mtbr member

2009 Stumpjumper FSR

I want to upgrade 3 things on my bike: wheelset, fork, and crankset. What are some good options, or maybe some that you have chosen? Just trying to get some ideas.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    To offer a recommendation to upgrade demands knowing what your current components are. Otherwise we might be recommending a downgrade. Right? Or just go to the very top of the line on everything. That would most likely do it.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Good call. I currently have:

1. Shimano FC-M542 crankset
    2. DT Swiss X420SL wheels with Specialized Hi Lo (front) and Shimano M525 SL (rear) hubs
    3. Fox Float 120 RL
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wouldn't replace any of those things other than the wheels unless you are having problems.

For wheels, the only recommendation I can give is anything that is stronger. I went with Stan's Flows, but you may not need that kind of strength.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you can pick up an XT crankset, go for that when the rings need replacing. I've got an 08 comp, was going to do that but just ended up with new rings. The fox fork is as good as you can get, so keep it serviced and keep it. Wheels, do you want light, strong or just visual bling?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd keep everything & only replace the drivetrain & wheels when they broke. The fork is one of the better models out there, at the most I'd send it to Push. You have a good bike, ride it & enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Crankset could be upgraded. SLX provides a lot of bang for the buck. I second the idea of sending your fork to Push. I believe they can turn it into an RLC and custom tune it for you.