mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert.

I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new in the box 08 Enduro Expert through my LBS for around 2k. With an upcoming trip to Moab, Durango, and Keystone I am thinking this bike may be more fitting for such a trip then my 11 Stumpjumper FSR 29'er. Now that this bike as been out for several years on the trails does anyone have any input on this? Most of the reviews I found seemed to love the bike but they were kinda old reviews. Some reported problems with the fork and shock, Specialized house brand. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Phew , Just a few minutes trawling through here should tell you all you need to know.
    Basically the S.L. wasnt very well received because ,,,, Most bike producers build a bike frame and fit susspension componenets that are available on the open market to it I.E. Fox - Rock shox ETC, What Spesh tried to do with the S.L. is deliver a lightweight full suss Enduro bike with a bespoke "in house" susspension system developed exspecially for it - and in theory that is brilliant , Just imagine a bike designed from the ground up by top susspension boffins , with the correct A to C length fork and shock designed to work for the exact geometrical angles of that frame - Should have been a winner , but where they went wrong was they rushed the job , They rushed 07 bikes into the shops without propper design and testing , and people ended up with Air hocks that blew out - Fork Lowers that were poorly engineered and incorectly cast - and Fork Cartridges that failed on mass . In Spesh,s defence they honoured every fail free of charge , and got their tech bods working night and day to rectify the faults , and by the following year 2008 the initial glitches were sorted out, BUT - BY THEN THE DAMAGE WAS DONE.
    The S.L. name was tarnished and a year later Spesh went back to fitting out sourced forks.
    I myself bought a 2007 Enduro and had - A replacement shock & upgraded cartridges within the first six months - . and in all honesty it has been brilliant ever since, an awesome bike that loves to rip up single track , has huge gulps of "buttery" smooth susspension (now its been sorted) along with a whole host of top quality parts - and theres plenty of riders on here who will back me up.
    So theres my story - "sad but true" The whole concept should have blown em all away but it went tits up . if your buying a 2008 it "SHOULD" have susspension componenets that have been upgraded.
    Finally , dont you go paying 2 K for it - its a 2008 and 4 years past its sell by date so theyre gonna want rid of it -. So offer em 1500 - 1750 - you can always go up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just make sure the shop your getting from confirm with Specialized that the 5 year warranty on the fork and shock is from the time of purchase and not the age of the bike. Who knows, if they go bad you might end up with upgraded stuff. :-0

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Just make sure the shop your getting from confirm with Specialized that the 5 year warranty on the fork and shock is from the time of purchase and not the age of the bike. Who knows, if they go bad you might end up with upgraded stuff. :-0
    Phone calls from LBS to Specialized are happening Monday. The 5 year warranty is a main concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Those bikes are MONEY! I had an 07 that got upgraded to the 08 internals. I LOVED it. I sold it for no good reason. I should have kept it for sure. Those bikes were uber-stiff and really rocked on the trail. I took it out of the slack setting for about a month and quickly went back. I raced that bike in 100milers, 12 hour events and generally rode the snot out of it. I'm 185lbs and ride aggressively so it fit me perfectly. I rode it with 2.3" WTB Exiwolf tires all day long in the gnar and it loved me right back.

Get it but pay less than $2k for it. If it's the full Sworks bike, MAYBE $2k but for the Expert, I'd push them down and offer $1k then work them back up. $2k is too much.

mk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree the 07-09 enduros are awesome bikes. Really haven't gotten their due in some ways. I love teh dual crown fork, too bad its about a 3/4 lb penalty compared to a single crown but the travel adjust, the stiffness, the look, its great. I haven't had any problems with my '07, although just on principle we swapped out internals when the upgrade came out just in case. I recently had it s-tuned and it is working super awesome for me. In fact I am really questioning why I just ordered a new '12 s-works stumpjumper 29 frame, having a bit of buyers remorse. We'll see how much I cry after I ride it though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just talked to LBS again. 5 year warranty on shock starts the date I purchase the bike so no worries there.
    New question has emerged. LBS can get me on a 2012 Enduro Evo for the same $$ as the 08 model. Which is a better bike? I know the 12 will have lesser components but from a design standpoint which will perform better? I have read some reviews that say the 12 leans more towards DH while the 08 leans more towards trail. I need something that can still climb good and blast the DH.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Hmmmm really enjoying this thread - No idea what to advise , I know at the end of 2010 all the Spesh range took one step up the ladder - I.E. the Epics got more Stumpy - The Stumpys got more Enduro - and the Enduro,s got more big hit, ?? -
    But MTB,s in general have evolved a lot in the last 5 yeras - we now consider Tapered headsets - 2X10 drivetrain set ups , and stuff like kashima as the norm, So it depends if you want to invest in old tech - Its still a good bike , but the 2012 enduro EVO,s is an awesome bike - perhaps you should revise your riding style and go for it - GO LARGE.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Comparing the normal enduro to the SL means a small step towards DH vs XC, but the Enduro Evo is a much larger step. If you like to ride up so you can ride down, then its not a bad move, but if you want to XC in a more meaningful way then the SL or at least a normal Enduro ('10-'12) is a better choice. People rave about how well the 10-12 enduro climbs for an AM bike, but the EVO version is going to add a few more lbs and head angle degrees, I do not see it as a pleasant climber or XC machine.

mtbr member
    What Preston said. If you are going to shuttle occasionally for the big stuff or start really hammering a lot of downhill trails, the Evo is pretty money. If you just want a stiff bike for trail riding, the Enduro sl is already just a bit overkill.

On fs bikes, it's tough. Can you just get the new enduro instead of the evo? What about just getting yourself a new stumpy? The new stumpys are stiffer than the older stuff while also lighter. The stump with thru-axle will get you most of the way there towards the old sl with newer, lighter parts with a longer service life.

Get a stumpy if you can...

mk

adamant
    Sep 2006
    I rode both 2008 Enduro Expert (M5) and Enduro Pro (Carbon). Amazing bike for Moab. A bit slow (climbing) but worth it b/c of the fun-factor on the down riding Front Range. Climbs well and you can drop the fork to 110mm for super-steep climbs.

Keystone...do you mean riding the lifts..and a lot? if so, think about the Enduro EVO. I rode my Enduro Pro for a season at Trestle (including the 12 hr Red Bull DH race). It was ok there, but a slacker head tube (Enduro Evo) & chain guide will be a big plus if you ride lifts a lot.

Consider...since you already have a good XC bike, think about getting a bike w/more pronounced differences from your current ride. The 2007-09 Enduro is a good bike if you only have one & like to climb but love the down. If you're going to have two bikes, go bigger w/travel....think about the Enduro EVO...good for shuttling & riding lifts. I bet you'd be ok climbing in Moab on the EVO.

also what others said here, $2k is kinda steep for a 4 year old model.

PS 12/30/11 on the Enduro: Portal sub 6 min, from the overlook to the road. Yup its a great trail bike.