stumpy front triangle. I'd bet/hope we will see this in the '15 product cycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tshred View Post
    Yep, I went from a '10 S works Enduro to a '13 evo stumpy 9r.
    I loved the switch to big wheel. I did splurge for a set of carbon rovals which made the change a lot more digestible.
    I've got almost a year on the sj evo 9r and it is a contender for the one do all bike.
    Problem is I'm an addict and picked up an S works Enduro 9r as well. It is only 26 ounces heavier than my evo but is a different beast. The short chainstays give the Enduro 9r a wheelbase that is nominally longer than the 26 version...making it a snappy and playful Monster Truck that will get you back up the hill easier than you think.
    So if you want a bike that rides like your current one but has circus wheels, go for the Enduro...The stumpy is also amazing but has a longer wheelbase and chainstays and is just a bit more cross country than the Enduro.
    Fwiw: It has already been said by a few people that they would love the short rear end of an Enduro mated to the stumpy front triangle. I'd bet/hope we will see this in the '15 product cycle.

Thanks both - I think the enduro would be just too much of a bike for me tbh which is why I wouldn't mind going for the stumpy.

My enduros built up pretty light at 27lbs , The stumpy I'm only looking at the frame set and plan on fitting pikes 150's to keep within the 10% for warranty and derby rims.

Tshred - so out of your 26 enduro and the 9r stumpy did you prefer the stumpy then would you say there is too much of a crossover between the 2 and not really worth it?

Thanks

mtbr member
    If I had to choose between the 26" Enduro and the 29" sj evo I would take the sj evo.
    If I had to choose between the 29" Enduro and the 29" evo I would choose the Enduro 9r.
    Would I swap the evo 9r for a camber now that I have the Enduro: no way...I like the fudge factor of 15mm more suspension and the head angle.

I don't think there is too much crossover with the 9rs... I just don't ride the sj evo as much as I used to.
    Would I keep the 26 Enduro after I got a sj 9r? No..once you go circus you prolly won't want to go back.

I would be interested in a carbon 650b Enduro evo tho:-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tshred View Post
    If I had to choose between the 26" Enduro and the 29" sj evo I would take the sj evo.
    If I had to choose between the 29" Enduro and the 29" evo I would choose the Enduro 9r.
    Would I swap the evo 9r for a camber now that I have the Enduro: no way...I like the fudge factor of 15mm more suspension and the head angle.
    I would be interested in a carbon 650b Enduro evo tho:-)

Thanks fella ....Think the stumpy will be ideal for what I ride.

I'll try and get a demo in the next week before going ahead with the purchase.

mtbr member
    I had an 11 enduro comp, loved it but felt like I was wasting it sometimes. I switched to a 12 SJ comp carbon and felt like a new rider. I climbed so much better, and I think mostly because of the bigger wheels. I have kept it but it was a little to small and I felt it when riding down.
    I ended up getting a 12 transition B29. It is the best bike I have ever ridden, climbs way better than the enduro and is almost as much fun going down.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone