mtbr member
    Dec 2013

2008 Epic Brain shock

Can somebody recommend a different rear shock for my '08 Epic. From day one the future shock has given me problems. In the first year I had the bike it went back to the dealer several times and it always leaked air (sagged) within a couple rides.

I just got back into riding again after a couple years due to lack of time, injuries etc. and of course the shock is shot again. I dropped it off at a auth dealer for the rebuild. The original dealer were I bought the bike is closed unfortunately. After three weeks I called the dealer for an update only to find out they hadn't shipped it out because they needed more info about the bike. They had "forgotten" to call me to let me know. I picked up the shock bc I really didn't want to spend a penny with them anymore. I emailed and called Specialized but they don't respond to my emails and on the phone they just tell me to find another dealer and wait.

I looked into buying a spare shock so I can have one serviced without downtime but have had no luck finding one yet.

Now that I'm in a position to be riding regularly again I want something that will just work or I can service myself. Are there options?

Thanks
    Martijn

<100%
    http://1mg.me/?w=500&h=500&filename=...p.jpg&f=Photos

Pulled this pict off the internet. Is it this shock? If so, you have no other options. Find a decent shop, have it sent to S for service and keep an eye out for used (spare) ones out there.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    The shocks are not overly complex and and so a service is very straight forward. Your best option is to lean on your LBS to ensure that they get the service done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's the shock I have. That's bad news that there's no alternative. I read up on the shock a little and it seems the design is flawed lots of people had issues with it in the beginning.

I'm all for supporting my LBS but the store that sold me the bike closed and it seems like other shop couldn't care less. Not enough money to be made on sending out a part I guess.

Anyone have a spare lying around?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Epic Brain shock-%24-kgrhqzhjdofgqm7o4h2brulyld86q%7E%7E60_57.jpg  

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tijnes View Post
    That's the shock I have. That's bad news that there's no alternative. I read up on the shock a little and it seems the design is flawed lots of people had issues with it in the beginning.

I'm all for supporting my LBS but the store that sold me the bike closed and it seems like other shop couldn't care less. Not enough money to be made on sending out a part I guess.

Anyone have a spare lying around?
    The 2007 models were very problematic - I had 2 replaced under warranty. My 2008 unit held up well until I sold the bike.

If you were to get another unit 2nd hand it is highly likely that unit will also require a service...

Your's needs a full Spec service. After years of having only a single Spec-service centre in country, I now have one in the city I live. A full service for both front and rear brain's cost me $140USD and took a week. The units came back "as new". That is the standard of service you should be looking for. If your city only has 1 LBS with affiitation to Spec you should be banging on the counter telling them that their service is not good enough and you'll be complaining to Spec if it doesn't improve.