mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2009 hardrock new fork?

hey everybody. last spring i got into mountain biking. i got a 2009 specialized hardrock disc and rode it stock all summer and fall. great bike and had lots of fun. i rode xc trails single track.

my bike: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=38433

this upcoming season i plan on riding much more. im planning a trip up to boyne mountain in michigan for a weekend of great downhill riding.
    i want to upgrade my fork because i heard a new fork will make worlds of difference in
    your bike. i also plan on buying used stem,bars,and seatpost from ebay (easton EA70)
    would there be anything better for upgrades i cant think of???

for the new fork i want to spend under 250 for sure
    i will looking at the rockshox recon silver and tora

tora: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...100+Mm+10.aspx
    recon:http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...l+Fork+10.aspx

are these good forks that will last me awhile? good place too buy?
    which one is the better value? thanks alot, colin

Fat-tired Roadie
    A new fork wouldn't make much difference on my bike, I already have one.

Both of the forks you linked to are moderately well-reputed as chassis, but the turnkey damper has a bit of a bad rap. Do some reading. You may still decide to go for them, and people say they can install the motion control damper afterwards, but if you can get a RS fork that has it in the first place, that might be better.

IMO, getting a new cockpit is not a very good value unless you also improve the fit of your bike when you do it. Why not add that money to your fork budget, and get something a little better? The MTBR favorites are the Tora 318 (has the Motion Control damper - not the same as the TurnKey damper) and, lately, the Manitou Match.

Your year ships with an 80mm fork, right? Doesn't mean you can't use a bigger one, but I'd recommend sticking with forks that you can at least adjust back to 80mm. Adding ride height sometimes messes things up (and always voids your warranty, if you care.)

I love my Hardrock, but I think if I was spending a weekend doing lift-served, I'd rent a downhill bike.

Now that you've got a season on your Hardrock, take some time to go over it - all the bearings, all the wear surfaces, etc. and make sure nothing's worn out yet. That'll change your upgrade plans pretty quickly. If it's all good, wheels and brakes are good upgrades too. If your shifting is still working consistently, I wouldn't mess with the drivetrain yet. A new crank is going to be a must sooner or later.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the answer. I guess I will not upgrade my bars or anything of that matter.
    I think the manitou match is a good buy or the rs tora 318
    http://roadanddirtcyclery.com/catalo...rbosses-p-1241
    Is this a good place to buy?
    How much longer will my cranks last and how much is that to fix??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i found a RS recon sl on ebay for 160 used.
    is this a good deal?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1153

Fat-tired Roadie
    That Recon has the "right" cartridges. They show up elsewhere on the 'net for $300.

The question with suspension forks is always "how used?" Mine needed a rebuild when I got it, which added to the cost. But that one looks like it's seen very little mileage. The travel adjustment is spacers, I think. If you're good with your hands, those should be no big deal to install, and you may decide you like your bike better with a little more travel. Well-reputed headset thrown in too.

It doesn't look too good to be true, but it looks good. Read some reviews, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    this is all very confusing. i will just spend the extra money and buy at my local bike shop. they have both the match and recon or tora in stock and they price check. thanks for all your help. you helped me in the right direction.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Pics when you get it installed.

official eMpTyBRain
    If you are handy enough to install the new fork and or other pastrs yourself, you would definately save money buying online from eBay. It can save you a considerable amount on $$$!

Always buy "NEW", otherwise you are simply buying somebody else's problems...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I picked up a nice used Tora air for my hardrock for about $100, its a 100mm fork but works great on the bike.
    80-100 will work fine for you.
    I cut the steer tube down a bit to match the stock one off the bike and installed it myself.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you are going to keep with mountain biking, learn to rebuild your fork! It will save you tons of money, time, and is pretty fun/satisfying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    If you are going to keep with mountain biking, learn to rebuild your fork! It will save you tons of money, time, and is pretty fun/satisfying.
    any ideas where to learn this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Some bike shops might offer clinics. Or a local club.
    Personally, I have rebuilt an old 2002 Manitou SX and my 2011 RockShox Lyrik RC2 DH SoloAir with no instruction whatsoever. Whatever fork you get, just look up documentation for it. For example, RockShox posted up a video of how to rebuild a SoloAir operated fork on YouTube; they also have an excellent technical documents section.
    Just an example, here is a PDF file telling me everything I need to know about my fork available free on the internet:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rocks...cal-Manual.pdf

Here is the manual for the Recon Silver:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rocks...cal-Manual.pdf

Both found here:
    http://www.sram.com/en/service/rocks...ch_manuals.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    maybe i will rebuild my old fork once i purchase my new one. just it case something goes wrong hahahah

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigc2137
    maybe i will rebuild my old fork once i purchase my new one. just it case something goes wrong hahahah
    That's a good idea. Practice makes perfect. You will probably have a bit of a time rebuilding your stock fork, however, as most low end (no offense) forks are not very serviceable.

Another option is to keep your Hardrock as it is and save up for a full suspension bike!

Fat-tired Roadie
    These guys have pictorial instructions for a lot of forks. They're not necessarily as up-to-date as might be desirable, but if they include your fork, their instructions are great.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Wheels are the best upgrade you could do on your bike, fork is next on the list

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Too late!!! My new fork is on the way =)
    What's a good wheelset for a good price for future?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    my new fork
    fox f100 RLC 2009
    price: 200 shipped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 hardrock new fork?-photo-1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've been lusting after a set of Mavic 719s on something. Probably either an XT 6-bolt hub or one of the DT hubs - BWW has pretty great prices on complete wheels. DT 5.1 hubs are pretty well-regarded too.

You can get that wheelset down to $300. Doesn't mean there aren't better deals floating around, of course.

In general, I think mountain bikes should have 32-spoke 3-cross wheels. Conservative, unsexy, but sturdy and easy to maintain.

Mountain Man Dan
    Where the hell did you get that fork for $200?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    Where the hell did you get that fork for $200?
    an amazing man on the forum

Mountain Man Dan
    Well WTH!!! I want one too!!!!!!!!!!
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That would be really cool if you would finish paying the guy who sold you the fork in the first place! Especially if you had a deal worked out with him! You shouldn't do that to a fellow mountainbiker trying to help you out!