mtbr member

2010 Enduro expert size L handling problems

I'm having trouble feeling confidant on my new bike. This bike def climbs better than any bike I've ever ridden and it rips downhill.......as long as I keep the tires ON the ground. As soon as I launch it feels too large, unwieldy, unpredictable, and worst of all the front end tends to dive. I tend to come off the flat pedals and feel like feather in the wind. These are small 2-4' gaps I'm talking about, not even anything big. I expected this 6" bike to handle like a cross between my 7" freeride bike and my 4" 4x dirtjumper. I also ride a lot of xc and have been jumping motorcycles and bicycles since 1973. I am however new to all-mountain style of bike and suspect that this is a set-up issue or a learning curve issue. The bike is stock except for a 30mm stem, 28" riser bar, flat pedals, and tubless set up. I suspect that I need heavier tires and possible a coil shock however am wondering if I bought the wrong bike. Also it feels too long even though I am 6' and am told that this is the right size bike. Any advice is appreciated!!

mtbr member
    How tall are you and what is your inseam?

Erik

mtbr member
    6' tall and 32.5 inseam-

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    They are big bikes relative to most other brands so you may have been OK on a medium. I'm 5'9" and can ride a small or medium. That said you could try more rebound on the rear and a slightly firmer spring rate on the front. That should help keep the bike level off lips. I've done a couple of runs on mine at Whistler and while it doesn't feel DH bike stable it also doesn't pitch forward.

mtbr member
    Does your stance put you in the middle of the bike and upright or do you need to "stretch out" to keep the bike "flat" in the air? Are you still running the factory air shock? Flat pedals or clipless? Thnx

Waiting for peace
    Question: Have you looked at the setup specifications for your weight and riding style on the web?

You might find that the fork is set to rebound too fast and that the compression is also too fast.... fiddle with the knobs on the fork! Seriously though: try setting the sag to the shorter end of the spectrum to begin (20% of full travel).

The red knob on the bottom of the fork (disc side)is next: turn it all the way closed (full slow) now turn it the other direction about 15 clicks.

Now the blue knob: turn it to full slow then back it off about 10-11 clicks....

Try that and post up after you get a chance to ride it!!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I found the suggested shock AND fork settings to be pretty worthless on my 2010 Expert. I run more pressure in the rear. I run much less pressure in the fork with lower compression and slower rebound. It makes me wonder if the forks suggested settings were determined on a bike with a very different headtube angle or something.

For sizing, @ 6'3" with long arms and legs I am on a Large. I wish it was a little longer for climbing, but it feels perfect for descending.

EDIT: After reading your post through again, the part about your feet coming off of the pedals made me think your rear suspension is rebounding too fast, or you are loading to early. At the lip of the jump it could be bucking a little, just in the back, causing the front to angle down and making it hard to keep your feet on the pedals because it tosses you up a bit.
    Last edited by thrasher_s; 01-21-2011 at 01:27 PM.

I'm with stupid
    yeah sounds like a rear bucking forward off a lip. I have found you have to find a happy medium between fast rebound for fast DH stuff and slow enough that you dont get the bucking. Good luck it takes trial and error play with rebound settings on back and on front. front might be to slow while back being to fast which means front not boosting and back is, and unlike the motos we cant throttle to get the back end to come down.

mtbr member

Excellent feedback thanks

Thanks for the tuning tips!! I'll check those out and def let you know how it works out. I do wish I had bought a med....Whats a 6" bike for if not for descending! Aaaaargh.

mtbr member

Dialed!

Thanks for the tips, it was definitely a set-up issue. So comfortable on the bike now here is my personal set-up:

Fork:
    1) sag 33% 50psi
    2) rebound: 13 clicks in clockwise from full fast
    3) compression: 3 clicks in clockwise from full fast

Shock:
    1) sag 33% 160psi
    2) Rebound 4-5 clicks in clockwise from full fast

Tires: Maxxis Minion EXO 2.5
    Tubes: med weight
    30 psi

Short 30mm stem
    Wider 28" bars

The bike feels like a light freerider now, extremely stable in all conditions and still climbs well.

I weight 162 without gear, 6' tall, 32.5" inseam.

I'm with stupid
    Glad you got it all figured out and now things feel better.

mtbr member

thanks

Appreciate the forum....good stuff!