Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2010 Enduro review?

Anyone seen any magazine or decent online reviews of the 2010 enduro? I'd like to check one out but all I can find is press clips from the release.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by mgunstudios
    Anyone seen any magazine or decent online reviews of the 2010 enduro? I'd like to check one out but all I can find is press clips from the release.
    I had a chance to ride the Expert this summer in at Snowbird. I owned an 08 Carbon SL and honestly, the bike didn't do much for me. It did pedal great, but it was just dead feeling and I was never able to get the fork tuned right. Needless to say I was stoked to try the new one as it seemed to fit what I was looking for a bit better. It still climbed really well, I'd say as well as my 08 did, but it was a blast to rip down hill. The frame was significantly stiffer, but the bike just felt great at speed. The slightly lower BB helped it corner and it was just really fun to ride. The best way I can explain it is... it's a lightweight SX Trail that pedals SUPER well. If I were to only own 1 bike, this would be it!!!
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 11-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.

eBiker
    Here ya go:

http://www.tredzblog.co.uk/2009/09/s...10-review.html

I am picking up my new Enduro tomorrow, and will get a run in Downieville as well. I'll post up impressions this weekend.

P

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The 2010 Enduro kills D'Ville! The bike was made for trails like that. I rode it for the All Mtn this year and took 3 minutes off my DH time, and 10 minutes off my XC time from 2008 which was raced on a Stumpy.

I will be in Downieville this Sunday/Monday w/ a new Enduro. Shout at me, I can help you get it dialed!

The trails should be super ripper!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I tested the Enduro 2010 and was disappointed. The rear shock did not have the floating feeling of the 08-09 models, the front fork didnt impress either. The worst was however that I always had the feeling of almost flying over the front bar on big dumps. The 08-09 model seemed to be a much better balanced bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the 2010 Enduro test bike on loan from the LBS at the moment, and rode the first ride yesterday. Even if it is too large for me (frame size L, my bikes are M), it still felt really nimble and flickable. I especially liked the way the fork lifted from the ground effortlessly and with good control. Manuals should be easy with this bike. I did not play around with the fork/shock much yet, but the ride was really smooth already. Can't wait for tomorrows ride!

Overall it seems like a great combination of my Stumpjumper FSR 07 and SX Trail 05 (and then some), might have to wait for Ibis Mojo HD before making any purchases though... if I don't fall more in love during the next week

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Molby
    I tested the Enduro 2010 and was disappointed. The rear shock did not have the floating feeling of the 08-09 models, the front fork didnt impress either. The worst was however that I always had the feeling of almost flying over the front bar on big dumps. The 08-09 model seemed to be a much better balanced bike.

Somtimes I think I might fly off the toilet on big dumps...

Seriously though, something must have been weird w/ the suspension setup on the bike you tried. In comparison to the 2009 Enduro, the 2010 model feels more plush and seems to squat into the travel and rail more like a DH bike. But it is still way light and stiff and climbs great.

For me the 2010 Enduro is a far superior machine.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Floating rear shock ???

Flying over the bar LOL ! Its got a slacker head angle than the old model so I don't know what you're on about. Maybe you had triple the spring rate rear to front ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Something is lost in translation here. ( im norwegian)
    I didnt like the rebound on the rear shock as it was either veeeeeeeeeeery slow or too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JCL
    Floating rear shock ???

Flying over the bar LOL ! Its got a slacker head angle than the old model so I don't know what you're on about. Maybe you had triple the spring rate rear to front ?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Apologies for my comments Molby. I didn't realise you wrere from Norway. Your English is far better than my Norwegian !

