mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2009 Epic expert carbon / bash guard install

I have just installed a bash guard on my 2009 Epic expert carbon. i am having problem adjusting front derailer so it does not throw the chain on to bash guard. I need to limit the outer movement and am not able to figure it out.... I admit to not being the most mechanical person but thought I should be able to solve this one.
    thanks
    Cros

bi-winning
    There are two small screws on the front derailleur. One labeled H the other L. Turn the screw labeled H clockwise until it limits the derailleur's range of motion enough to stop it from throwing the chain.

In a worst case scenario, you might need a longer screw.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've already tried adjusting high and low screws for about an hour! ( Sorry - I should have made my initial posting more detailed.)
    thanks

bi-winning
    Screw in the H screw all the way. If that does not limit it sufficiently, a longer screw might help. If you can't find one, the other adjustment you can make is to turn the barrel adjuster on the shifter clockwise, such that the shifter does not pull as much cable, and hopefully does not throw the chain.

If you run out of adjustment with the barrel adjuster, you can loosen the pinch bolt on the derailleur that pinches the cable, and pinch the cable slightly further down the cable, such that the cable is slightly more slack.

If all you have done is swap a big ring for a bash guard, there should never have been a need to touch the L screw, which limits how far the derailleur can move towards the frame.

for general info on front derailleur adjustment, see Park:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

bash

thanks. I'll give it a try in the AM.