mtbr member

2010 enduro + RP23 issue

Thought id ask here as im unsure on whats causing the issue.

Ive had my enduro for around 3 years with the stock RP23. In the time ive had it ive never had the shock serviced.

The problem ive got is say i go over a section of small rollers seated the rear end seems to kick me out the saddle and almost throws me over the bars. Ive tried all combinations of rebound but get the same unless i run it very slow.

Im a lightweight rider at 10st and run the shock with 35%sag as per the seat stay indicated sagatron.

Could this simply be the shock needing a service or do i need to play around with the rebound and air pressures?

Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem or anyone similar weight to me tell me your air pressures and sag?

Also is it worth pushing the rp23?

Hope this makes sense as I'm posting from my phone.

Many thanks

eBiker
    Sounds like an internal shock issue. It's time for a rebuild.

Push would be great. Rebuild + specialized tuning for the win!

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The other option is to look for 2011+ Enduro RP23 shock.
    My 2010 carbon frame was warrantied (front shock attachment point worn off) and the new frame is shiny 2011 S-Works with new shock which looks just like the old one but is completely different. It runs lower pressure and instead of 3 pro-pedal settings and one open it has one pro-pedal and 3 low speed compression positions.
    The ride improvement over 2010 is very significant. Bike stays high in travel when climbing and feels very composed - but playful - when going down. Bucking when seated climbing is all but gone too. My guess is that mid-stroke dumping is seriously improved. To my understanding 2012 shock version is the same as 2011 except for hip hop kashima finish

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    you probably don't have any rebound dampening left since your oil is cooked and thin.

i had push tune my rp and it's night and day different. run 30 psi less and have more control everwhere and no wallows and no pedal bob - the pp lever actaully works now.

if you have to spend 100 for a service, spend the extra 70 and get it tuned.