mtbr member
    Oct 2012

2009 Enduro SL expert Shock + Fork upgrade, worth it ?

Here is my dilemma, I have awesome 2009 model enduro sl expert, with 36 Talas (160) at front and DHX5 Air at rear. Bike is great, i love it, but something makes me want to try Talas 36 (180) at front, now i found one secondhand and I would like to try, but its still money and i could use it to something else as well. So if there is anyone who has upgraded to same 180mm talas 36 fork, let me know how the bike is with it, is it worthy upgrade ?
    All opinions are welcome.

Also, how about rear, lets say I go for the 180 fork upgrade, and for some strange reason i feel like i have to do something for the shock as well. What are my options for upgrading DHX5 air, has anyone tried CCDB air on this set up, or anything else ?

My riding is mostly downhill, also do some up pedaling but, im willing to suffer a bit when it comes to a climb if downhill parts get better.

Dirt Junkie
    Do you feel that 160mm in the front is not enough? Do you bottom the fork regularly? I've got a 36 Float R on my '08 Enduro, I weigh 210lbs and do regular 3-4 ft drops and have never.....never bottomed the front fork.....ever.

If you have then go ahead, spend $$$. Have fun. Post pics!

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cant really say if its enough or not, because never tried more than that, and no, i do not bottom the 160mm regularly. I admit, im new to full suspension bikes, well not new but last time i bought one, it was way back in 1994 and i had Marzo DH3 fork, which was the **** back then with 75mm travel, and we managed with it. Now recently made comeback to mountainbiking, it feels great and 160mm travel in front feels awesome, so im just wondering, how does 180mm feel on my enduro, will that affect negatively on my bikes performance or not ? Is it just more travel to play with the expense of climbing uphills ?
    Dont know, thats why im asking

mtbr member
    I am also looking at upgrading my 2006 Enduro Expert from a Talas 36/160 to the 180 Talas. With the ability to reduce it to 140 for climbs, seems like a win/win. 160 - 180 just adds an extra 3/4" of travel, so seems like it shouldn't have any negative impact on the geometry. But then again, maybe it really won't add that much benefit either?

1:18
    I have 160 Talas on mine and it's been great. The geo is slack, close to 66 angle and I don't think it's worth putting on the 180. It would mess up the geo and warranty.

As for the rear, I went from DHX Air to DB Air. The Fox wasn't bad, but the DB Air is in a different universe. It has a huge range of adjustments - with quick adjusting tool such as this one: Cane Creek DBCoil/DBAir Knurled Thumb Tool by slackard on Shapeways - it's easy to pedal uphill. But when things get rough, the DB Air really shines. It's not easy to achieve proper setup, but once you're close, it is amazing. I remember on my first few rides it felt as if someone smoothed my home trails. It's not exactly cheap, but it's worth every cent, plus you have a great support from CC guys.

So I'd keep the fork (maybe convert to Float if you don't use travel adjust), but I'd consider upgrading the rear for Vivid Air or better, DB Air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
    I have 160 Talas on mine and it's been great. The geo is slack, close to 66 angle and I don't think it's worth putting on the 180. It would mess up the geo and warranty.

As for the rear, I went from DHX Air to DB Air. The Fox wasn't bad, but the DB Air is in a different universe. It has a huge range of adjustments - with quick adjusting tool such as this one: Cane Creek DBCoil/DBAir Knurled Thumb Tool by slackard on Shapeways - it's easy to pedal uphill. But when things get rough, the DB Air really shines. It's not easy to achieve proper setup, but once you're close, it is amazing. I remember on my first few rides it felt as if someone smoothed my home trails. It's not exactly cheap, but it's worth every cent, plus you have a great support from CC guys.

So I'd keep the fork (maybe convert to Float if you don't use travel adjust), but I'd consider upgrading the rear for Vivid Air or better, DB Air.
    What year model enduro you have ? May I see photo with the DBair ? Im really interested about this shock upgrade

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Now I got offer from right size CCDBair, but will it fit to my 09 enduro, I mean physically, not too bulky or anything ? My frame is M-size. If someone could confirm this, would be great.

I have it on 09 Enduro SL. It'll fit, there's plenty of room.

Make sure you use CC hardware, it works best with those (RS have too slack tolerances and Fox ones won't work OK - at least the 3-piece ones).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had a lyrik solo air DH on the front of my sworks SL at 170mm then lowered it to 160 and it felt better at 160 (25-30% sag) for what I do which includes pedalling up the hills. Now run a Van 160 and love it the best. SL seems OK with RP23 and goes fine with the Van up front. I usually leave the platform on because it makes it pop off things better as well as pedal better. I have a Ti coil vivid but don't use it much anymore as hinders the pedalling too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, I think I will go for CCDB air upgrade. Still thinking about the fork, would like to hear from someone who has had or is having 180mm fork at the moment. My only concern is that will it spoil my bikes geometry.
    Also as alternative I was thinking of going 650b at front, but my current fork wont take 650b x 2.35 Hans Dampf

Run the calculator: geometryCalc

Stock fork Fox 150 is 521 mm + 8 mm spacer. As said, you'd have a very slack angle on front with 180 mm, around 65 and higher BB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a x fusion vengance 170 DLA ( will take a 650b )
    It was ok with the rear shock set in the higher location not bad at all
    I found for me though with the rear shock in the lower location it wasn't very good too slack not responsive on single track, front end lifting when climbing
    I really prefer the 140 setting to be honest all round

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Little update. Went and put 650b front wheel, my opinion is that it made huge difference, very happy with this. Now Im still waiting my CCDB air to arrive, but at the same time looking for new fork. Will stick to 160mm, fox float 36 would be something i want to try, but most of the 2nd hand forks are with tapered steerer tube, my head tube is 1 1/8 all the way. Tried to do some googling if there is a way to fit tapered fork to my bike or is it just silly idea and i should keep on looking till i find Float 36 with 1 1/8 steerer ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Little update. Went and put 650b front wheel, my opinion is that it made huge difference, very happy with this. Now Im still waiting my CCDB air to arrive, but at the same time looking for new fork. Will stick to 160mm, fox float 36 would be something i want to try, but most of the 2nd hand forks are with tapered steerer tube, my head tube is 1 1/8 all the way. Tried to do some googling if there is a way to fit tapered fork to my bike or is it just silly idea and i should keep on looking till i find Float 36 with 1 1/8 steerer ?
    You couldn't fit a tapered steerer tube on your bike. If you had a straight 1.5in headtube, you could do either a straight 1 1/8 or a tapered.

Keep looking and you'll find one. I just recently bought a new second-hand 2012 van rc2 for $700 and it is awesome on my enduro sl. The only thing that I don't like is having to switch the spring out depending on what trails I ride. I use this bike for everything so on the lighter xc trails, I have to use the light spring to get it like butter. But on all the other trails, just pure butter.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/