mtbr member

2008 Stumpjumper FSR Elite Bearing Kit

Hey all,

Upon my next full tear down/clean I want to replace all my bearings. Can anyone confirm that this is the right kit:

FSRxc 06-08 BEARING KIT

from here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id211.html

The part number is coming up as SBK-SPE-4.

Also, are they're any custom/special tools necessary? I have a lot of different bearing tools from various hobbies, but without seeing the new ones I'm not sure if I have what I need.

Thanks!

Howell, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Hey all,

Upon my next full tear down/clean I want to replace all my bearings. Can anyone confirm that this is the right kit:

FSRxc 06-08 BEARING KIT

from here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id211.html

The part number is coming up as SBK-SPE-4.

Also, are they're any custom/special tools necessary? I have a lot of different bearing tools from various hobbies, but without seeing the new ones I'm not sure if I have what I need.

Thanks!
    I can't imagine with having an 08 you would be in need of bearing replacement. I'm not telling you you don't but it seems unlikely.

I clean out and re lube all my pivot bearings once a year, but have an 04' epic and the bearings are still fine.

Mark
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

dog lover-not in that way
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr1
    I can't imagine with having an 08 you would be in need of bearing replacement. I'm not telling you you don't but it seems unlikely.

I clean out and re lube all my pivot bearings once a year, but have an 04' epic and the bearings are still fine.

Mark
    I've got an 08 SJ FSR and had to have my pivot bearings replaced earlier this year; there was a ton of play in the rear triangle.

Howell, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by 417markg
    I've got an 08 SJ FSR and had to have my pivot bearings replaced earlier this year; there was a ton of play in the rear triangle.
    If you have play, you need bearings for sure. It makes sense. My epic doesn't have near the travel of your SJ.
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by 417markg
    Did you do this work yourself?

dog lover-not in that way
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Did you do this work yourself?
    No, my lbs did it. IIRC it was $60 parts and labor.

Fat Biker
    I rebuilt my SJ Pro this summer. Found 1 bearing that was rusty (bad seal I guess) the others I was able to clean and repack. a bearing puller/press is definitely needed to avoid damage. Fortunatly I have all the tools available at work

Individual bearings are
    BB Pivot and S-Link at frame pivot: bearing part# 6802RS
    Dropout Pivot and S-Link at seatstay pivot: bearing part# 6800-2RS

Make sure you torque the bolts to spec. under/over torquing can lead to problems.
    PM me if you need values
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My pivot bearing on my '08 Stumpjumper were severely seized up after about 6 months. I simply removed, flushed and repacked them and it was like riding a new bike. If the bearing have any play in them they need to be replaced but I would recommend flushing and repacking them as early as possible as a seized bearing could cause dammage to the frame.

turtles make me hot
    I had to replace the bearings in my 08 Stumpjumper at the one year mark.
    I like turtles

ryanmtnman
    Apr 2010
    You guys happen to know the specs for an 07 stumpy bearing kit. I need to replace all of my bearings... and want to order by bearing not by kit...