However, I'm sure your issues regarding the new Enduro are suspension set-up related. If it isn't better in every aspect with the possible exception on climbing something s wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ve got my enduro and im reli happy about it
    i never have a problem of flying over bars and thing like that on enduro

i went for some more aggressive DH trails and apporch some huge drops (for what this bike design to handle, about 3,4 meters of air in height, 15-20 foot gap into landing) yesterday and it seems to be handling fine and even as well as my mates old (03 i think)big hit
    other than that i have to say again its a very light 6 inch travel freeride-able bike, mine is 30.05lbs, its so light that just launch you up to air on whatever jump you intend to apporch
    its one of the best bike lightest fr machine avilable so GET IT

Molby: may be you are just not pulling up when you apporch drops + put your rear shock's rebound slower(im running 3 clicks away from full firm on it
    Custom 08 Swork Stumpy FSR
    Custom Revell 250R Jump/4x/street
    Custom '10 Enduro - "sometimes trail ride turns into freeride"

eBiker
    I posted up a base impressions of my Comp version here:
    Post up your 2010 Enduro

So far I have only had one ride and that was rock embedded valley trails, no Downieville as it rained the entire day I was there , and it took me most of the day to build up the bike anyway.

ARider, sorry I missed you in Dville, I was just there on Friday, and after my ride on Sunday, have an appreciation for how good this bike would ride up there. Was that your bike in the photos floated around after the Classic?

I'm really digging how controlled the suspension feels. Yet it is still poppy! Note that I do not have the boost valve rear shock, it is the RP2.

The Lyric Solo Air R is surprisingly good too. Eats the rocks, is controlled, and still have an inch of unused travel after moderate jumps & small drops.

But again, this is just after one ride.

So far I'm loving it! When I got my 06 Enduro with DHX air, I had buyers remorse, a coil fixed that With this one, it is very good straight out of the box.

P

mtbr member
    I just rode a 2010 Enduro ... it made me feel tired climbing, and I didn't like how far back I was sitting. But coming down it took big hits very well and it actually put power to the ground very well when I got caught in the wrong gear on something steep. I felt like the rake was a little too aggressive and it felt sketchy in sandy stuff with the seat lowered... probably too much weight in back at that point.

I just wish it climbed better. Felt like I was sitting on the rear wheel and that front wheel wanted to go wherever the hell it wanted to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had the same feeling about the front wheel.
    Im riding my 09 Enduro comp on this short vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jKtQqjJXQ and always felt that the front wheel went exactly where I wanted it to go. the 2010 did not have the same precision and "feeling"...

Quote Originally Posted by donoman
    I just rode a 2010 Enduro ... it made me feel tired climbing, and I didn't like how far back I was sitting. But coming down it took big hits very well and it actually put power to the ground very well when I got caught in the wrong gear on something steep. I felt like the rake was a little too aggressive and it felt sketchy in sandy stuff with the seat lowered... probably too much weight in back at that point.

I just wish it climbed better. Felt like I was sitting on the rear wheel and that front wheel wanted to go wherever the hell it wanted to.

eBiker
    The 2010 Enduro is a slack jawed yokel. Dip the bike into the turn and the front wheel turns the bike. If you steer with the handlebars you will have a hard time in the turns. The new Enduro rewards driving a turn through the feet and going light on the handlebars in a turn.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/steep-l...ill-turns.html
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/weight-...r-turning.html

This will be year 4 on a 66* head angle for me and it has done XC just fine. I learned into it.

P

I had the same feeling about the front wheel.
    Im riding my 09 Enduro comp on this short vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jKtQqjJXQ and always felt that the front wheel went exactly where I wanted it to go. the 2010 did not have the same precision and "feeling"...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My 2010 Enduro Review

I was able to ride a demo of the 2010 Expert Enduro yesterday.

First impression when you hop on it. Dang, this is a lot of bike! The slack head angle is obvious in the parking lot. Super slack but VERY manageable. The shock gives a feel of freeride, NOTHING like my 2007 SL.

Climb:
    My first steep climb I was VERY pleased with the dual ring. Plenty O' Gears for me. The fork stayed down (I left it at 160). Rear tire stuck like glue to the dirt while climbing BUT because I left the shock open without any dampening it did feel like a mushy pedal.

