mtbr member

2008 S-Works Stumpjumper rear shock?

I am waiting for my 2008 s-works stumpjumper to be delivered and am starting to get worried about the What if's.
    What if the rear shock blows?
    What if the front fork blows?
    Am i going to be sitting with an expensive bike i can't ride?
    So here is my question,the front fork is not a problem as i think using a headset adaptor i can put a normal fork in the bike although the bottom headset bearing sits quite high in the headtube.
    The rear shock,can that be replaced by something else?The triad that they spec on the lower models must work,but what about a rp23 or dt shock and what size?
    Does 7.25"X1.75"=190mm-50mm stroke?
    Imagine a s-works stumpjumper with the new carbon DT rear shock.Nice:

mtbr member
    I have ridden a few 2008 models and have found one where the terralogic on the front fork was not working hence my worries.

mtbr member
    190mm = about 7.5inches and 50mm = about 2 inches

mtbr member
    May 2007

I understand your concerns

Chille,
    Having two of the 07 Enduro Sl Experts in my household, I understand your concerns.
    Mine having problems, my wife's no problems. (definately not as many hours on her bike)

The S-works Stumpy is as trick as it gets, but as you are well aware, also one of the most expensive bikes out there.
    For example a Ibis SL WTF build:
    WTF Kit : XTR drivetrain, Easton bars & post, Stan's ZTR wheels, Manitou Minute MRD (weight w/o pedals 21.9 lbs)
    at $1000 less than the stumpy and with 50 count em - five chile reviews!

Don't know what your intended use is so it may not fit your need. XC or Trail bike.
    It's sad you have a new potentially fantastic bike on the way, but your already making contingency plans, more money, just in case.

I don't blame you to be worried, based on all the Epic, Enduro Sl suspension woes.

I really like how my bike performs, but if there was a poll would I buy another one? I would have to vote no due to the hassles I have experienced.
    At the price of these bikes there are many alternatives with proven suspension components.

The worst part of it the LBS has the famous line: "You are the only one we have had problems with." while another larger bike shop says, "yeah we have had every 07 Enduro come back for suspension problems."

Also poor IMO is all is mum at Specialized except "here's a new part" , we have had some QC problems. Denial of design problems is not good customer service. I am on my forth shock and I still can't fiqure out my sag issue with my fork. They should just offer 07 owners a 36 Talus and equiv. shock as replacement. Seem like a Weapons of Mass Destruction thing.

Chille,
    Sounds like it may be too late to change your mind, maybe they have everything sorted.
    Let hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sideup
    The worst part of it the LBS has the famous line: "You are the only one we have had problems with." while another larger bike shop says, "yeah we have had every 07 Enduro come back for suspension problems."
    Well said!
    Must have gone in about 12 bike shops, some spesh dealers others not with my problems and every bloody bike shop come out with one of those lines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I went through 3 AFR Brain shocks on my Epic in 07. I asked my local shop to find out if they fixed all the problems from 07. My dealer forwarded me an email from a Spec engineer about the changes in 08 and stated they were building me a new shock and will next day it after they test it.
    In 3 days I received the new shock and I'm happy to say it's finally perfect. The firm setting is very "Race" firm. It only opens up under good size hits.
    I love it.
    Hopefully it'll last me the race season.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I haven't seen any negative feedback on the 2008 shocks. If you've already ordered the bike, then just ride it and address it if it's a real problem.

My 2008 29er is awesome. The AFR works like a champ - the range of action of the shock is broad and setting changes work well. I had a Fox brain on another FSR - the new shock works much better than the Fox design.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a 2008 S-Works Stumpjumper and have no problems with the rear shock or front shock. I only got the bike two weeks ago so time will tell. I had a 07 Stumpjumper Carbon Pro and had a problem with the brain on the rear shock, I called the dealer and Specialized red label the shop a brand new shock without me even going to the dealer to show them the problem. So I am pretty satisfied with the way Specialized took care of the problem so fast and I wouldn't hesitate on getting the 2008.

mtbr member
    Have ridden 2 s-works stumpjumpers 2008 and was blown away.But like i said,one of them already had a problem with the front fork(terralogic not working).If it all works it will definately be my new race bike.Far faster than any of the epics i owned and climbs better.I think the epic will follow this design for 2009.I always felt the epic had too long a chainstay for a race bike but they can't make it shorter because of where the rear shock is placed.The 2008 stumpjumper is closer to racebike than trailbike.Makes me happy.Even Sauser raced the 08 stumpy in his last race and was very impressed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    a complete redesign on the epic eh, thats great news since i just bought an 08 epic lol, on the plus side i love the bike and have had no issues with the AFR, i ride it almost fully open and the brain retains its platform, no bob, it just works when its supposed to

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Stop worrying. Specialized will take care of any suspension problems 10 times faster than Fox or any company would. I usually get Specialized suspension parts in a day or two whereas Fox takes several weeks.

mtbr member
    It might be ok if you are in the USA or UK but i am in South Africa.Some friends of mine who had problems with 07 epic shocks had to wait for a month to get a replacement hence the worry.In smaller countries it is difficult enough to just get the bikes let alone replacement parts or backup spares.Waiting 3 weeks for rear derailer hanger for my road bike.Perhaps it 's just the agent hear thats not good.I know agents are supposed to to have rear shock on hand to swop out if there is a problem but do you think they will do the same for the front forks.