Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2010, 2011, 2012 Enduro questions

I'm keen on getting an Enduro frame, as I like the short chain-stay and slack HT geo. I would build mine 1x9 or 1x10 with a guide and would prefer a coil shock eventually, all good?

Any problems or extra hassles with the propitiatory nature of Specialized bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Proprietary (strange clevis mount) shock mounting and strange size is a biotch. Other than that, the bike is absolutely amazing.
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp - Lyrik RC2 DH

mtbr member
    I had an 09 Stumpy Elite as it was the best I could afford at the time but really wanted the Enduro.
    Frame onlys in the uk are hard to come by, & I was lucky and managed to pick a crash replacement up with E160
    Just finished the build:
    Specialized Enduro Pro Frame
    Specialized E160 fork
    Raceface Responce 50mm stem
    Raceface Atlas AM low rise bars
    Shimano Saint Crank (22x36) with bash
    Shimano SLX shifters
    Shimano Saint 9 speed deraileur
    Hope Pro2 hubs (gold) with Mavic EN521 rims (10mm QR conversion to stiffen up rear)
    Scwable Nobby Nic tyres
    Speci Command Post dropper seatpost
    Hope V2 brakes with floating rotors 203(f) & 185(r)
    Custom Matt Black frame protection & Silver graphics

Rides like a dream
    Considering upgrading the shock bushes to needle bearings for extra plushnes.
    Buy one you wont be dissapointed :0)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any problems or extra hassles with the propitiatory nature of Specialized bikes?[/QUOTE]

Inquiring minds would like to know more

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Why doesn’t the Enduro come in 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
    For the application of this bike 26 is the way to go

Composites Advocate
    Sep 2010
    It's an awesome frame to build a do-it-all bike around. I've got a carbon version of the 2010 model, and love it. I have climbed steep technical sections that some of the XC'ers I ride with struggle on. It's hard work, and takes some technique, but it can climb, if not built too husky.

My only gripes have been that the 'Pro' level model came with a crummy wheelset and Spec-branded fork. I've had multiple warranty issues with both the Roval Traverse AL wheelset, and the FutureShock 160 TA fork.

I ride trails, mild-DH, and even street.
    2010 Specialized Enduro Pro

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zolies View Post
    It's an awesome frame to build a do-it-all bike around. I've got a carbon version of the 2010 model, and love it. I have climbed steep technical sections that some of the XC'ers I ride with struggle on. It's hard work, and takes some technique, but it can climb, if not built too husky.

My only gripes have been that the 'Pro' level model came with a crummy wheelset and Spec-branded fork. I've had multiple warranty issues with both the Roval Traverse AL wheelset, and the FutureShock 160 TA fork.

100% Awesome bikes..........the proprieatary nature of the shock can be a PITA but you can deal with it two ways.
    1) Buy the Evo - it comes with a Fox shox as stock.
    2) Adapt another shock. My Enduro build thread has details on a CCDB mod I worked on (click on the link in my sig)

mtbr member
    I Believe push sells a shock for the enduro. I think the rear shock is the only real sticking point. I guess the 2012 have 142+ wheels. I believe that isn't the same as 142 so that would be a huge PITA.

mtbr member
    How about option 3.
    Get the fork set up properly and then enjoy the 5yr warrenty and one one of the lightest 160/130 adjustable forks around.

Cant comment on the wheels as I switched them out straight away to Hope pro2 with Mavic En521's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMKNTRLS View Post
    Any problems or extra hassles with the propitiatory nature of Specialized bikes?
    Inquiring minds would like to know more [/QUOTE]

Yep 142+ rear hub width. Although aftermarket 142 hubs fit but not as common to find as 135 and 150 sizes. The + refers to the extended width by 2mm between the hub flanges to make a stronger spoke stance and therefore a stronger wheel. The hubs are still the same width overall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    does 142 hub can fit on 135 frame & vise versa..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 2010 Enduro Pro and love it. From long XC rides to taking it up to Whistler and the Northshore, it can do everything pretty well. It is a great climber and have had no issues with the bike. The Future 160 fork has been great to me and I plan on getting the rear shock sent to PUSH over the winter to dial it in. I am 220 and ride pretty hard, don't like having to put 280 psi in that thing.

Only thing I changed was going from 685mm bars to 750mm bars and it has been great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zolies View Post

I got mine built up w/fox 36 fit and custom set of flows/kings and i love it, almost 700 miles this year w/no issues w/wheels or fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewak_fsr View Post
    does 142 hub can fit on 135 frame & vise versa..
    Yes, but you'll need a hammer to complete the task

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2010 sworks here with fox 36 160mm and evo fox rc2 rear coil rolling on mavin cross ax wheelset. It climbs like a beast and goes down even better

Multiple Lines Rock
    Hi-could I ask one of you with a CARBON 2011 enduro to measure your head tube length? from bottom of frame to top from just above the fork arch to below the headset? thanks in advance

how about a EVO?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    Hi-could I ask one of you with a CARBON 2011 enduro to measure your head tube length? from bottom of frame to top from just above the fork arch to below the headset? thanks in advance

how about a EVO?
    Headtube length on the Enduro differs between the frame sizes. The measurments you can find on the Specialized homepage are pretty acurate in this case.

