mtbr member

2010-2012 Enduro Shock Upgrade Options

I know this could be a short thread because the answer to the question "What options are there to upgrade (change) the shock on a 2010-2012 Enduro?" is: There are none. Well, there is (PUSH), but what if...

The CCDB Air is the much drooled over option. I like the sounds of the adjustability. It has high and low speed on both compression and rebound. But CCDB basically says to pound sand if you want to work on the damper yourself or even mention adapting the shock to the older Enduro. That combined with some other reliability issues I have read recently puts that one out of the running.

So what about the Rockshox Air shocks? There are parts, tools and manuals available so you can tear them down and even mod them yourself. What would make a better option for the Enduro? A Vivid Air R2C or Monarch Plus RC3? PUSH used to modify Monarchs to fit the Enduro. Apparently it is an easy(ish) operation to use the same yoke from the RP23.

There is nothing really wrong with my current RP23. It functions as it always has and doesn't lose pressure. I would like better high speed response for all the choppy rock I ride in and it would be nice to have a little better control on low speed hits (g-outs).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
    I know this could be a short thread because the answer to the question "What options are there to upgrade (change) the shock on a 2010-2012 Enduro?" is: There are none. Well, there is (PUSH), but what if...

The CCDB Air is the much drooled over option. I like the sounds of the adjustability. It has high and low speed on both compression and rebound. But CCDB basically says to pound sand if you want to work on the damper yourself or even mention adapting the shock to the older Enduro. That combined with some other reliability issues I have read recently puts that one out of the running.

So what about the Rockshox Air shocks? There are parts, tools and manuals available so you can tear them down and even mod them yourself. What would make a better option for the Enduro? A Vivid Air R2C or Monarch Plus RC3? PUSH used to modify Monarchs to fit the Enduro. Apparently it is an easy(ish) operation to use the same yoke from the RP23.

There is nothing really wrong with my current RP23. It functions as it always has and doesn't lose pressure. I would like better high speed response for all the choppy rock I ride in and it would be nice to have a little better control on low speed hits (g-outs).

CCDB air will work. It just has to have this slot machined into the eye on one side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    CCDB air will work. It just has to have this slot machined into the eye on one side.
    You've sparked my curiosity. Care to carry on, more in depth?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It's pretty simple that any machine shop should do in 10 minutes. The CCDB air I have was done by someone else, but here's what it looks like. (pic from vikingboy)

I've only had one ride with the CCDB so I can't comment on the performance too much yet. It takes a while to dial in the shock. It is heavier though. And as a bummer it does impede a bit on the water bottle space on a medium.

2010-2012 Enduro Shock Upgrade Options-p4pb8860057.jpg

mtbr member
    It could be the same operation on the CCDB Coil and Air to make them work with the Enduro yoke, but the air version looks like this:

2010-2012 Enduro Shock Upgrade Options-2012-cane-creek-double-barrel-air-rear-shock07.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It could be the same operation on the CCDB Coil and Air to make them work with the Enduro yoke, but the air version looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-Cane-Creek-Double-Barrel-Air-rear-shock07.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	877635
    Yep. Same deal. Like I said not my picture, but you get the idea. That slot needs to be machined into the left eyelet on the one in your picture.

mtbr member
    I suppose it has to be the same operation for any other shock I want to use as well. I won't use a Cane Creek shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Neat, thanks for posting this! What length shock from CC are you guys using?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kirklanddownhill View Post
    Neat, thanks for posting this! What length shock from CC are you guys using?
    Enduro size is 8.5x2.5. Xfusion vector would be another cool option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had the 2011 Enduro Expert frame and I would bottom the shock hard on what I considered small drops (~2 ft) or high speed g-outs . I weight about 170lbs with gear and I had to put around 190psi in the rear shock to get it to only bottom out a few times per ride. This left me with improper sag and a very harsh ride with terrible small bump compliance. After doing some research I decided to try the Fox volume spacer kit (about $25). It came with a small .2, medium .4, and larger .6 volume reducing spacers. I went with the medium spacer. I was able to put 165psi in the rear shock and achieve 30%. The small bump compliance is amazing and I have yet to bottom the rear even on 6ft drops. It totally transformed the bike for me. It's worth $25 to try it out. You can install the spacer without having to remove the shock from the bike too! It will take you just a few minutes.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    I had the 2011 Enduro Expert frame and I would bottom the shock hard on what I considered small drops (~2 ft) or high speed g-outs . I weight about 170lbs with gear and I had to put around 190psi in the rear shock to get it to only bottom out a few times per ride. This left me with improper sag and a very harsh ride with terrible small bump compliance. After doing some research I decided to try the Fox volume spacer kit (about $25). It came with a small .2, medium .4, and larger .6 volume reducing spacers. I went with the medium spacer. I was able to put 165psi in the rear shock and achieve 30%. The small bump compliance is amazing and I have yet to bottom the rear even on 6ft drops. It totally transformed the bike for me. It's worth $25 to try it out. You can install the spacer without having to remove the shock from the bike too! It will take you just a few minutes.

Good luck.
    Yeah, my rp23 needs a servicing (pro pedal no longer works), I was considering getting that done and trying out those spacers. Not terribly overwhelmed with the CCDB.

Anyone want a CCDB air modified for a 2010-2012 enduro?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    Yeah, my rp23 needs a servicing (pro pedal no longer works), I was considering getting that done and trying out those spacers. Not terribly overwhelmed with the CCDB.

Anyone want a CCDB air modified for a 2010-2012 enduro?
    I am super interested please contact me me i will Gladly buy the shock