View Poll Results: 2008 Epic Marathon which frame?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9m FACT Carbon

34 59.65%
  • M5 Aluminum

23 40.35%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pedal Power
    Aug 2006

2008 Epic Marathon

If the price difference between the 9m FACT Carbon and the M5 Aluminum Epic Marathon is no problem for you, which would you buy?

mtbr member
    Have you finally decided to go with the Epic? or your still gathering info? Well we are in the same situation. Can't really decide between the Stumpjumper & the Epic. But to answer your poll I would definitly go with the carbon since its lighter and more forgiving (from what I've heard). Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I ride a carbon road bike but when i just bought my new mtb I went for aluminium. Just feel personally that it makes more sense with the terrain you'll be riding on and the higher chance of crashing. On my second ride, which I was riding hard on, I crashed in a tight fast corner. The bike slid on the path with a rock scraping a 3 inch scratch on the down tube through to the bare metal. I wouldn't of fancied it being a carbon frame, but it depends totally how you feel. For me mtb = metal!

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 8seconds
    Have you finally decided to go with the Epic? or your still gathering info? Well we are in the same situation. Can't really decide between the Stumpjumper & the Epic. But to answer your poll I would definitly go with the carbon since its lighter and more forgiving (from what I've heard). Good luck.
    Yeah It's gonna be the Epic I'm going with it's just a decision on frame material now.. I'm going with the Epic because I want to also do quite a bit of onroad riding where the Epic will be a lot more efficient.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i vote the aluminium epic marathon, ive tried one out so i know how cool it is, as far as the ride goes i probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference between it and an aluminium version, also the boss of my bike shop ordered an epic marathon aluminium for himself, he said a carbon frame only needs to fall on something sharp or be hit the right way and thats the end of it, im thinking to myself this guy should know hes an ex austrian downhill champion, bike mechanic, and still races and rides on a regular basis, thats good enough for me

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    darkest_fugue, you have a lot of good reasons (I think) about why you don't like carbon, but it still boggles my mind that bike manufactures would choose carbon as the material on their top end bikes if it's so bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    its not bad, im just a clumsy person who wouldnt trust myself with something so expensive, i think carbon frames are for people that have the means that they arent worried about breaking it, they can just shrug their shoulders go oh well, and replace it, which is a great position to be in, lets face it, if your paying 7 grand for an s works stumpjumper you either have the means to maintain the bike, or your living beyond your means, i know a lot of people where i live that buy performance cars and they start complaining about how much the petrol costs are, if you buy a car like that the last thing you should be worried about is putting petrol in it!!!

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Good point. All I'm really after is buying my dream bike that I won't have to upgrade anything on for a long time, something to satisfy me for years to come. To me carbon seems superior but I don't know enough about mountain biking to know if maybe carbon isn't the right choice, the most expensive bike I've ever owned was more than 6x less than the cost of a mid range Epic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    a carbon frame may well never break but i think the people who ride them dont care about this issue, they'll just replace it if it does and not think that much of it, try them and see for yourself, after you try the epic marathon aluminium though i think youll realise its enough bike for anyone

mtbr member
    M5 Aluminum! Also congrats on your decision. The Epic is a great bike.

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gflash
    M5 Aluminum! Also congrats on your decision. The Epic is a great bike.
    It's gonna be a great choice for me transitioning from hard tail to full suspension while still maintaining what I like the most, speed and climbing power.

For a couple weeks I thought about going with the new 2008 Trek Remedy 9 with 6.3 inches of travel but I don't think I'd like that.

What's it mean on the Epic specs, front rotor 160mm and 185mm, do you get a choice?

mtbr member
    Small and Medium frames get 160
    Large and X Large get 185

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a carbon fiber frame and taking it out on the trail. I used to crash every ride. Now that my skill level has improved it might be every 5th rice and it is usually worse since I take more challenging obstacles then I would have dared to a year ago. So even if I could afford it and I cannot I wouldn't dream of owning one. YMMV. I have an '07 Stumpjumper FSR Pro frame coming in aluminum though. Best of luck whichever you choose.