That would be:
    Size S 120mm
    Size M 130mm
    Size L 150mm
    Size XL 170mm

Multiple Lines Rock
    Mantra, thanks, I know where to find it on the website: here is my concern

I own a 2010, listed as 110mm for medium, and see the website lists a change to 2011 to
    130mm in Head tube length

I am trying to corroborate this by asking an actual enduro Medium owner to post the actual measurement in MM- to see if there was any change

Exhibit A
    Specialized Bicycle Components : EnduroSL Pro Carbon

vs

Exhibit B
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Enduro Pro

vs

Exhibit C
    fwiw, my 2010 medium has a HTH of 132.6mm to be exact
    according to their web site, it has always shown the 2010 enduro to have a medium HTH of 110mm

its inaccurate..by 22mm
    thats an inch off

we have found numerous other discrepancies on her safire year to year on their website as well where TT lengths are off by whole a CM

further, the website stipulates a change in actual seat tube angle, I also believe this to be erroneous marketing to try to get you to think they tweaked geometry year to year as the web site suggest when in fact, they did not- atleast on the carbon enduros. Careful measurement of 2010 frame vs 2011 frames reveals no change whatsoever in any angle or measurement, i use a transmission driveline gauge and digital calipers..

That said, Fox does not acknowledge any change in shock year to year, so long as you select the right tune model for the frame, they would sell you the same exact model number whether youre replacing a 2010 or a 2011 (and a 2012).

so, if its the same rear, same front and same shock, then there is really NO change despite the wrong geo numbers 2010 to 2012, minus the 142mm seatstay on the 2012; appears even wheelbase is unchanged 2011-12. I am just not sure I trust their numbers on anything..

Spech would have you believe that they changed stuff on the frame, its geo and the rear shock, according to a dealer (who also buys the website is right) the 2011 tho nothing to this effect can be found on the internet, and the alleged changes in geo 2010 to 2011 are false; and the published angles are off in many cases-for me, I want know that a bike publishing a 66.5HA doesnt build up as 65.7. Thats off and that is what I am seeing. I own 6 other bikes, and have done this on them as well, and 5 out of 6 check out matching what the Manufacturer says.

Given A,B and C:
    At what point can I hold specialized responsible for the error, I now own a frame I bought a certain year to get a certain geo, and they are off by 20mm on their website.
    who else owns a medium 2010 with a 132mm HTH?

thanks!
    Last edited by Acrophobe; 11-16-2011 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Given A,B and C:
    At what point can I hold specialized responsible for the error, I now own a frame I bought a certain year to get a certain geo, and they are off by 20mm on their website.
    who else owns a medium 2010 with a 132mm HTH?

thanks!
    Me and you are absolutely right...

There aren't any other differences in geometry (apart from 142mm in rear triangle), 3 years now...
    Specialized's metrics aren't accurate in 2010 Enduro.

mtbr member
    I posted on this last night but it doesnt show for some reason.
    If the info provided is inaccurate then it would be considered as false advertising and you would have a right to refund.
    However the small print will undoubtabley have an exception clause in which the manufacturer reserves the right to make changes which may cause the provided data to be incorrect.
    The fact youve left it 12 months before raising it as an issue wouldnt help you but give speci a phone and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mantra, thanks, I know where to find it on the website: here is my concern

I own a 2010, listed as 110mm for medium, and see the website lists a change to 2011 to
    130mm in Head tube length

I am trying to corroborate this by asking an actual enduro Medium owner to post the actual measurement in MM- to see if there was any change

Ok...in this case, my post wasn´t really helpfull

To be honest...I didn´t have noticed these differences in the geo charts till now, an because of this, I didn´t paid attention to this particular measurements on the Enduros which came accros my repairstand.
    This isn´t exactly what you asked for, but I´m pretty sure that Specialized told me that there was no technical change on the frame between 2010 and 2011 and further I can tell you, that a large 2010 M5 Enduro has the same HT-length than a large 2011 M5 Enduro.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I find it difficult to imagine they changed the jig/mould for such a tiny change given the fact this is the enduros third year and due refresh next year if spec stay with three year cycles (no pun intended!)

Awesome bikes regardless. Rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rear suspension travel

Quote Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
    I think most people would consider the Enduro a long travel bike.

Having 29 inch wheels means less travel. Every 29er I've read about has less travel if there is a corresponding 26 inch version. (Example, the Stumpjumper FSR 26 inch has more travel than the Stumpjumper FSR 29 inch). This is a frame and fork / standover design issue. You could have a 29er with 180mm inches of travel but who could stand over it? It would be huge.

The Stumpjumper is right between the XC Epic and Enduro in travel. And don't forget the Camber. Seems like a pile of models, and they all bleed at the end of their spectrums.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What are the hub options for a 2010 enduro? 135x??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast