Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2008 Enduro Rear Shock Pressure

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  diskus 
#1 ·
I got a 2008 Enduro for Christmas and I love it, however, I've got a question regarding shock pressure. I've been using the dial on the rear shock (the F to S 1-4) setting to adjust for the type of terrain and type of riding that I'm doing, and about 2 months in, I realized that The F (firm) setting had become very soft. I went out and bought a shock pump and realized that the air pressure had dropped from top about 150psi (215psi is recommended for my weight). This drop in pressure had happened over the course of 2 months and approximately 125 miles of riding. This is understandable, but it leads me to my problem/question.

After purchasing my shock pump, I reset my front and rear shock pressures and the following day, I went on a 15 mile ride (consisting of some fast downhill with small drops and a lot of climbing). I didn't check the shock pressure right after the ride, but I checked it today (4 days later) and the rear shock pressure had dropped from 215psi to 150psi.

Here are my questions:
  1. Is this normal?
  2. Does my shock have a leak?
  3. Does riding on the stiff setting (F) cause the pressure to drop quicker? Since I've been using this setting I've noticed the shock becoming soft quicker.
It seems that the rear shock never drops below 150psi, but it doesn't seem to retain the recommended 215psi for very long either.

PS - I'm 6'5" and 200lbs.

See less See more
#3 ·
Try another shock pump?

I'd try another type of shock pump before going to far - I had something similar happen to me with my rear shock (thought it was leaking). It turns out that my BBB shock pump loses between 50 and 100 pounds depending on how fast you unscrew the 2 stage valve. I borrowed a Wrench Force shock pump from a mate of mine - it only loses about 10 pounds when you unscrew it.

brendo234 said:
I got a 2008 Enduro for Christmas and I love it, however, I've got a question regarding shock pressure. I've been using the dial on the rear shock (the F to S 1-4) setting to adjust for the type of terrain and type of riding that I'm doing, and about 2 months in, I realized that The F (firm) setting had become very soft. I went out and bought a shock pump and realized that the air pressure had dropped from top about 150psi (215psi is recommended for my weight). This drop in pressure had happened over the course of 2 months and approximately 125 miles of riding. This is understandable, but it leads me to my problem/question.

After purchasing my shock pump, I reset my front and rear shock pressures and the following day, I went on a 15 mile ride (consisting of some fast downhill with small drops and a lot of climbing). I didn't check the shock pressure right after the ride, but I checked it today (4 days later) and the rear shock pressure had dropped from 215psi to 150psi.

Here are my questions:
  1. Is this normal?
  2. Does my shock have a leak?
  3. Does riding on the stiff setting (F) cause the pressure to drop quicker? Since I've been using this setting I've noticed the shock becoming soft quicker.
It seems that the rear shock never drops below 150psi, but it doesn't seem to retain the recommended 215psi for very long either.

PS - I'm 6'5" and 200lbs.

G
#5 ·
easiest thing, bring it in and get it replaced

If you want pump it up to 250 remove it and place it under water, thats how I found my leak near the valve stem.

also Im 218lbs and 215 psi is way too stiff for me, not sure how yours is but I would use very little of the range of the shock at that pressure.

#7 ·
diskus said:
easiest thing, bring it in and get it replaced

If you want pump it up to 250 remove it and place it under water, thats how I found my leak near the valve stem.

also Im 218lbs and 215 psi is way too stiff for me, not sure how yours is but I would use very little of the range of the shock at that pressure.
215psi is too stiff for you? I use the dial quite a bit now... I've found a nice setting for the rebound that I just leave as is, but I'll put adjust the blue dial from the "S" setting for downhill, to the "F" setting for uphill. I'll agree, that at 215psi the "F" setting gives me virtually no range (which I like when climbing), but the "S" setting gives me great range and great responsiveness. As my rear shock loses pressure, I find the bike to become very unresponsive and flat.

Out of curiosity, what do you set your rear shock pressure to diskus?

G
#8 ·
I base my pressure on the range i use in my rides, after many rides I found that 170-180 allows me to use a majority of the range in my rides without ever bottoming out, I climb on full plush as well just concentrating on efficient strokes allows me to roll over stuff and no bob. On long fire roads Ill flip the compression to 3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.