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    I'm starting to think that carbon is best left for road bikes.

mtbr member
    Rttr,

The idea that carbon is less durable and more susceptive to damage after a crash really isn't true. I ride an aluminum frame but if given the opportunity (in other words, if I had the money), I would be on a carbon frame. I began working at a bike shop 2 years ago and the guy who owns the shop has ridden a carbon Scott Scale the entire time I have known him. In fact, of the normal 10 guys I ride with, the store owner has convinced 5 of them to switch from an aluminum frame to a carbon frame and they all say they would never go back. I personally have watched each of them crash pretty hard on their bikes and nothing but a new scratch seems to show. I asked a few weeks ago about how many carbon frames the owner had seen trashed after a spill and he said that in 14 years, he had only seen one. This really surprised me as I had always believed the same as everyone thinks; that carbon is flimsier than aluminum. If you can get the Marathon package on either carbon or aluminum, I would def. choose the carbon.
    - Just livin' the dream -

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kersh13
    Rttr,

The idea that carbon is less durable and more susceptive to damage after a crash really isn't true. I ride an aluminum frame but if given the opportunity (in other words, if I had the money), I would be on a carbon frame. I began working at a bike shop 2 years ago and the guy who owns the shop has ridden a carbon Scott Scale the entire time I have known him. In fact, of the normal 10 guys I ride with, the store owner has convinced 5 of them to switch from an aluminum frame to a carbon frame and they all say they would never go back. I personally have watched each of them crash pretty hard on their bikes and nothing but a new scratch seems to show. I asked a few weeks ago about how many carbon frames the owner had seen trashed after a spill and he said that in 14 years, he had only seen one. This really surprised me as I had always believed the same as everyone thinks; that carbon is flimsier than aluminum. If you can get the Marathon package on either carbon or aluminum, I would def. choose the carbon.
    Carbon Epic is back in the running! This is actually exactly what I finally wanted to hear about carbon frames, I was going to contact my LBS about what you just wrote. But now I probably am not going to bother.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i can almost feel how much you want the carbon framed model from here lol, just go get it man!!!!

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    i can almost feel how much you want the carbon framed model from here lol, just go get it man!!!!
    I do I do! Please mommy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ok, not to be completely shallow, but come on, carbon looks SOOOO SEXY...see photo

But on more technical notes, I've tried both the CF and the Al epics and the CF has a bit better ride quality in that I had less hand fatigue (noticeably less vibration), although you can get that from CF handlebars too. I also took a couple bad falls on my CF epic, but it looks no worse for wear...I ended up more injured than it did. Now, if you plan on riding in rock gardens for most of your rides, Al is probably a better idea because either material will end up breaking if you do something stupid and the Al is much cheaper to replace...

w3rd.
    I'm actually shocked at how close that poll truly is. I expected a landslide with carbon because it's SUPPOSE to be lighter, stiffer, etc.

I have a full carbon Scott Scale from 2005 that is literally a pain in the ass to ride. I've been looking into specialized for some time and was certainly thinking of the Epic. Carbon vs. Aluminum is still a big debate to me as well, and being that I do work in a shop that carries Specialized, there is still a massive price gap between Aluminum and Carbon at a cost level.

I'll be checkin' back for more informing posts

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Liquid
    I'm actually shocked at how close that poll truly is. I expected a landslide with carbon because it's SUPPOSE to be lighter, stiffer, etc.

I have a full carbon Scott Scale from 2005 that is literally a pain in the ass to ride. I've been looking into specialized for some time and was certainly thinking of the Epic. Carbon vs. Aluminum is still a big debate to me as well, and being that I do work in a shop that carries Specialized, there is still a massive price gap between Aluminum and Carbon at a cost level.

I'll be checkin' back for more informing posts
    You can have this thread, I decided once and for all to buy the 2008 Trek Remedy 9, a completely different bike than the Epic but more suited for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well that was a turn around that i wasnt expecting to see lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Crap, those aren't exactly cheap, or even the same kind of bike. You coulda gotten an Epic Marathon M5 + a lower end Stumpy or Enduro.
    Oh well enjoy anyway.

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    well that was a turn around that i wasnt expecting to see lol
    And no deciding between alu and carbon.. Btw I don't have it yet it doesn't come out for another 3-4 months. I'm gonna put one on order at my dealer in the next month or two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    lol i think trying to make a decision between aluminium and carbon was melting the poor fellows brain, its like a guy trying to choose between a ferrari and a lambo, then he suddenly says, ahh screw this im buying a hummer!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast