mtbr member
    Dec 2009

2008 Stumpjumper S-Works or 2010 Stumpjumper Pro Carbon?

I am looking at both bikes and have a shop offering a big discount on the 2008 S-Works since it is now 2 model years old now. Both are new (never ridden). Can anyone make a recommendation? I know that the S-Works has better components but since technology changes every year, I'm curious if the 2010 model would be a better choice.

One thing I noticed is that Specialized changed the way the rear shock is mounted this year. Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by FL_Andy; 12-21-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Picture Unrelated
    Are they both your size? I'm assuming they are, but that is the first question I would ask.

There is not much that pushes me toward one bike or the other. The S-works has better brakes, though I never was fond of that particular wheel set. The '10 has the newest suspension setup, and similar shifting components, but isn't fully top dollar.

Now I may be going against the grain here, but if it were me and those bikes were the same price, I would go with the '10. Replacing parts on an XT level bike (particularly the chainrings) is far cheaper than XTR. But if the '08 is substantially cheaper, then by all means, pick that thing up because it is really, really nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Very hard choice. I was sceptical about the 2010,(longer travel mainly) but have gone from the 08 S Works to the 2010 S Works. The 2010 is the better bike but it is fairly marginal but it climbs a little better and descends noticeably better. However there is something about an S Works and that 08 is an amazing bike, gaining rave reviews. I love both but am very happy I have gone for 2010.
    If it was a straight choice S Works like for like, I would def go 2010, can't you try or a killer deal on the 2010 S Works?.It is worth denying yourself treats for the next year.
    Your choice is harder but I won't sit on the fence, if I had to make your choice I would go for the 08 S Works, because it is an S Works. Don't be put of by those wheels, they were amazing for over a year and stayed true and bearings as good as new, with alot of UK abuse(rain etc), they look better in black though

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks everyone. I ended up going with the 08' S-Works since it was $500 less and I went way beyond my budget to begin with.

I agree on the wheel set, black is better but I think that I'll be happy.

Picture Unrelated
    nice, have fun, that bike rips

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What size is it? I have an 08 S-works stumpy/ fully loaded/full XTR w/ only 50 hrs. of total use for sale for $2900. It's an XL. how tall are you?
    mark@westernspirit.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I use a medium frame but I'll ask around. That's a great price.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sevnoff
    What size is it? I have an 08 S-works stumpy/ fully loaded/full XTR w/ only 50 hrs. of total use for sale for $2900. It's an XL. how tall are you?
    mark@westernspirit.com
    Totally shameless spam