mtbr member
    Oct 2008

2009 S-Works Epic Crankset help!!

Hello All,

I have a 2009 Epic S-Works that I am switching from XTR to SRAM. I already sold the XTR parts. Anyway - Initially I bought a Noir standard crankset and then found out it was a BB30 bike. I tried an adapter that didn't work. Then I bought a FSA BB30 crankset and that doesn't fit either. Apparently the BB shell is super wide (90ish mm).

The shops that I have tried know less than I do, so almost nothing. I need to get a crankset in there. What will work on this frame? What do I need to look for?

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any non-BB30(except GXP) cranks will fit with the same bearings from the XTR cranks. There's also the Specialized carbon cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I learned that this bike has Specialized OS BB. Will other cranks still work with this? Will the spindle be long enough? Sorry for being ignorant, but I truly appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    09....lightening osbb for spech. or spech. carbon cranks osbb.
    i gave up on spech....lifetime backorder.lol and lightening is pricey.
    just made an xtr a double w/ adapter bb that u had in your xtr setup.grany ..longer bolts w/ 2-2.5mm wide alum. washers/spacers. and a dh fsa 36 or 38 or 40 tooth chain ring 3.0mm wide in the middle position. low 700.grams w/ bb. no shifting ramps on either rings and no issues!feels solid also.prob. because its a dh 3.0mm thick chain ring.
    i too made the mistake and bout a bb30 crank.NOTthe same for spech. 09 frame. bb91/osbb

mtbr member
    You need the Sram press fit adapter made for Specialized. They are available from QBP, item CR2186. Your bike shop should be able to order them for you, although they are backordered now.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just to let you know. Specialized S-Works crankset is NOW available. Go to the site and check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic
    Just to let you know. Specialized S-Works crankset is NOW available. Go to the site and check it out.
    I ended up getting the lighter Lightning crank, which is the design for which Specialized acquired the patent.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"