After a few hills I changed the rebound on the rear and the climbs were as good and seriously, probably BETTER than my 07. Using the travel adjust on the fork made a huge difference also when the climb was rocky an technical. The rocky technical climbs were the only times I felt the bikes stretched out freeride-kinda-feel, a bit sketchy but nothing to get upset about. Also given that I rode it for 2.5 hours... not an ample amount of time to figure out how to handle this beauty.

Downhill:
    The fork loves the big hits an the little ones too. Super stiff, plush an responsive. I personally like it better than the E150... just my opinion.

The shock. This was the shocker! Throwing small hucks (im getting old 45... so be kind). MAYBE 3 feet up and 9 feet out. This bike lands an tracks like a gazelle an begs to go airborne more than my ass wants to. I think because of the slack head angle and shock placement getting the front of the bike off the ground was natural. SUPER centered in the air and never twitchy on the landings.

Faster downhill: The Cadillac stretched out ride let me get back behind the seat and release the brakes completely as the bike seemed to get even smoother over rocky downhills. The front of the bike never wandered and any snake like roots that dragged the tires sideways were quickly bitten back as the bike corrected itself lightning quick.

Overall, this bike is amazing. I recommend it to anyone in the XC/Leaning towards harder freeride. It rode tight as shiz, all the guts work well together and the bike is whole beneath you, never feeling a separation of any of the parts.

Now all this being said...

I got it back to the shop and just for giggles took the 2010 Stump FSR into the parking lot. WTF??? 140mm/nimble/light/looser??? I have to take this out for a test ride!!! I hated my 2004 Stumpy! It also made me realize the 2010 Enduro is too much bike for me. A fantastic bike but its like killing rabbits with a cannon in my case. The changes on the stumpy are astonishing and I am leaning heavily towards it now.

Sometimes you get to the buffet and load your plate up with way more than you could ever eat. Testing bikes/skis/snowboards has ALWAYS been a better way to buy for me.

I hope this review helps others with big eyes and small stomaches!

K

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

... and if we just ...

I'm lovin' it.

Handled the rocks behind it, no problem. Used maybe 60% of travel.

RustyUK
    Sep 2008
    loving that red but it's not available in the UK

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyUK
    loving that red but it's not available in the UK
    Ding! Or the Pro Carbon model

mtbr member
    Sweet red. I am counting down the days till my S-Works arrives. Should be here first week of December. Spending the time figuring out the upgrades/changes .
    The list so far goes as such:
    Hope Tech M4 brakes
    Mallet pedals
    Hope stem, spacers, rear QR, possibly blue
    Odi Ruffian grips blue rings

Scratching my head about the wheels and tires tho...
    What do you guys think, keep the Rovals or switch to Hope Pro3 AM4's?
    Tires are a bit easier, probably Highroller 2.3's

Just ride!
    I saw the new Enduro at a shop this weekend. While the bike may ride sweet, that is one ugly bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As a Specialized employee, I had the good fortune to ride several different iterations of the 2010 Enduro during development, including the final production version. Personally, love the bike. To me, it's light and pedals exceptionally well for such a capable machine.

As with all full suspension bikes, it's SUPER-IMPORTANT to take the time to dial-in the suspension settings to your personal preferences. Seemingly small changes of 5-10 PSI or just a couple clicks on damping can have a dramatic effect on feel and performance.

mtbr member
    As RedSweb said, 5 psi up or down makes a huge difference. At the Dealer Event when it was time to set up my ride, I mentioned to the mechanic the rocky terrain I ride and that I like plush. The mechanic suggested I take the bike on two consecutive runs. One set up as FOX said and one with +5psi in the back. The bike performed so much better with the extra pressure. The BB did not dive into the ground when railing corners or mashing up a hill. A little tip that should definitely be heeded. Fox knows their shocks...but Spec know how their bikes ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've heard What mountain bike magazine has tested it, has anyone seen the article? It didn't get too good mark - 3/5, so I am very curious what was wrong.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Similar marks in the MBUK mag, I think mostly down to the forks. MBUK tested the 2 step air and the What MTB was the S-works or the pro. They're very big publications in the UK though and get a very wide readership.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast