Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Enduro SL?

mtbr member

2008 Enduro SL?

I'm on the verge of buying a 2007 Enduro SL. Either that, or I'll buy a Stumpy FSR. I'm sitting hard on the fence at the moment, actually. It's a very difficult choice between the two bikes.

I've heard though, that 2008 model Enduro SLs are on their way soon, possibly by July. And now I'm wondering whether it wouldn't make sense to sit back and wait and see what those new models hold. Does anyone know anything specific about what's in store for next year?

And hey, if you have any thoughts on the Stumpjumper FSR versus Enduro SL question, I'd love to hear those too. I wouldn't mind buying both bikes, but I do have to exercise a bit of fiscal restraint .

mtbr member
    May 2004
    check other threads for the same question...

SL without a doubt

mtbr member
    Thanks Notahammer. I've read the other Enduro SL threads. Lots of positive comments, to be sure. Price is a bit of an issue. I can get a Stumpy for $2200. The Enduro SL Expert that I'm looking at is $3200. It's a budget-buster, that's for sure. But, doggone it, the SL sure does feel nice when I'm on it. It's like they made the bike for me.

My big worry at the moment though is how the bike is for riding on level trails. I ride in hilly territory a fair bit, but some of my rides take me into extended areas of relatively flat terrain. I'm sure I'll like the SL while flying down some hill on a trail back in the woods. But will I regret the Enduro SL if I take, say, a 24-mile ride on dirt roads? That right there, I guess, is the question that's haunting me at the moment.

(And I'm curious about what's new in next year's models).

And too, there is just this big mental block that I have at paying so much for a bike. It'll be the most I've ever spent on a bike, and by a wide margin. Not sure how I'd ever explain it to my neighbors. One thing I've learned w/bikes though, is that you generally get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Thanks Notahammer. I've read the other Enduro SL threads. Lots of positive comments, to be sure. Price is a bit of an issue. I can get a Stumpy for $2200. The Enduro SL Expert that I'm looking at is $3200. It's a budget-buster, that's for sure. But, doggone it, the SL sure does feel nice when I'm on it. It's like they made the bike for me.

My big worry at the moment though is how the bike is for riding on level trails. I ride in hilly territory a fair bit, but some of my rides take me into extended areas of relatively flat terrain. I'm sure I'll like the SL while flying down some hill on a trail back in the woods. But will I regret the Enduro SL if I take, say, a 24-mile ride on dirt roads? That right there, I guess, is the question that's haunting me at the moment.

(And I'm curious about what's new in next year's models).

And too, there is just this big mental block that I have at paying so much for a bike. It'll be the most I've ever spent on a bike, and by a wide margin. Not sure how I'd ever explain it to my neighbors. One thing I've learned w/bikes though, is that you generally get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not sure how I'd ever explain it to my neighbors.
    It must really suck going through life worrying about things like this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not sure how I'd ever explain it to my neighbors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Not to sway you...

Get the SL.

Boulder, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    If you are doing long flat rides on a regular basis, the SL may not be the bike for you. I would want a Epic or a Stumpy. I would be fustrated without a more lockable suspension and the extra weight.
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

The Other Dude
    Both bikes are totally capable of what you are describing. It is going to come down to comfort, price, and in the end what you like. The Enduro SL will handle those rodes just fine, but the stumpy will most likely be more effiecient. In the same breath, the stumpy is a 5" travel bike, that is capable of ALOT more than people give it credit for......especially since the SL's release.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vercingetorix
    If you are doing long flat rides on a regular basis, the SL may not be the bike for you. I would want a Epic or a Stumpy. I would be fustrated without a more lockable suspension and the extra weight.
    Basically, what I wrote. And yes, at this point you have completely over-analyzed this. Just get the Stumpy if you are worried about:

1. Cost
    2. Weight
    3. Lockout
    4. What the neighbors will say

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    nobody answered his questions about the 2008 sl enduro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn
    Oh, now, I'm not really worried. I was just being a bit tongue-in-cheek there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    2008 SL Enduro?? Hmm fork improvements? Maybe a single crown fork. I wonder when will Specialized ever make a uninterupted seatpost for their StumpJumper

The Other Dude
    I know that they were testing a few different shocks to possibly use on the 08 SL, and being its first year out, i am sure there are somethings that are going to change on it for 08.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hmm, what you mean by testing a few different shocks? Is it specialized made shocks? Hmm, Im hinting more of their line is going to become Suspension Integeration system. Im sure in years to come, they will come out with their own line of single crown fork.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    hmm, what you mean by testing a few different shocks? Is it specialized made shocks? Hmm, Im hinting more of their line is going to become Suspension Integeration system. Im sure in years to come, they will come out with their own line of single crown fork.
    Yes it is their in house shocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, I have the feeling that in the future, all Specialized bike components will be build in house, wheelset, hubs..you name it

The Other Dude
    They do wheels and hubs already for road, and they are using their new MTB Roval on the factory epics.

dude with orange car
    I stopped by the LBS today and there was a dude from Specialized in, telling them about all the differences in the '08 bikes. I didn't listen in, but you should be able to get the info on the '08 models now or very soon from your bike shop.

Edit: dammit, no double post this time.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member

Inhouse Giblets And Non Frame Items...

I have put quite a few miles on S bikes and the family has sold many of them over the years. If you know their history, several years ago Spech had their 'in house' brand of hard giblets and major components (no shocks). They may do a decent design on their frames, Horst Leitner deservs the credit for the Horst linkage. As for their production line execution and quality control I have some personal thoughts which would be a far better place for Spech to spend their time rather forcing us buy their new inhouse unproven giblets.

Spech should leave the hub, and shock business to the pros with a long term and proven expertise in those areas. Need I drop a hint S&M??

The Stout 'grupo' was a complete failure. For those of you who don't recall the Stout line was Spech's 'in house' effort from hubs, cranks, etc, and I hope that I forgot the others. I say failure from the end user perspective. From Spech's perspective they may have made a bundle of profit but that was at the end users expense in a really negative way and only served to diminished the markets perception of Spech . We used to buy Spech bikes OEM'd only with the Stout garbage and when it prematurely went into failure we spent additional cash with some quality market products more befitting their bike framesets.

I am a bit disappointed to see the new front and rear 'Stout' forks/shocks. I hear that Spech has also rediscovered the hub market with their latest 'Stout' hub variant, is this rumor or more sad truth?

Suntour made a fantastic product line but I for one am not interested in their fork/shocks for my current riding pleasure.

Peace
    CS
    C.SPRINGS

mtbr member
    My 01 Stout hub is still working just fine. No issues in six plus years.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Can't see them doing much, from my experience with specialized over 20 years very minor tweaks, something like carbon as a front fork lower (from the Pace DT Swiss thing?) for the S-works, Carbon link. Obviously different colours. Everything else is sorted imho. previously got my next year bikes in OCT in the UK. Now as were on this subject 2009???

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    Spech should leave the hub, and shock business to the pros with a long term and proven expertise in those areas. Need I drop a hint S&M??

Peace
    CS

But Spesh hired the "pro's" for development for the Enduro SL suspension.

If a product performs well and is reasonably priced and holds up well, I dont care who's name brand is on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hmm, whats the difference in frame between a carbon S-Works and a non S-Works carbon bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS

I said the same thing when Fox introduced their forks.

HR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast